Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Linux system freeze

Discussion in 'Release 28 Bug Forum' started by Wintermute of CoF, Apr 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Title: Linux system freeze
    Reproduction Rate:50%
    Blocker? Sort of
    Details: This, or something similar, has been happening occasionally since R27. It's very rare in my experience on Linux to have a userspace program lock up the system entirely, but SotA manages to do it quite frequently. It's been happening erratically, and with no access to the system until after reboot there's no way to get a stack trace or anything. Last night I came across a set of factors which caused several freezes so I figured I'd document the things that seem to be triggers:
    1. Start the game and head to a busy scene (e.g. an End of the World Party)
    2. Have some screen recording software running (I'm using ffmpeg with x11grab)
    3. Wait for some unusual audio (e.g. death music or fire up another audio source, like the flashplayer for Avatar's Radio)
    Just before the crash the audio starts breaking up, but there's no way to tell if this is related to the cause (some sort of infinite loop in PulseAudio) or just a symptom (something else sucks up all the system resources causing the audio to break up). Similarly screen recording puts additional load on the system but I've been able to record for hours a time when just running around by myself, so I think that additional load just makes the issue more likely, indicating there's some sort of timing/deadlock thing.

Here's a video of the crash happening:

User Specs:
    CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4) System RAM: 7982
    GPU: GeForce GTX 760/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 1024
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Linux.64.393.Date.03.07.16

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.