Marketing Tavern needed for Avatars who want to help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lyndoman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

It may be a good idea if those who have something to offer from a marketing pov, were able to contribute in a more organised fashion.

An official "Marketing Guild", so to speak who would throw out ideas, make sure social media gets pushed, keep an eye out for media mentions, point out where things like, ahem, SEO can be improved on the site ;)

Those who have fan sites could benefit from advice on things like how best to link to the site and basic SEO and social media advice. It would be of real importance if the fan sites employed best practice, digital marketing.

Yeah I know "marketing" may sound a bit naff. But do you think Elon Musk was thinking about marketing when he chucked a car into space, sure he was. Marketing is something we do all the time and it's dead interesting, no really it is.

I feel I should put more of a plan together and propose something with more shape. But, this is just an idea I am throwing out there to see what dragons' blood flows out.

It must be fun of course and I would love to see :

• A series of "buzzfeed" type articles like, 10 Worst ways to die in Shroud when hunting rabbits
    • A diary of a noob, someone who plays from day one and publishes daily. Has to have a specific style which catches the imagination
    • A contest between fansites with Portalarium giving goodies, you could have a contest for someone who thinks up the best contest for example.
    • Every player probably has a social media footprint, and the ability to promote the game and specific narratives, a primer could be given on what to do and what not. We don't want to encourage spam but it's useful to channel the passion.
    • A primer should also be given on how to deal with trolls and negativity, yes I realised mentioning this will invite trolls.
    • A more detailed guide to building a fansite (actually I don't think there is any yet) with a more clear idea what is allowed and what is not.
    • Clear narratives in how the game is to be communicated, is it an RPG, a virtual world, is COTO the new cryptocurrency ;)....etc. I know we all have our opinion, but for the purposes of marketing the game we have to define the mindset and psychographic profile and deliver a clear and concise narrative of what the game is. I don't know exactly what this should be and would love to hear the opinions of others.
    It's fantastic that Portalarium has crowdsourced the funding of this game, now time to crowdsource the marketing.

Would love to hear from others who have professional experience in this space. My day job is in this area and I have about 20 years experience under my belt.
    If Port already have a fixed plan, good stuff, I am sure we can help out how we can.

Launch, AKA Attack of the Noobs ;) is going to be a hoot.

@Berek I am assuming I should ping you on this idea.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  2. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I love the idea, this is great! One thing we want to support more in the community are fansites, groups, guilds, and other ways for the community to not only reach out among itself, but market themselves and the game to others. We can definitely help support the effort here too in many ways.

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

You called?

Owaitamoment.....

But it's a good idea (I mean the whole post of course). Alas I can't offer much but moral support on this one I guess.

Lyndoman likes this.
  4. keldonlighthand[BEAR]

keldonlighthand[BEAR] Avatar

I think this is a great idea, but alas I know nothing of marketing, just being a everyday engineer here. But will give any help I can and I'm sure any other Bears will gladly help where they can.

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Well, i was wrong. I actually had an idea a few weeks ago everybody can do/use that wishes to help.
    At the moment i am promoting SotA streams and events through twitter (in a neutral way so everybody can make up her/his own mind about the game) and with the correct # everybody can get a good reach, no matter the followers you have. Of course it is especially helpful whenever @Lord British himself presses the retweet button ^^
    But even without his help the correct # will do the trick.

Spoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.