Mine Axe... "cuts it"

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Skathi Lyn Oks, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

This right here! A similar argument could be made for daggers, or even Scimitars. Heck, short swords and longswords could have their own skills even and I have seen a game that does separate each and every one of those skills. Meridian 59, to be exact. Ironically, they never had a specific skill for axes even though you could wield them. They had mace fighting, but I don't think that affected anything other than maces.

This really all boils down to how many individual weapon skill sets did the developers want to implement?

All types of weapons have drastically different combat styles, we will just have to settle for a little generalization in our skill sets.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  2. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

well...you want to discuss the exact difference in handling a mace or an axe?

Honestly...imho...I am very happy with being able to chose the weapon to wield and that it simply counts as "blunt". Having to raise another skill just for the few days I want to play the "barbarian" is...well.

And from my personal experience...an axe (combat wise) handles pretty much like a mace with the exeption that there is a front and a back...what usually is forgotten the moment you stand in the line of shields with your brothers, then its a simple give and take of blows. And honestly...I never heard a single complaint from someone after being hit "you didnt use the correct end".

3. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Depends on the fighting style; axes are generally considered crushing weapons, as even a blunted edge would still cause some serious damage if it connected to a limb.

4. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

By who? By you? Sorry, that's not enough, when Portalarium clearly avoids this pitfall. Luckily.
    ___

I agree that calling an axe a bludgen weapon is weird, since there's a bladed weapon tree.

But as everyone else already said, it's how the weapons behave.

Probably two better names for the skill trees would be "Balanced weapons" (for blades), and "Head heavy weapons" (for the bludgeons). Which is what they are: a dagger, a shortsword and a longsword are all balanced along most of their cutting edges; maces and hammers and axes leverage momentum on the head to apply damage, while most of their (long) handles do nothing but assist the wielder in constructing a better lever.

5. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Why compare axes to swords to make an argument? That makes no sense and is obviously flawed logic. Reasonable people should agree that axes handle differently from swords (duh), but the point is axes are not blunt either - they have an edge - this makes them very different from clubs and maces as well... Am I missing something here? Can we get some feedback from a professional axe-fighter please?

FrostII and agra like this.
  6. Julian Baskerville

There is no difference in "handling"...you need to swing both with more or less skill. Yet there is a BIG difference on the receiving end imho.

FrostII likes this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Virtually every modern and historical reference (which I listed in my post on this "subject") leaves Axes OUT of the definition of Bludgeon.
    They are not now nor have they ever been considered Bludgeon weapons.

8. Vox Aquila

Vox Aquila Avatar

Just reading Bowen's threads on Astronomy has me nodding in agreement whenever he posts an opinion. He spent more time on these matters than me and I defer to his logic.

All hail Bowen!

And I mean that sincerely.

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You're missing the fact that what we're talking about is the skills used to wield those weapons.. and NOT the damage types..

Fox Cunning and Miracle Dragon like this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Having spent some time wielding both real axes and real swords I respectfully disagree.

In either case, this is not an oversight by the devs. The devs were convinced to move axes from blades to bludgeons and the ensuring 15 page discussion has been linked. If you guys want it changed back to blades you're going to need to do better than "other games did it" and "but it has an edge".

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The real problem here is that the bludgeon skill tree is called "bludgeon" rather than say "1H Shafted" or "impact" in which case I doubt anyone here would have an issue.

I note that no one seems to have any problem with the pole-arm tree which covers weapons of multiple damage types in halberds and spears. As the name doesn't imply a type of damage.

12. Julian Baskerville

You guys?

Please dont take every thread or oppinion as a statment on or about the game that needs to get stomped on. I for my part was simply discussing axe/mace handling from my oppinion.

FrostII likes this.
  13. Albus

Albus Avatar

A change in name to "Impact" as suggested by Bowen or "Hacking & Crushing" would smooth the issue over; although that silly attack where the weapon is pounded into the ground to crowd control people should be changed as well, IMO, neither axe nor mace would be used in such a fashion on purpose nor with any positive result ;)

14. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I remember when this change occurred years ago, to move axes from blades to bludgeons. It's one move I'm quite happy to have supported. This definitely is not 'an oversight' - it was a deliberate change to better reflect the use of the weapon, based on the way the game decides on your skills and damage output.

It is a good thing to take note of however. All the skill trees (and glyphs representing them) need to be updated as they have all changed dramatically over the development cycle. Perhaps 'bludgeon' is not the best word to use anymore for this category of weapons. ;-D

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Oh please don't even get me started on Ground Pound. lol

Albus likes this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Are we not allowed to disagree these days? Please don't take every thread or opinion that disagrees with yours as an attempt to "stomp" on you.

17. Julian Baskerville

thats my argument, I was first ;)

and I didnt feel stomped on, only felt like " this has been discussed before, move on" what usualy is a one sided discussion ender.

mikeaw1101, Albus and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Fair enough. :)

Ludwig Drakenfels likes this.
  19. Albus

Albus Avatar

Ah yes Ground Pound, that is the one :)) Seriously though, it would be good to put that one to rest and replace it with something else... If it is so beloved (by someone?), devs could keep it as a combo glyph created when you combine some earth glyph with a "bludgeon" (hopefully that is renamed :p) glyph to create the unnatural effect? Ground Pound, ughhh... But at least as a magical effect I could sort of buy it, if not as a natural martial form :p

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  20. Julian Baskerville

Never used it...just read it...and the only thing that came to my mind was:

"Hulk Smash"

+what maybe says a lot over my taste in movies. Sorry, to much Infos ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.