Looking for second monitor advice.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Grave Dragon, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I saw and read a few other monitor threads but didn't want to hijack.

I'm currently running a Windows 10 machine with an nVidia 980 and an ASUS VS278Q-P Ultrafast 1MS 27-inch 60hz 1920x1080 monitor I got off amazon in 2014. I know my video card is capable of more than the monitor im currently using so I'm looking at options.

My end goal is to add a second (or possibly 2 new monitors) one to run SotA and the other to run teamspeak and other out of game tasks.

Would there be any performance issues if I bought a single same brand 144hz, higher resolution monitor to run in conjunction with the one I have now or is it better to buy 2 matching monitors for this purpose?

Any other insight or recommendation is welcome.

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I run on three 30" Dells at 2560x1440 typically with two Shroud clients and 3rd screen for forums or spreadsheets.

Running SLI 770s with 4 gb vid ram in each and performance is exceptional.

My recommendation is give the 1080 monitor to the kids and upgrade to either one higher resolution screen or a pair. 4k is still a bit too high. You really want to try and stay in same resolution. Not due to performance but rather user experience. Windows will need resized and such.

Check Newegg.com

3. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Thanks greyfox. Refresh rate and resolution still don't seem to go hand in hand, which do you think I should prioritize?

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I think DPI is most important but factor in fps. High DPI creates a more realistic video presentation so long as FPS is maintained. Really best to see some monitors in person and see which looks best. Read reviews. I am a fan of Dell monitors.

Grave GodsHammer likes this.
  5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

If possible, I would recommend to get the identical monitor in case in the future you want a 3rd one.

It's actually pretty cool playing SotA in windowed mode with 3 monitors.

6. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Having dealt with mismatched monitors(brand and age) I was never able to get color to match from one to another. Even getting close took hours of fiddling with both the video card settings and the monitor settings.

Grave GodsHammer likes this.
  7. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

I use 3 monitors and similar to OP doing different things on them. I usually play on middle DELL 24" 1920 X 1200 resolution, and use side ones for secondary tasks. I use smaller monitors on both sides - 21" Acer. All monitors are pretty old, but they served me well for years, the colors and everything is still great, so I never bothered to buy anything newer. Side monitors have 1280 x 1024 resolution. I think all my monitors use the same default refresh rate of 60. I use GTX970 as GPU.

I don't think there will be a problem if you buy 144 monitor and connect it adjacent to your old one. I would of course use it as main, if I were you :), which obviously that is what you planning to do. Nvidia cards today have two separate monitor connection as well as mini-DVI. I would use the 144 one and your best old monitor on those default connections and if you want third monitor, connect it through mini-DVI, which will require special adapter.

The only problem with this, to having monitors of different kind and different refresh rate, is if you decide to play SOTA in expanded resolution spanned across all three of the monitors. Your eye will be able to tell the difference which will increase the strain eventually and contribute to your eyes getting tired faster.

If you plan to play SotA spanned out, then sell old monitors on eBay, and buy 3 same ones, if you don't plan to play SotA spanned out, then just get one middle one as big and as cool as you want and use side ones whatever. That what I would do.

Kaffien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.