Lord British Ultima 6 comparison with Zelda Breath of the Wild

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carlin the Druid Archer, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I'm playing Zelda Breath of the Wild and I have to agree.
    Also the game has an atmosphere I only got from the old Ultima games.

Somehow this game is more Ultima than SotA. With a party of heroes and a more interactive world (moving items around - yes I know some items can be moved with the magnet, but I meant a more general interaction with items like in Ultima 7), this could really be some kind of new Ultima.

Sir Cabirus, Koldar and docdoom77 like this.
  3. mercster

mercster Avatar

Oh wow...I am impressed by what I have seen of the Switch and Breath of Fire has gotten good reviews...but if you're telling me it reminds of U6, count me in! I know it is a sort of sandbox...are there lots of items laying around to pick up or not, or is it more static akin to the previous Zeldas?

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I won't compare, although the author's parallels are right.
    Zelda BotW is a great game , but SotA is also a great game , it lacks this sort of content yet, but I do not doubt that exactly this style of content is coming . North Drachvald Spur shows it is possible and with more time, money and manpower the devs will create much more variations in scenes and dynamic quests/ content.
    I do not expect this is ready for release, I expect the game is released "too early" for the masses, but will be better and better and richer in features. No doubt the devs are delivering step by step new content and features as they do the past months the and years.

5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It is more static. There are many items you can pick up and there is the option to use some sort of magnet-feature to move metallic objects around (to solve puzzles) but it is not possible to move every item around you see.

It would be bad for SotA to be released too early and with not enough and good enough content. Release will be when the game will be reviewed and rated and bad reviews could damage the game long-term very badly.

6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

While BotW is more static in some ways, there is a huge amount of things you can do to modify the world. Boulders can be rolled, rocks can be lifted and thrown, trees can be chopped down, mining nodes can be destroyed, etc. It would be nice if there were more interactive items (heck, I'd like to see more NPCs at all in Zelda), but its not a bad foray into open world design.

7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I absolutely agree.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  8. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Well, both are single player games, common sense to see more similarities between them, SotA is a MMORPG, with a playable option for single-player (imho very poorly developed atm).

They are trying to bring some things from Ultimas to SotA, but this doesn't mean they are trying to make a new Ultima. This is something people should start to understand after 4 years of development.

9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Which is why it is compared to Ultima VI, and not SotA. But there are things there to be learned for SotA development.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  10. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I am really trying hard not to buy the Switch just to play Breath of the Wild... But I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out with all these rave reviews.

The thing is I barely have time to play SotA much less two games. That being said, I am enjoying this game more and more. Recently, I played through a side quest in Ardoris, and it was *pretty close* to what I have come to expect from this game.

It wasn't immediately obvious how to complete the quest- which I like- although I was somewhat foiled by the blue glow around an NPC... Had forgotten to turn that off.

Though comparisons between the Zelda and Ultima series are inherently strained, they most certainly share in the fact that these are the only two games that I would- and have- purchased a new system just to be able to play.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.