Monthly Subscription Instead of Coto

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Headquake, Aug 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Fair enough, I'm aware of that model, more of the way a lot of console games work. And most of them still sell DLC\RMT or regular expansions. The database/login servers are still a cost item, they cant exactly abandon the game and leave them up, but usually the community will fill that gap by that point in a games life (or someone buys the assets at the ensuing firesafe).

I didnt think SOTA was using it, but maybe it is.

I will say I'm not clear on portalariums post release content plans other than to release at least 2(?) more "episodes". They will have to keep most if not all their staff just to do that.

2. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

25 $ : ... acces to a npc row deed
    50$ : ... npc village deed
    100$ : .... npc town deed
    200$ : ... npc City deed

I fixed it for you.

ibad2 and Lord Dreamo like this.
  3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It affects the rate everyone buys more raffle tickets :p. So the chances will remain similar to before

4. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

why don't you do a poll for monthly subs as an option. yes/no/maybe

ibad2 and Ice Queen like this.
  5. smack

smack Avatar

The tax rate on a city lot is 7 COTO / week.

You can currently buy 25 COTO for $23 on the Add On Store. You're suggesting that price be $10. I doubt they're going to reduce it that much if they were to ever implement a COTO subscription model. But you never know. The game is still undergoing balancing and everything can still change. Tax rates could go down or even up.

6. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

I don't care about the exact dollar amount, it was just an example. The primary reasons for wanting a subscription in stead of COTOs for rent is that COTOs value varies, taxes (currently) do not, and I wanted to skip the hassle of selling them or worrying if they will sell. I'd rather just get on with what I want to do when I log in to play.

ibad2 likes this.
  7. Modu

Modu Avatar

That's pretty much what The Secret World is like now. Similar model of running a game, small development team, sold a bunch of "life time" subscriptions early on. Now all we get with any consistency in that game is addon store content. They have no choice, have to keep paying salaries and with no monthly subscription income to depend on they have to keep putting in things people will buy. As such, development on that game suffers badly.

ibad2 and Travitar like this.
  8. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Nope.

Ice Queen likes this.
  9. mithra

mithra Avatar

Well they are simply hoping for the best and planning for the worst.

But I will say this model is exactly why Berek found it necessary to warn exploiters against ( I quote ) :
    • Gold/item generation via automated systems (BOTing, increasing spawn rates, etc.)
    • Generate accelerated experience (Ex.: Instant max skills, etc.)
    • Working around gameplay (Flying through barriers, reducing damage, etc.)
    • Edit client memory (change character stats, increase skills)
    The fact that these things are even possible in SOTA should not have been revealed to the public. Why would you tell players that there is no server-side validation of critical systems and then STICKY that? :D It doesn't surprise me though - if you play the single player offline game, it's clear that 95% of the online game functionality is present and working as stand-alone. I'm not saying there is no technical overhead of course, or cost, but it isn't going to be nearly as expensive as say, WoW or another traditional design. Hell, I bet they are using a cheap cloud service for our character data.

ibad2 and Ice Queen like this.
  10. Durriken

Durriken Avatar

So many would quit game if it was a sub game. I know I would considering it was part of the advertisement.

Ice Queen and NRaas like this.
  11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i think you're missing something. he's not suggesting you buy add-on cotos, sell them in game for gold, and pay your rent with that gold. you can pay rent with cotos DIRECTLY.

12. Arthur Ironfist

Arthur Ironfist Avatar

How about a Diamond Crown of the obsidian which would cost $15 and cover all lot taxes for 30 days on a single account.

13. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

Sure that'd work. Though how many diamonds are we talking about in the crown? :)

14. Tanglewood

Tanglewood Avatar

Hi all, I have a newbie question - how do you pay the taxes? Do you click on your house sign and you can click on a menu option to pay? Or do you pay at the bank? My friend as a taxable deed and we can't figure out how to pay the taxes

15. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

My whole reasoning for playing is ONE...love the game and TWO no subscription. Paying monthly fees was the main reason i left UO and WOW. Couldnt afford monthly fees even as low as they were. That money needed to be spent on RL stuff not gaming. So i like the idea of a ONE TIME buy in and the occasional purchase here and there. I am just curious how they will do it when it gets released later on. How will they set up what folks can do. I would hope they would not put the same packages out there like before. I mean i bust my butt for what i have now...only for some new player to walk in with more than me doesnt seem right. Sorry enough sour grapes.

Ice Queen, Spoon and firesparx like this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Open the U key interface. Select deed. Press button that says something like Add Money or something like that.

Tanglewood and Ice Queen like this.
  17. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Elder Scrolls Online couldn't establish a fee, SWTOR couldn't establish a fee, why do you think SotA can?

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I fail to see the substantive difference between purchasing COTO with which to pay lot rent and a monthly subscription other than the former requires action on the part of the Avatar and the latter is automated.

Sir Cabirus and Alley Oop like this.
  19. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

Ummm let me think.

NO.

Ice Queen likes this.
  20. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Erm COTO already give you that ability, just buy them off the store and pay your rent with them, you then have a sub model tiered (but maybe not priced) exactly as you say.

Elnoth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.