MMORPG SotA Column: Concerns Worthy of Note

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Forcing someone to type a key word does not mean they read the dialog anymore than someone that clicks on a key word.

Caska DiFumarate and Joviex like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Future versions of the combat system may end up like that (I would hope) but the current version is very twitch in comparison to what you're describing.

People can run through you, there are at least two hit boxes and probably more to come as they add in things like "cover".

It's not fun for me to twitch about and have to frantically select skills in a mad race to out damage my opponent. I know one of the goals that RG mentioned was for people to at least be encouraged to fight in pvp battles and I can say that if combat remains similar to this...people that don't like PVP are not going to be encouraged to fight in PVP no matter what carrots you put in front of them....and I like PVP so this should really be saying something.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Unless the role-playing part is what makes the game enjoyable.

Sandbox environments are an element of role-playing.

Margard likes this.
  4. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

You have to have a game in order to roleplay.

Joviex, Tarsilion and adaamhimself like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Yes, I know. I told you that I agreed with your points on that.

What you're not picking up is that you can be right about that but wrong about the solution. Your solution was to basically have buttons on the screen that allowed you to have a FAST PASS through all common processes. And what I'm saying is that the devs should not do that because it doesn't help RP. People that RP are going to read that stuff at least somewhat, and so the added functionality that you're requesting only helps a playing style that doesn't need to be supported in a roleplaying game because the whole point of the game is to.....

roleplay.

And your solution actually detracts from the point of the game.

Margard likes this.
  6. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Which brings us back to limitations of the medium: The pen and paper games introduced this due to limitations of the medium. With a different medium, the logical step is to get rid of that, not to emulate the emulation.

Caska DiFumarate, Joviex and Caliya like this.
  7. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

You also need to be able to attract a decent player base in order to fund the actual development.

Joviex, Tarsilion and Caliya like this.
  8. Margard

Margard Avatar

Well - we agree on all counts there - I was describing what I think we will end up with - or at least what the concept seems to emulate ... but who knows -

- I'm going to play a game, catch you all another time / great discussion ... I'll leave by saying this

Baldur's Gate ruined the meaning of RPG :p

9. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Can you point me to any post in this entire thread where I said I wanted a fast pass, to bypass an NPC conversation?

Caska DiFumarate and Joviex like this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

Amen to that.

Caska DiFumarate and Margard like this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

But one made with roleplaying in mind :>

Margard likes this.
  12. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Well apparently some seem to believe that if they invest in the game heavily enough, to influence the development towards old school that they're nostalgic about, the game they want will surface. And all others who want more logical and modern game technology can go to other games that have actual radical, out of the norm technology.

;)

Joviex, Akro and Tarsilion like this.
  13. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

I must have missed this: Could you point me to where anyone wanted a fast pass?
    Personally I think any game with unnecessary tedious elements is bad design. All it shows is that the designer lacked the imagination to make it hard without making it tedious.
    If making it tedious is your solution to people keeping on playing, it probably won't work.

Joviex and Caliya like this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

I'm paraphrasing. It's not important exactly what you said line for line. The point remains the same. You are looking at the problem from a point of view that doesn't care or consider roleplaying. That's what this game is and that's why the development team should look for another solution.

It's not a personal attack against you. I think you accurately described many of the problems with the current NPC chat system. But your solution (as I understand it) is not helping roleplaying and is in fact something that would detract from it.

Now what I would expect you to say is "who cares, I'm not a roleplayer!" Which makes perfect sense. But this is a roleplaying game, so the devs should care. That's my point.

15. Margard

Margard Avatar

DAMMIT - I was trying to go play Path of Exile ... yes and no :) ...

WOW's systems is the exact same thing that we currently have - and thats what many people want (yeah you can argue about "being in control" but its the same dam thing)

The alternative would be something like / this is going go to make @caliya happy /

the alternative would be something like TESO (but tech limitations / dev time / may have made that unrealistic - this is just an assumption)

16. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

Portalarium should rightly abolish the dev+ section of the forums. Imagine, recreating inequality in a video game and on its forums. Ludicrous.

Tarsilion and Caliya like this.
  17. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

No, role playing is an element in some but not all sandbox environments. It is an option for a player in a sandbox.

18. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

You can't paraphrase something that was never my implied nor explicit intent.

Yes, yes it is. If you twist my words and my intent, you are misrepresenting me and intentionally creating a straw man. That is not fair to me and tries to paint me into some sort of villain, and I don't care for that one bit.

Since when does typing a key word = roleplaying, and the only way to roleplay?

Your definition is your own, and has nothing to do with if I like to roleplay or not.

Joviex and Tarsilion like this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

We disagree, I'm comfortable with that.

20. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Of course what is said line by line is important. It is what makes a conversation as opposed to the monologue you are having. The point you claim was never made by people interested in a conversation. You seem to be content with your monologue though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.