Massively OP's Most Anticipated 'MMORPG' of 2018 - Voting Now Open, Shroud of the Avatar Nominated!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Berek, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

They included Star Citizen... in a poll for titles anticipated in 2018... That's amusing.
    2020, perhaps.

3. Fei Akhart

Fei Akhart Avatar

4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

88 (89) votes already. Cool.

I'm happy to see the comments thread mostly positive about various games so far. It's hard to "anticipate" Star Citizen for 2018 hah.

5. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Cordelayne likes this.
  6. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Whoop!

7. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Ok this is a serious question and i need to know the answer. I have been told time after time, for 2 years now even from dev, that SOTA is not a MMORPG. So what is the 2018 official response? I will vote on massivelyop.com polls for SOTA but the thing is i have been put the smack down on my response saying it IS an mmorpg while, majority reponses say its an mmo. What is the Official response on the genre of this game? Those who say its only an mmo promote that due to zones not being able to handle confertably over 20 people.

As soon as i saw crowfall in the list, which i do not promote at all. But hear me on this, it IS a mmorpg in the true respects, in terms of massive online gameplay.
    The subtle differences in this argument doesnt come down to RPG values, but more so the games stability to hold large amounts of players.

I think the last time i brought up server stability and mmorpg references for this game was 6 months ago. It was in these very forums that a decent amount of people told me that this is a tight nit community of players, it is not a true mmorpg and i should not expect this game to support a massive amount of people when referring to zone stabilty. My concerns over this are as explained.

Back then i wondered how I would suggest in any way or form that the amount of people online does not match up to traditional massive server based games, without insulting the community. Well, maybe i said too much in this post but right now, i am truly at a loss on figuring out left and right.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

What the <expletive deleted> difference does it make what label is affixed? This is just another example of manufactured outrage over minutia.

9. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I respectfully disagree. Genres are a thing and I am very much at a loss on figuring out what SOTA wants to promote. As such, I am a kickstarter backer and have over 2000 hours in the game But i do not ever blindly promote a game. Do understand i Love sota. There is a fine line personally for me, in terms of supporting a product in its true sense. I do not want to up vote a game with a blind sense of promotion, even if it is the main game i play.

I am also a competitive player and i think that brings my values into point that i wont support somethings genre that says it is not.

Cordelayne, K1000 and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  10. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Voted

And I dont care how a game is labeled as long as I have fun.

Sentinel2 and Valor like this.
  11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

For me the difference is, I gave money because of this quote on the Kickstarter website: "Though Shroud of the Avatar won’t be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game."

If SotA would have been announced and presented as a MMORPG I would't have backed it.

Hmmm, interesting... This quote was in my signature but now it is gone and I haven't deleted it nor was I notified that it was changed...

Is it not allowed to quote what Portalarium said during the Kickstarter campaign?

Cordelayne, 3devious, Pickley and 4 others like this.
  12. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Just as a hint if you quote something you should quote the whole text or make visible that you are just using a specific part of the text e.g. by using “…” as else someone might think this is the whole text.
    Even if you have added a link not everyone will click on it and to be honest with the whole text in front of me your assumption seems to be less resonable, as they are explicid saying the whole time that you will interact with other players. Or what is the point of your concerns?
    (complete quote below)

Will this be a MMO? Can I play with my friends?
    Yes, you will be able to play with your friends! Multiplayer games encourage social bonds that go far beyond what can be accomplished in a solo player game. I remember the depth of these bonds in players who met in-game only to get married in real life, how people who died in the real world were deeply mourned and celebrated by their online friends whom they may never have met face to face. Though Shroud of the Avatar won’t be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game. We will be describing this in more detail in our upcoming community blogs.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Bankee likes this.
  13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

There is a huge difference between a MMORPG and a multiplayer game - at least for me.

Just having an exciting adventure with a few friends in multiplayer or seeing hundreds or thousands of players jumping around in front of me makes a difference. I have played so many MMORPGs in my life I am simply fed up with this genre. I want to experience a great, immersive, deep adventure full of twists, choices with real consequences in a great simulated world. I want to get a sense of achievement by killing the big bad dragon overlord (without it respawning again and again) or freeing the mines from the bandits. I want the siege to burn down the city, NPCs should die creating drama and suspense.

This would be possible in a coop-multiplayer game which we play with just a few friends but not in a MMORPG where everyone wants to kill the dragon overlord or players don't want to see their houses burn. So if SotA would have been announced as a MMORPG I wouldn't have backed it as I am not interested in such games anymore. Yet having a great adventure with some friends would be to my liking. Therefore this sentence was important to me. SotA explicitely not being called a MMORPG made the difference for me.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  14. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

voted.

And I dont care how a game is labeled as long as I have fun.

+1000

15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It is and it isn't. It certainly isn't a WoW MMO, because it doesn't lock people away in sharded worlds where you can never ever meet 95% of the other players. Instead, it shards instances, with the ability to have some control over who you get put with. Can it scale to millions? Maybe. If we get millions of people playing, then we can worry about that. I think it can scale that big, it's mostly about managing a large number of instances.

It's also got an offline mode, though some people aren't happy with how the MMO aspects show in the interface.

So when it's not offline, it's online, When it's online, it's multi-player, unless you choose to be alone. So that's two parts of MMO. And it's definitely an RPG, by standards since the '80s. Is it "massively"? Meh. Call it "Moderately Multiplayer Online"? Whatever. Stop trying to label it, and just play it already.

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

[​IMG]

17. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Well just proves my point even further that blind votes are a thing

3devious likes this.
  19. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We're nearly in the lead everyone!!

20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Speaking of polls, what about the results of the Travian surveys? Is there any news on that?

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.