Masterworking

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by icekiss, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icekiss

icekiss Avatar

So we now apperently have Masterworking in R30. I have also read about people doing it.
    But how does one do it?
    Either how to find out in game, or a link to a website / a thread on this forum. Google has been most unhelpful...

I remember having read it has something to do with gold, but I can't remember where I read that. :-(

Sweetmcpwnsauce and Time Lord like this.
  2. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Masterworking applies to Blacksmiths, Carpenters, and Tailors.

There is a recipe for the "Masterwork kit" that you can purchase from the appropriate crafting vendors, and that recipe yields an item that you can apply to a crafted item from those three tradeskills.

3. icekiss

icekiss Avatar

Thank you! Will try that once I am back in Owl's Head. :)

Sweetmcpwnsauce and Time Lord like this.
  4. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

Also visit the crafting trainer to learn the masterwork skill for each of the 3 schools.

5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

It's an ability that Smiths, carpenters & tailors can train up (inate), you buy the skill at the trainer, then buy the recipe... It takes silver ingots for a smith, a hammer and a crafted piece, it works simular to adding gems to weapon/armor, the higher your skill, the better your success rate is, but IMO using silver ingots to practice with to gain skill is insane...

cartodude likes this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You click here and watch this video...

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-mastercrafting-and-enchantment-how-to.52211/

7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

All you do is train the skill then masterwork items with 5 silver ingots. not overly complicate, any crafting traininer trains masterworks for all skills.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So it costs 5 silver ingots and potentially the crafted item for each tiny gain in that skill? It'll take a long time just to get it to 40.

9. Curt

Curt Avatar

Sounds like one of the skills that is best to not train unless you first gets a huge amount of crafting experience pool.

agra likes this.
  10. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

5 silver ingots
    Sounds like this needs to be put on the list for some polish

11. icekiss

icekiss Avatar

Just wanted to tell that I finally got around to experiment with Masterworking. I actually figured the cost out from the carpenting and tailoring masterworks recipes, since I could not find the recipe for blacksmithing.
    Anyway, worked out great (though I did destroy two blades - I did get better at it :)), so thanks for explaining what masterworking is!

12. icekiss

icekiss Avatar

Got a question regarding to that.
    Yeah, training up masterworking using up 5 silver ingots (and the item) per attempt is insanely expensive. So obviously, every attempt should give as much experience for the skill as it can possibly give.

Now I know that the amount of experience gain for a skill is dependent on your producer experience pool (since it is a crafting skill). The more experience you have pooled up, the more the skill will increase on use.
    So to maximize the profit from investing those silver ingots, you should have a big pool of producer experience saved up.
    The question is: Where is the ceiling? What is the most experience the skill can take, and how big a producer exp pool do you need for it?

I just realized that question myself, so I'll try to figure it out ingame in the future. But if anybody has already an idea about it: I'd be reeealy curious! :)

Noric likes this.
  13. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

There is no limit to the Producer Exp pool as far as I know. I know people that have had it in the double digit millions. The last time I calculated it, the percentage it takes out each 'event' is .16%. That might have changed as they tweak the numbers. So for a 1 million producer exp pool, it would distribute 1600 of that to your skill.

icekiss likes this.
  14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Where did oyu get this idea? If skills hold true to adv skills and at last check they do the use of a percentage only applies when you get your skill over 80. I will of course go check but I am pretty sure Produced Exp work the same ways.

Not to anwer your question there is not cap on how much exp you can put into your pool.

icekiss likes this.
  15. icekiss

icekiss Avatar

Well, I read it somewhere on the forum. :D

More reasonably, I noticed in game that I appear to use up more experience from the pool if it is fuller.
    I fought for a while against skelettons. My pool first dropped (so I put more XP towards skills than I gained), and later on it stabilized. Without me having changed anything about my skills leveling, or killing the skeletons faster (and without any skill over 80).
    So I assumed that the forum was correct: The skills where pulling less XP from the pool since it was almost empty, allowing it to stabilize.

If that assumption was incorrect, and a skill always pulls the maximum from the pool, as long as the pool is not completely empty, then my question is answered. :) (Answer: It does not matter, as long as the pool is not empty, and the master crafitng skill is not over 80.)

If this is true, then my assumption was correct, you just misunderstood my question a bit. I did not assume the pool had a ceiling. I assumed that the amount a skill can pull from the pool (those .16%) was capped somewhere...
    If your answer is correct, and there is no limit to how much XP a skill can pull from the pool per event (no matter at which level the skill is), then the answer to how much XP you should have when master crafting, is: As much as freaking possible! :)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    agra likes this.
  16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

if it is like ADV this number is right about on target.

17. icekiss

icekiss Avatar

Alright, I finally got around to another mastercrafting run - 4 copper two handed swords (all identical, all successes).
    I sacrificed skill gain on one attempt to get the amount of XP mastercrafting one such sword gives - 77 XP (there is no other skill taking up crafting XP for that action).
    During the other 3 attempts, my mastercrafting skill raised from 25 to 27.
    The amount of XP the skill took from the pool was: 46 (25->26), 54 (26), 57 (26->27).
    My crafting XP pool was at 348.5k
    Calculating that out, I get the following percentages as taken from the pool: .013%, .015%, .016%

I have the very, very strong suspicion, that I would have seen the same skill increases if my crafting XP pool had been at 10% of the value it was at...
    I think that there is a ceiling of how much XP is taken by the skill from the pool. That ceiling apparently rises with the skill level.
    And further assuming that the numbers @monkeysmack and @Weins201 reported are for high level skill gains, then there is an additional ceiling of .16% of the crafting XP pool if that is less than what the skill wants (i.e., the lower of the two numbers is taken).

What all that theory means, is that it is not necessary for a new blacksmith, or other crafter training an expensive skill, to accumulate as much XP in his or her pool as possible before training said skill.
    Instead it is completely sufficient to watch how the XP pool changes with each attempt and skill level up. As long as each higher level takes more XP from the pool, the pool is filled enough.
    Once that stops being true, calculate the percentage out. Presumably it comes out as .16%
    Then, and only then, is it an advantage to save up more pool XP. :)

hroth likes this.
  18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@icekiss

There are some info from Chris on this, the main stuff being over here:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/use-based-systems.35948/
    Mind you some of that has been changed but the basis is still the same.

Small reminders that it remains true to form:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-grind.41081/page-9#post-462601
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-grind.41081/page-11#post-463017

Then some Dev+ stuff: (Where 99% is covered in the public post above - but some of the back and forth between players is interesting)
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...t-use-based-systems-part-2.35456/#post-407201
    ...and a small bonus if you are Dev+ and a crafter type
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...he-economy-and-spo-pvp-zones-and-stuff.21709/

For lower levels or active skills then yes, but for the highest levels of the passive skills then it is not that simple. But since Crafting is mostly Active skills it should work out OK for your scenario.

hroth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.