Monthly Subscription Instead of Coto

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Headquake, Aug 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Headquake

Headquake Avatar

I'm the only that would have less issue with a monthly subscription for the multiplayer online ( single player online can stay only buy to play ) then with those coto that just make portalarium heavy nerfed all in game gold in come so they can sell more coto for people who want to pay their house tax ?

Little idea :
    free : acces to pot deed only that you need to buy with in game gold ( or lottery )
    5 $ : ... acces to a npc row deed
    10$ : ... npc village deed
    15$ : .... npc town deed
    20$ : ... npc City deed

Free Life time subscription for those who already own a tax free deed that allow them to use the deed of the lvl they have pledged for

And remove COTO and Deed Tax From the Game

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  2. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Well, the subscription idea has always had merit, but the Devs have been clear that is not the model they want to use. The lot deeds for only 5+ a month will not happen because deeds have actual dollar value, and to allow people to have a deed right away for only $5+ would be a HUGE departure from their model for the last 3+ years. The best you could do is put a deed on a monthly payment plan.

enderandrew likes this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

4. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I dont understand the resistance in most modern game communities to subscriptions, I've seen the same thing with star citizen.

Online games dont run on hopes and dreams, the company needs a revenue source and expansions can be hit and miss.
    Then you get rage when they implement RMT like COTO..

pick your poison. In this case it would probably be free rent credits or COTO for a subscription, but you would have to own the deed separately.

Kaisa, Hazard and Parson Barr like this.
  5. Headquake

Headquake Avatar

I'm trying to figure out how they gonna deal with the fact the many people right now don't enjoy the Hard in game gold nerfed. If they increase loot table lot of players would be happy but they gonna sell less COTO and make less money. If they keep gold income really low they can sell more COTO and make more money but less people will enjoy playing the game. I don't mind to don't have a deed in game ( i don't own one) but its sad that they nerfed all the pve loot table for making the tax deed and owning a deed a challenge.That make the game less fun for those who just don't care about housing and want to actually just play the game doing pve and pvp and crafting.

Would have less issue to pay a monthly subscription ( and even if it don't come with a deed ) and getting a nice gold income and decent loot table doing pve.

Edit : i totally agree with the fact that they need to get money income , but imo COTO is not the good way since its a dangerous path in the direction of Buy2PlayaPay2Win. There are adding in game the kind of stuff that you usually add in a free to play pay 2 win game. But going pay 2 win in a game you need to buy is really different and they ain't gonna get a lot of fan doing it. Last game i have seen doing this was Warz in wich you add to pay the game but use their own money ( coto style ) to respawn more quickly , to play at night ( yeah half the time in game it was night and you add to pay for buying night vision google if you want to enjoy the game at night ). I would be really more confortable with a buy 2 play with vip subscription as an option for multiplayer.

Rofo likes this.
  6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Like subscription as an OPTION but I wouldn't remove COTOs just yet. More choices = better game.

Arc, Mac R, Sean Silverfoot and 5 others like this.
  7. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

At this stage of the Game, I am really enjoying not having to feel like I need to do this and that because my Game Time is a wasting.

4EverLost likes this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

An optional subscription is likely coming, but not what you think. It will likely just be a monthly COTO subscription for a discount. What you do with the COTO is up to you, and they will definitely expand on what you can buy with it. Potions and artwork and taxes is just the start.

COTOs are not going away. It's the basis of their business model.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  9. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

As a player with multiple tax free deeds, I'd gladly pay a subscription fee to both fund the game (main reason I'd do it), and to remove the tax on any taxed deeds I acquire so I can spend more time fiddling with my properties decorations and roleplaying, and less time grinding monsters.

10. Net

Net Avatar

I can understand it. The players backing thos gemes most likely do not like subscriptions and they certainly do not like being lied to, so they are against the changes. Star Citizen kind of advertised no subscriptions, so I am not surprised people do not want them.

Sean Silverfoot and 4EverLost like this.
  11. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Again, if the devs were clear day1 that they weren't going to have a subscription, and THEY are maintaining the servers that everything runs on, you should know from that point that some time in the future, there will be a cash->ingame store, its either that or charge for every piece of playable DLC.

Again games don't run on the internet for free. You may not pay for them to run, but someone needs to.

Travitar likes this.
  12. Net

Net Avatar

So? I am pretty sure that both SotA and Star Citizen were open about having optional chash shop as the way to finance them. I am just saying that people are against subscriptions, because they were told there will be no subscriptions and they dislike others trying to change the game into something opposite of what was being advertised.

lollie, Sean Silverfoot and Weins201 like this.
  13. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

If it's optional, I don't see the problem.

Lord Baldrith, Chatele and Net like this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I dont think the lowered gold rate is affecting that much outside lot taxes

15. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

It's affecting the rate that I'm buying more raffle tickets! =) *shakesfist*

16. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

They were, but you have people (and I can name several here) who then post constant salt about how everything is designed around forcing you to use the RMT currency and how its the worst thing ever.

Sure you can file the whole thing under "cant make everyone happy" personally I pick subscriptions, but I won't go any further than saying "in my opinion" especially with something like COTO where I will have used my 4th by the end of the day ...having spent exactly $0 for them, all bought off players.

17. Headquake

Headquake Avatar

The main issue with coto for me is that to keep them valuable they need to make pve not rewarding at all. I would rater deal with a subscription fee and nice pve content , than a boring not rewarding pve ( and its clear that this game never gonna have pvp as main fun part). What we got left if pve is frustrating ? House decoration and roleplay ??? those are 2 nice thing , but there is no way its enough to make a game fun.

Chatele likes this.
  18. Curt

Curt Avatar

Instead of selling 5/10/25/50/100 crowns in the store
    Could have a subscription that gave N crowns/month (possible several tiers of subscription)

19. mithra

mithra Avatar

Well this one might. Or come close.

If you read the bio of the lead developer, he has been "studying the design choices of Skyrim, Guild Wars II and Diablo 3" That means in MMO terms that SOTA is a trusted client with a skeletal back-end. I wouldn't be surprised if the multiplayer synchronization was all peer-to-peer and the only thing their persistence service handles is to database the characters, housing and vendors.

In other words, this game is designed in such a way that if it isn't profitable, they can walk away from it and still afford to run it partly as abandonware without owing any of the $12000 backers recourse. That's a cynical view, but I hear AAA games cost about $60 million to make nowadays, and they've collected $10 million. It makes financial SENSE for SOTA to be written as a stand-alone single player experience with a touch of multiplayer hanging off a SQL server somewhere.

Btw, have they even mentioned what they think the revenue model will be once the game is in "release"? I wouldn't be surprised if free-to-play, otherwise there is no exposure to the add-on store.

20. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

All I want is an optional subscription that could be used to remove the 20 hours of grinding required to pay for a city lot. $10/month would save me 80 hours of mind numbing grinding.

agra, tekkamansoul and Chatele like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.