Magery System

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by jondavis, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cazador

Cazador Avatar

Based off what I said earlier and weaving spells..

10 levels of magic per tier..
    Black Magic 1-10
    I'm not good at naming spells so I'll go off of UO or even more generic
    Each spell has a mastery level 1-10 that can be increased at any point to increase difficulty..
    So say a level 3 spell in your book is Fireball.. To "Master" the fireball spell you have to get it to level 10 through use or spell mastery scrolls..and once you've mastered that specific spell it take 25% less reagents to cast and if you master every spell in the level you get a 5% Spell damage bonus and 50% less Reagents to cast..and if you master all spells in the current magic school you get a 10% spell damage bonus and 75% less Reagent to cast..

With that said alone adds more depth to the magic caster..you need to increase your magery level/skill points..as well as increase spell levels which could make for an expensive more in depth magic class..that could literally take months of heavy powergaming to master

steorrawulf and jondavis like this.
  2. Cazador

Cazador Avatar

Weapons/Armor could work the same way..
    A weapon has a melee skill attached to it, lets use swords as an example

Instead if saying okay, you have swordsmanship you can use any weapon that is tagged as swordsmanship, their are specific tiers
    -Bladed- Concussion Blow, Paralyze , Double Strike
    -Polearms- Dismount, Knockback,
    -Piercing- Armor Ignore, Bleed Attack,
    And each has a set of 3 specials that needed to be mastered to decrease stamina usage..and once you've mastered all specials/tiers stamina use is decreased and you recieve damage buffs

As well each melee comes with supporting skills to increase damage and accuracy

Battle Tactics
    Anatomy
    Accuracy

steorrawulf and jondavis like this.
  3. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

4. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Here is a thought on reagents.

First, what is the point of a reagent? It limits the casting of the spell to make it a special thing, right? Cause, if the "reagents" are dust from any floor, combined with the character's saliva, and rust from a regular dagger, then we all have limitless supplies, and who cares? No, reagents are somewhat rare and special, they give us an "ammo clip" on our spell casting.

But how rare? If the reagent is so hard to get that almost nobody has it, if the only place it grows is in one high mountain valley far to the north, then that spell ain't gettin cast much. But if it's very common, like a fast blooming weed we couldn't keep out of our gardens if we tried, then we are back to limitless supply again.

How many can I hold, how much can I carry? If individual reagents are as grains of sand, why not carry a 500 gram bag with me everywhere I go? When I encounter the reagent I stop and harvest till the sun goes down, when I enter combat I can cast all night long. But if the individual reagents are heavy, or cumbersome, like a two lb root that must be kept wet and alive at all times before casting, then suddenly nobody can ever have more than, say, thirty of them ready to go, ever. I hope that isn't a spell you plan to cast a lot.

And then my point. Group play. Small teams, big teams, raids, pvp, it doesn't much matter. If the cool thing about my character is the spells he can cast, and those spells require an "ammo clip", then I will be cool and useful and dangerous and able to play for PRECISELY as long as I have ammo. Once I run out, I might as well afk. Everyone else will want to keep playing. But I won't be part of it anymore. What if they were relying on me and my spells? What if I'm the healer? If an eighty man raid has to stop and wait while the main healer gets more reagents, even once, ever, in the history of the game, it will be a news item on the forums. If it happens multiple times per raid???

So, Scylla and Charibdis, reagents do the job of making spells more special, but if we make them TOO special, we change the meaning of special and start applying it to the spellcaster. And nobody wants to be told that his character isn't viable because of a game mechanic.

Edit: Oh, and that remote mountain valley? In an MMO, it will be camped 24-7-365, and every time a reagent spawns it will have thirty people clicking to grab it all at once. Imagine the griping from all that time spent trying to get one EFFING flower.

5. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

So in UO if you ran out of regs it was either back to the bank to get more or what happened most of the time was someone would give you enough to continue fighting.
    Once everyone was out of regs then yea it was time to leave the fight.

And going to the bank did not take long.
    1. recall to bank/house
    2. get regs
    3. ask for a gate
    4. friend in dungeon places gate to bank - you go into gate - your back fighting again

6. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Just remember, eventually every caster WILL reach whatever effective cap there is on these bonuses, and it will go from being the mark of a supreme caster to being the basic level of skill needed to play. Endgame content is where every single player will be if given long enough. And the people who pay the programmer's salaries, who rent the server space and hire the IT department, they want to see long term play, and a stable game. So do most of the players, for that matter.

I would propose that there be some aspect of the system that has no maximum level. Tiny, incrimental gains, say, 0.01% damage bonuses, but with no upper limit, so the spell you like to really master, and have been casting for 5 years, you are extra good at, and we can feel it. The spells you ignored to GET that bonus? Not so much. This boss calls for some epicly damaging fireballs? Call Blazehead, he's leveled his fireball like nobody's business. This boss is immune to fire damage? Um, Blaze, buddy, I hope you have a backup spell you bothered to level...

7. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Would anyone want to expand on this and what all the different classes mean?
    Or what schools they fall into?
    And would you rather have classes or just different spells to learn under a Mage title?

Mage
    Magician
    Sorcerer
    Wizard
    Conjurer
    Necromancer
    Witch - Warlock
    Witch Doctor
    Priest
    Cleric
    Monk
    Druid
    Enchanter
    Shaman
    Voodoo
    Medium
    Channeller

And should some spells or classes effect you being good or evil?

8. Ara

Ara Avatar

In teamfights mages were very powerful especially with the overpowered wrestle stun but a well played melee character with some magic just about always won a 1 vs 1.

My guild have entered so many free for all duel tourneys with macers with a little magery and they won all they entered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.