Markee Dragon's interview with Atos

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ephialtes, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Or places that have a mob of people suddenly. Why are there 20 people in Kiln? Lets have a look!

2. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

This makes me chuckle a bit here. First, not all of us are blindly biatching about things. I keep a general rule that if I complain, I offer up what I think a solution would be.

Second, every time Chris, Starr or Richard make a snide comment about haters (Reddit, Steam, Forums).. I cringe. Whether they admit it or not, they are responsible for them and especially how they affect the community. Instead of copping out and saying haters will be haters, they should be looking at them as a pool of potential players. Inside all of the biatching that is done, there are nuggets of information that can help them.

One of the worst mistakes they have made is the decision not to have a community manager. Someone who is focused on the working with all of the community. Instead they think it's wise to put the three of them upfront/public on discussions and streams and then they make gaffes. The whole Duke Backer Reward was a total gaffe that could have been avoided. Richard, Chris and Starr are not the right people to be upfront and visible as much as they are.

Daily stand-ups... Starr is preparing for the live stream. What a waste of time. Preparing for the live stream means not focused on this game. Starr getting ready to DJ after a release. Waste of time, not focused on the game. Chris gets on the forums saying he is shipping boxes. Do you know how lambasted he gets for saying that? He offended the haters. He offended the backers who haven't received their boxes. He offended those that are looking for substantial fixes/changes to the game. Total gaffe that could be avoided. A "good" community manager puts the proper face on things. These guys are not good community managers, these guys should be focused on the game.

3. oplek

oplek Avatar

I agree. For all the grief Berek got, he understood this. He'd come punch *us* in the face attacking the Reddit folk. As a developer, I'm glad I have people to be diplomatic with clients for me.

4. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Diplomatic... yes! It provides a barrier/buffer.

Asari likes this.
  5. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

I miss the "Good Old Days" of the "Like" of a UO Community Manager.... Callandryll

He was an EPIC representative in UO 20 odd Years ago...

evillego6 likes this.
  6. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Even the game's detractors seemed to like and respect Rustic Dragon. Truly great guy.

It never seemed to me that Berek was given the ability to truly manage the community, maybe a product of having to wear many hats.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  7. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

That MegaDragon mode for 60 seconds was cool.

Maybe for our wishlist we can add a monster mode for players in a scene. PVP area where half the players are the 'monsters'. Give them monster abilities. Like Fire for Dragons and so on.

Thinking it would be far tougher taking out a player / monster than an AI monster. Could be interesting :D

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

Calling BS on that.

Sorry, but the reddit people do a lot of damage to the game in the name of being true fans or something. They do social engineering both here and on reddit, start threads with the intention of stirring up ill feeling and I think people should be aware of it and speak out against those in the community that partake in that. Its disgusting behavior actually, almost getting towards cyberbullying, and it shouldnt be tolerated in any healthy community.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

To the point of doxxing and literately impersonating my real person on the web in order to "prove" that what they say about me is true.

Literally "We don't like Vlad, so we're going to make accounts using his real name and post fake things around the net as though he's the ones saying it."

Creepers, big time. That includes the ones that laugh about it instead of saying "Stop doing things like that, you make us all look like psychos."

It's only a handful of them, but the ones who are continuing to participate in behavior like that have some serious mental issues.

That being said, if 20 people showed up from here on reddit and had good discussions over there, those six creepers would be irrelevant. You don't even have to engage with their trash talk, just put them on ignore and discuss like normal people.

But no one shows up, so they just sit there and spew.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You know as well as I do that they would poison any thread and it would degrade into a flame war. No thanks.

11. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

I socially engineer my statements everyday. I place very specific responses to illustrate my points, views, concerns. I have a message and I very tactfully place my responses to get my message across. The right “I agree” here... the right “dissent” there. That’s not “social engineering”, which is just a big buzz word that most everyone tosses around like candy. It’s call “communication”. I have a message that I want delivered to a specific set of people and I craft my responses to where appropriate.

The people that are making these responses aren’t the Devil. They aren’t Evil. They are hurt/betrayed. They’ve invested time and money into this game and felt like they were just dumped/left behind. Whose fault is that? Portalarium (RG, ST, CS) by putting their fingers in their ears and ignoring it or by calling them names is simply fueling the fire and acting very childish.

“Shouldn’t be tolerated in any healthy community”... < - - - - They ARE part of this community. This community is NOT healthy. The moment you start viewing it as US vs THEM, then you’ve lost the community. And this is where Portalarium is failing miserably. They need to get a good community manager and they need to start working/addressing this now. Otherwise they are trying to swim the ocean to get to Episode 2 with a 1000lb anchor attached to their ankles. Good luck with that.

HannahAlpenglow2 likes this.
  12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Having been the direct target of doxxing, harassment, public impersonation, and lie based brigading to censor me, let me take a firm stand and say that none of those remaining six are people that we want in this community.

There is no need to cry for them, most of them sold off their pledges for a profit and bragged about it on reddit, they didn't take a hit financially. The only one who didn't uses it as a weapon to abuse anyone else (not in the gang) that has sold even one of their items.

These people might not be bad to their real life friends, may not be evil to their family, but they are evil on the internet. Their anonymity leads them to despicable behavior and you should not be standing up for them.

They use anti-LGBTQ hate speech quite regularly as the nickname for @Lord Trady of Blix, and similar hate speech against former and current members of the development team. They body shame people, used sexist remarks about Serafina when she was still working here, on and on. It takes about three minutes of reading in RAW to be disgusted by the vomit they write.

And like a gang, they sit around hooting and hollering about how funny they are with all the hate speech and name calling, escalating with every post, trying to see who can come up with the next more vile comment than the last.

That is the definition of bad people.

It is naive to think that there are no rotten eggs in the world, and out of about 60,000 original backers, of course there would be half a dozen who are truly evil. Read their posts, they convict themselves.

Fortunately they were shown the door so they don't bring their rot to the rest of the community.

And because they were banished the community remains healthy. Because hate speech and abuse is not tolerated in the forums or in the game, we have what is commonly called "One of the best game communities I've ever seen" in reviews and online.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  13. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

There are quite a few bad eggs on this side of the fence as well , however since they're pro literally anything for sota, people have no issue. There's atrocious behavior from both sides, including doxxing.

Superbitsandbob likes this.
  14. HannahAlpenglow

HannahAlpenglow Avatar

@Vladamir Begemot what you describe has no place, none, anywhere. So at least that isn’t here in these forums.

But @macnlos makes a fair point beyond that small group of very not nice people on other boards. In game this community is amazing. On these forums it is more challenging, as I guess it might be on all forums. I have made several posts in the past six months expressing my dismay about some things that have driven me away; I made them in the small hope things would change. But trust me, I was attacked privately in messages here (by players, not Port, to be clear) for not towing the company line that all is fine and only Port knows best. It is tough when so many see constructive but direct criticism as an attack on Port and nothing more than that.

15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

This is no good either, if it can't be said publicly don't say it.

16. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

This was done on these forums as well, by some fairly prominent posters. Posts were moderated thankfully, but those posters retain both their ability to post here and high stature within the community. I imagine due in part to the removal of offending posts before people in the community read them.

Sir Frank likes this.
  17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I have not seen this personally, but should be reported immediately. In my opinion Doxxing is grounds for banishment.

I missed this one too.

I haven't seen much more than heated arguments here, and moderation of personal attacks tends to keep things under control in those arguments. If there are bad apples here, they aren't finding a fertile ground to grow their hate trees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.