Long bow vs Short bow - which to use?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Psylent, Sep 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psylent

Psylent Avatar

I have been using a long bow since I started playing, only having tried using a short bow once and seeing how much less damage it was doing. Is there a reason to ever use a short bow over a long bow?

Thanks,

Psylent

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Effectively, no.

Longer answer, short bows are designed to be lower tier weapons which would be usable early in the game, and then players would move into using longbows. However, this design assumes there us some downside to using higher tier weapons, which there is not, so pkayers effectively ignore low-tier weapons like short bows, short swords, etc, and go for the better weapons immediately.

If they want to fix thus, Port's going to need to put skill requirements on gear, or make them have the same stats, otherwise there is an entire batch of gear that will simply never be used.

Fister Magee and 4EverLost like this.
  3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Found the shortbow lacking imensly. The speed for max draw is short but i found it wasnt worth it for the low damage or shorter range.
    That being said there might be builds who prefer that closer quarter quicker bursting shortbow, but it wasnt for me.

One of my buddies said he was running shortbow, when he plays healer.. but i havnt found a reason to pick one up myself.

4. helm

helm Avatar

One can hope that the current shortbows have been introduced as placeholders only, to be expanded into something useful in later episodes. Shortbows are not necessarily only entry-level weapons but carry potential advantages, such as higher rate of fire, and the ability to shoot from confined spaces such as from horseback, from a tree or, well, in confined spaces :) Also their damage output is not necessarily inferior, so they could very well be a weapon of choice for even the highest level of archers.

Emphasis on the word "hope" -- I'm not exactly holding my breath...right now they are indeed designed as lower tier stuff, if even that.

5. AceBenSuited

AceBenSuited Avatar

I feel they should be like daggers. Higher crit chance than the long guys. So you have to make the choice... better crit chance or better weapon dmg. Just imagine a pine short bow with supple leather string.

Concord and Ajacied1987 like this.
  6. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I agree with @helm ... I also think shortbows look better than the longbows. I'm not a fan of the starter weapon concept.... weapons, imo, should be something more representative as the selection of the right tool for a particular job.

Concord and Ajacied1987 like this.
  7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Yeah, I agree, especially with the current itemization implementation. There just needs to be reasons why you choose a sword sword over a longsword, or a short bow over a longbow. Currently, they are inferior in every way. As noted, criticals would be one way of doing that. Other games give them different attack speeds, so giving a short sword/bow a small attack speed bonus as part of the base item would also work.

Duke Avery likes this.
  8. Ajacied1987

Ajacied1987 Avatar

As an archer with a couple GM skills and loads of time spent in the archery tree I agree that shortbows should be usefull for something.

Atm they are extremely useless

MrBlight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.