Lore ?

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Galdar Grimmstone, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galdar Grimmstone

Galdar Grimmstone Avatar

Has anyone started a depository of lore ? trying to hunt and scratch thru here is difficult to say the least. Any ideas gang??

Ravicus Domdred and Razimus like this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Have you read Blade of the Avatar?

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    get ready for the can of worms you just opened :D

4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

We have started on it at SotAwiki. There isn't a lot of background, beyond what is in BotA, but we've been slowly building up.

You can start looking in the Lore category (http://sotawiki.net/sota/Category:Lore) and follow links to what else you want to see. Feel free to ask if you can't find something.

5. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I'd recommend reading Blade of the Avatar and playing the game, and gleaning what you can from what we know. The in-game story is only in framework stages, w/out the yet to be revealed NPC quests we don't know too much about the lore beyond the current bestiary and Blade of the Avatar, which is a cool book. Generally speaking my rule of thumb is Earthling traditions are foreign concepts, outlanders shouldn't destroy the local customs and traditions of the Novians (But they will and they will revel in doing so). We will really have to see the finished game to see how Blade translates into the game world. Previous Ultimas are a great backdrop w/ a lot of cool public domain mythologies as well.

6. Galdar Grimmstone

Galdar Grimmstone Avatar

Well...

Yes I have Blade of the Avatar as a reward for my pledge. BTW, it is also 200 years (or so) in the past at this point.

Ive done the gleaning from quests, posts, etc etc...

I merely asked if anybody has put all this together in one easy reachable place so that we can start to form some better ideas for our player towns and 'toons that live in more far flung areas of Novia. IE Verdantis, etc etc

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Sadly we do not have anything more. There was some deep dive discussions about it, let me look for the source.

Cordelayne and Galdar Grimmstone like this.
  8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

9. RoseVelika

RoseVelika Avatar

Well I really want to know more about the lore here but I also really don't want to spend an extra 15$ to make my RP more reliable.

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

You will find more lore in the game than through those sneak peaks.

enderandrew likes this.
  11. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

It is worth spending $15 to buy a book that is entertaining in its own right.

But I think we need some clarification on this item. I believe it was temporarily pulled.

I think Portalarium was going to self-publish the hard copies for pledge rewards, but an actual publisher picked up the book and signed Tracy Hickman to a deal to turn it into a trilogy, but on the condition that he add some chapters to the first book to lengthen it. I assume the add-on was pulled for one and possibly two reasons.

1. They're waiting on the new, lengthier version
    2. The publisher and Portalarium are trying to figure out how to handle revenue splits on selling the book.

I will write up a basic overview on lore for the setting here in a bit.

12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Blade of the Avatar was picked up for publishing by Tor, and they wanted more chapters and edits done. It will be published and available through standard bookstores. They also picked up two additional books in the series.

The first book, Blade of Midras, will be published in hardback on June 21, 2016 (estimated). The other two books will follow, but are unnamed and without dates as of yet. Here is the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Midras-...445103519&sr=8-1&keywords=Blade+of+the+Avatar

Here is the info from Macmillan (Which Tor is an imprint of):

http://us.macmillan.com/theswordofmidras/tracyhickman

We have not heard yet if the signed copy of the book will be ones from Tor's print run, or if Portalarium will be doing a print run of their own. I'm assuming if they are providing paperbacks they will do their own, rather than waiting several months for Tor to do theirs. Hardbacks would be significantly more expensive (both to subsidize and ship) than paperbacks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.