Mining ( and other crafts ) and health change

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by melchiormeijer, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melchiormeijer

melchiormeijer Avatar

Is it an idea to alter a persons stats or health according to the craft that is repeated over and over ?

for instance , mining might make you stronger , but if you mine for coal it's not exactly healthy for your lungs..

Ideas?

derek6665 likes this.
  2. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Great idea, @melchiormeijer

Mining Hazards: [5 Most Dangerous] http://www.miningiq.com/mine-health...ost-dangerous-hazards-that-miners-face-daily/
    1. Cave-ins
    2. Gas Explosions
    3. Chemical Leakage
    4. Electrocution
    5. Fires
    Dangers of Forestry: http://www.fao.org/docrep/u8520e/u8520e03.htm
    1. Natural Risks
      • Steep or broken terrain
      • Dense crops
      • Extreme climate - hot/cold
    2. Material Risks
      • Falling trees or branches
      • Transport accidents
      • Tool injury accident
    Dangers in Agriculture:
    http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Farm_safety_risks_and_hazards
    1. Injury and illness
      • Animals, chemicals, vehicles, machinery, electricity and other power supplies, dams, lakes, high places and the weather
    Field Dressing Hazards:
    1. Contaminating meat while handling or by animal's intestinal tract bacteria
    2. tool or weapon injury
    3. climate or terrain
    [will leave off here, and let others contribute]

jondavis and melchiormeijer like this.
  3. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

@Fireangel

*as a crafter, Knoxinn looks at Fireangel's list*
    *grows more concerned as he reads it*
    *Knoxinn's eyes grow large as he realizes what Fireangel's list is*

Um...this is a big giant list in how the game can kill crafters! :eek:

*Knoxinn's decides that he is NOT asking Fireangel for a dance at the Crafter's Ball* :p

I drift back to the good old days of UO (the first four years). As a Smith/Miner...just leaving town was fraught with danger. If it wasn't a player, it was a bear. If it wasn't a bear, it was a Troll. If not a Troll...well, you get the point. "OOOoooOOOooo" was just apart of crafting. But now the idea is to throw cave-in's, gas explosions, and chemical leaks at me? As the kids say "Why you be hatin'?"

I don't know...that is a great deal of risk. If so, then the reward, above and beyond simple ore, must match that risk. In another thread of yours, found here, you detail how gold, diamonds, and gems are created and how they can be placed within the game in respect to mining. If the risk in mining, or any other gathering/crafting activities, is ramped up to this degree then the odds of finding something truly worthwhile must also be ramped up.

Even then...I'm not sure. I realize what you guys are saying...I'm just uncertain if it would be "fun" game-wise. Does it add to one's enjoyment of the game? Traveling far from town, taking dangerous ways to reach out of the way locations all the while ducking and dodging monsters and whatnot only to finally reach the cave and instantly die in a gas explosion. Does the slider leans towards "fun" or more towards "rage quit?"

uopete and licemeat like this.
  4. melchiormeijer

melchiormeijer Avatar

seeing the first four years as UO being refeered to as the good old days makes me feel old lmao :)

Knoxinn likes this.
  5. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

I know, right? I'm torn between taking out a mace to fight a dragon and yelling at kids to get off my lawn. :D

6. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

@Knoxinn *laughs heartily* Hey, it's melchior's thread! I was just contributing. hehe

Knoxinn likes this.
  7. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Many games have a feature where you can "get drunk" and walk funny with blurry vision. I'm perfectly OK with any kinds of short term effects like this for RP or whatever. I don't want stats though. Little stats in different places makes a big mess of the game.

8. Kal Morte

Kal Morte Avatar

I honestly hope there is stat gain for harvesting. No matter which way you implement harvesting, it's still a grind, so it only makes sense to have multiple benefits. If members of my guild who have no interest in crafting bring a ton of ore to my craftsmen, I certainly expect their digital muscles to be a little bigger for the effort.

9. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

I can see this...short term effects. But, it might get tiresome. First few times you see the *you are groggy, your vision is blurred* due to a gas leak, it would be fun. The 1,483rd time that it happens...maybe not so much. I guess it would depend upon how its handled.

10. vjek

vjek Avatar

EQ2 had the potential for health damage (HP loss) via crafting, for years, and eventually nerfed it until it was basically pointless due to negative feedback. In the simplest case, players were dying due to ISP disconnect or microwave-oven-induced lag, routing changes, storms, or any other Internet-reality, simply because while in the middle of a combine, the game punished "inattention" by killing the crafter.

If it were me, I would be cautious about introducing too many punitive mechanics. Permanent stat gains via non-combat is.. tricky.

11. Maximus

Maximus Avatar

It only makes sense to me that you get stronger from blacksmithing or get greater endurance or even toughness. This is just one example but I agree with the idea posted by the OP.

12. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I kind of like the idea of Gas Masks, and caged birds to tell me if there was bad air, but gas exposions, and cave ins, I don't want perma death.

I like the idea of having to dig the cave out, but then I would need to file a claim to get the rights to mine, hire guards to protect my interests and then when the vein runs out, well I need to move to a new claim.

Of course it would build str, but lung desease..

I like the idea of having danger, but not like in UO. Hitting a gas pocket with poison gas is fine, but deadly poison, no. Explosions, maybe, but not killing me in one shot. Diamonds, rubies, saphires, emeralds, yes.

Contaminated beef, cutting your finger off, falling trees killing me, no.

I'm all for realism, but lets have a vein of ore all the same ore, a tree all the same wood, sure there should be some prospecting involved and refining to seperate the metal from the stone or forestry to find the type of tree you're looking for, but then again there should be a grove of trees. Cut them all down and it takes a while for them to grow back or spawn in other areas because the birds carry the seeds there to spawn another grove over time.

13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

This a good idea and is also realistic...wouldn't mining/foresting make you stronger? Wouldn't cooking/alchemy make you smarter? Granted it could detour mages from mining and warriors from cooking but still it's realistic...

majoria70 likes this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol Yes I've always thought that alfter all the hours of slaving away my character should be stronger. It wouldn't surprise me that this type of thing will be implemented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.