Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Lot to Expire notification

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Sheamus McGuinness, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

I think it would be good to have a notification upon login, similar to when you sell something on a vendor, that tells you if your lot is about to expire because of taxes or other.

I had a lot expire recently and I originally paid the taxes for as long as I could but because I rarely ever use the lot (its for events) I did not check it and it accidentally expired.

Having a simple notification that uses a system that is already implemented to warn people would be really helpful to prevent this! Thoughts?

Womby, Vox Aquila, Sqrink and 15 others like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm not a huge fan of the messages on login and in the chat windows. I often miss them, or fail to notice how many duplicates there are if I've sold the same thing a few times.

What I'd rather have is a book that kept track of that stuff long term, like an accounting book. Something I could file away in-game would be nice too. Like I could have an active book that recorded all that stuff for me.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  3. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

Yeah, I think something is better than nothing in this case!

Leelu, Razimus and margaritte like this.
  4. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Some kind of notification would be nice!

Leelu, Razimus and margaritte like this.
  5. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I imagine an email notification would work better.

Leelu, Razimus and Lord Barugon like this.
  6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

We already have an in-game log of rental payments (the U dialogue box). I would welcome a push notification at log on.

7. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

I agree @Kara Brae as we have had at least two rather major events threatened due to folks not clicking the U key and determining that they were running short on paid up taxes. It was much easier when we had to use the U key to /zone to a lot. Now, with the teleport and recall scrolls it is no longer necessary to look at lot deeds. Some sort of automated notice that one has 2-3 days left prior to the unforgiving action of being booted from your lot would be handy. @DarkStarr?

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Why don't we ask Port to call us if the lot expires?
    We have a Log. Just press U.

Alley Oop likes this.
  9. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Admittedly we have U. However lot expiration is serious business, and the consequences of forgetting to check on tax payment status in time are great. The proactive U solution is ideal for people who never forget anything, never miss an appointment, and never have to look for their keys. :(

10. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Alternatively, people could mark their lot expiration dates on external paper or digital calenders, so they won't forget.

Even if there is an alert at login, three might still be a chance that people would click "OK" subconsciously without reading anything.

However since they already have an alert system for vendoring, maybe it won't hurt to add the lot expire alert.

Leelu and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  11. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I remember beta testing UO and Garriott had off the wall ideas that never got implemented like having the ability to have kids, etc, but one of his never used ideas was really good. In 1997 he talked about getting a reminder message on your phone that your lot is about to expire. This was back in 1997 before texting! If a text warning message existed that would be amazing. People will have to be dead or dying to not care about a really good lot placement, so it's pretty important to have a reminder of such, good idea, more warnings the better!

Leelu, Fister Magee and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  12. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Yah, no extra features for this please, just press the "U" key and be a responsible avatar with your rents.

I feel the exact opposite about this ;) (except for things that occur during in-game actions, those sorts of warnings are OK).

Also, do lots auto refresh on login now? Does one have no need for fiddling with things in the house / opening front door to "refresh" the lot timer? I have 3 lots in R28 but I only ever visit one of them. Yet all 3 state "Days Remain 119" every time I am logged in. Is this a bug, or does simply logging in refresh the use of the lot?

13. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

My tax free lot always says 119 days. Could it be that that number was just plugged in as a placeholder for tax-free lots during the pre-alpha (time between wipes never exceeds that number)?

Leelu likes this.
  14. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I dont think so, I often keep tabs on the days remaining for some choice lots in various towns ;). There is a city lot across the street from me that is going to expire in a few days, though very recently, the owner put up a Kobold City home. That one has me confused as to how lot expiration works. Lots of lots have between 1-30 days ticked by on the expiration time, which often seems to correlate to the frequency the owner logs in and plays. Up until R26 I used to see the countdown on my lot expiration time, and it would reset a few seconds after I clicked the lot marker / opened front door (not sure which did the trick).

Maybe I should start a separate thread asking about this...

Leelu likes this.
  15. Selene

Selene Avatar

The ones with timers shorter than 30 days are likely add-on lots or ones bought with gold, and so reflect days of taxes paid.

Leelu and stratigos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.