Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Magic is Too Underwhelming for New Players

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Beaumaris, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Magic is too underwhelming to impress a new player to SOTA.

Maybe its ok choosing mage to start out. But with a ranger or melee, not so much. Today for the first four times as a ranger I used the gust skill, no effect. Wind. But nothing else. A new player to SOTA will expect to cast a spell and see something happen. Not cast it four times with no effect. Then I used healing touch. My health bar moved.... imperceptibly. Tried again. Again, practically no effect. A totally underwhelming experience for a starting player.

Food for thought. MMO players have many choices on the market. Many give new games a go and get a feel for them very early on with the new character experience. The magic experience in SOTA is underwhelming for new characters, particularly those not taking the path of truth. True, it might get better. But is there enough hook for new players to the game to keep them early on? Honestly I don't play new games long that are this underwhelming to start as I see with the current state of some magic spells.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Quenton and Leelu like this.
  2. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

A spellbook where you could add scrolls you find wouldn't be a bad idea, at all. Just sayin'

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Tie first-tier spells to reagents, make reagents boost the spells power, start off players with some reagents for the spells they started off with. :D

Leelu likes this.
  4. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Magic is not supposed to be overwhelming at start, it should be around 80 (in the skill you use). A good mage is a well trained mage (or vice versa).

Lord Baldrith and Leelu like this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

You sound like you're in a bit of a hurry.....
    The way it is here, is that you go out and use those skills, gain experience in them, and then they will come up to your expectations.
    If you're looking for a game where you are awesome in the beginning, then I'm afraid this one is not for you. ;)

Lord Baldrith and Leelu like this.
  6. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

A great way to solve this is to give the Player a taste of what is to come through NPC showcase. A manufactured role model in essence. If we could meet someone in the starter scenes that was extremely good at the path we chose, and see them do something really cool to a group of bad guys, we'd have our "carrot on a stick" moment to lead Players into a training montage. ;)

Insinious FizzleThorpe and Leelu like this.
  7. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

I so admire those who do play mage's. You look so wicked when the spells actually work.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.