More MMO, less single & multi player

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Twiztid, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twiztid

Twiztid Avatar

Yea, you will definitely be able to play the story while in MMO mode, the game itself is very story driven.. Hopefully that will also motivate a lot of the carebears to play online instead of isolating themselves in single player

2. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

i loved running into a town and seeing it bustling with lots of people doing lots of different things and it didnt bother me if i didnt know them it still made me feel like i was part of a community with the new system where we are grouped up with just friends or people in close proximity to me doesnt really make me feel like im playing a MMO

3. Owain

Owain Avatar

@Matheryn, depends on how many people you can see in OPO. If it's only a dozen or so you may have a point. They've said dozens but not hundreds, so if you can potentially see 75 or so, that is more than I've seen many times in a 'real' MMO.

What I don't want is the lag fest that goes with going to a place like the Ironforge bank in WoW. Sometimes, too much togetherness is a bad thing.

4. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

I personally like it, how it is and that you can play it aswell as full single player game. One of the reason i joined aswell. Donno how much time i will be in the online world, or if i play more offline.
    The system was, how i see it most likely copied from Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous, where you can play offline or online, how you want. Was very exited about it, so i jumped on the games aswell. Ok, i haven't gone so high in the pleadge now, because there is still one blot. The missing mod tools as example. But if we reach the 2.25 million and he would get them aswell, i would consider to update the pleadge aswell. At least to get all episodes.

And no, a changing now to online only woudn't be possible, because people pledged, for what was offered. If they do so, many people including me would want to withdraw their pledge then.

5. Jouten

Jouten Avatar

Silver made the point I was going to make. I donated into this game specifically for what they promised and I'd be incredibly upset if they threw that aspect out of the window. Granted, with all the videos and chats RG has made, I doubt he'd change that model. It's their selling pitch, one I gladly bought.

6. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

He won't do it. Be sure of this. Otherwise he would risk the whole project.

7. badunius

badunius Avatar

Strongly disagree. Not everyone have an unlimited 100Mbit connection.

8. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

+1 Strongly Agree! I want to be social with others!

I dont want to be talking to NPC's all day I want to play with real live complex creatures behind the avatars... create memories and friendship....

Everything is more fun with a group of people MMO's are what sell now days and it is for a reason... they are fun to play and even more fun to play with others whether that is friends or strangers.

9. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

"MMOs are what sells"?

Have you actually been anywhere near a game shop recently? the majority of games are single player exclusively and MAYBE have some form of multiplayer but the focus is single player

And did you actually watch ANY of the interviews with RG?
    You will have people to talk to you just wont have 10,0000 nobodies you don't care about standing outside your house buying from your vendor, you will see the people who MATTER TO YOU

10. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

Everyone matters to me. So I will see everyone?

+1 for that brother.

11. badunius

badunius Avatar

@Monkus, nothing is fun at 64kbps with 5-30 sec. lag. If you have any doubts, I invite you to visit our cozy little island.

12. Netty

Netty Avatar

This is exactly what i want, when i was reading up on this game I got very excited at the thought of a UO2 but then i saw it wasn't a MMO...

UO was by far the greatest game to live in my eyes (and i know this is the case with a huge amount of people) and i have forever been waiting for the "New UO". All other games just dont compare, some could say UO has ruined gaming for me :) I do know (from seeing vast amounts of posts on vast amounts of forums) that there is a huge community of players that played UO and are constantly searching for that new UO. So if this game was to add a more MMO style i have no doubt it would get a huge following or even donations to help make it happen.

Lord British, if you make this happen and i will devout my loyalty to you and forever be your humble guard :)

13. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

<q cite="Monkus">I dont want to be talking to NPC?s all day I want to play with real live complex creatures behind the avatars? create memories and friendship?.</blockquote>
    Yes and you can do exactly this. Because the game is singleplayer and MMO. You can play how you want and i think there will be many players, who will be active in the mmo game aswell. I will most likely look into it from time to time aswell. And i would look forward to create friendship aswell. We all know, friendship is magic. ;)
    But there are aswell people who don't like to play a MMO or want aswell to play the game sometimes alone or test a bit. The game makes this possible aswell.</q>

<blockquote>Everything is more fun with a group of people MMO?s are what sell now days and it is for a reason? they are fun to play and even more fun to play with others whether that is friends or strangers.</blockquote>
    For some years, there was a small not well known company named Bethesda Softworks. They have created RPGs and other games and gone okay with it, until they decided a risky step. They created a RPG sandbox game with an editor tool, where you can create what you want. The game itself had some bugs and wasn't so great in content and visual, at least by the characters. But people where able to create their own content and the game had grown extremly, so more and more people wanted to buy it and i got it aswell. (Even don't know anymore why and how :-? ) Short story, the game sold very well and Bethesda started to get better known.
    They made money and expanded with it and where able to buy the Fallout licence aswell to make similar sci-fi rpgs, who sold aswell nice and the following RPGs sold, they even where able to publish games for other companies and so the company even expended to become ZeniMax Media company. And their last RPG Skyrim sold aswell very nicely and its one of the RPGs i played most, because i am able to create and make what i want. And i can do things there, i couldn't or don't want to do in MMO games. And looking on the sells of this Bethesda RPGs, i think i am only one of many there.
    And yes, the other developer notice it aswell. More and more games are released with mod tools Neverwinter Nights, Starcraft 2 and aswell Star Cititzen will get some and Elite: Dangerous should get some aswell. And Shroud of the Avatar is shortly before getting some aswell. Only few dollars to it. And that are just some examples. So we see, it sells. And i only think it could be good for Shroud of the Avatar. And when the players who don't want to play MMO they woudn't be there at all if the game woud have only an MMO mode. I woudn't be there aswell what i think. Because online only isn't my thing. I have Guildwars 2 but i bought it more, because i was playing GW 1 and now i rarely play it. And the player who are only playing the single player part, will buy the game anyway. So more money for Portalarium to develop SOTA.
    And another thing. If we have a single player mode, where we can make and test what we want, it will rivet the player more on the game. I personally would play more around with the game when i have mod tools and can do what i want in single player game. And then its aswell more likely to watch more often in the online part aswell.

14. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

I don't understand this thread, it seems like it should be from the far past before we knew anything about the game, but.. RG has talked about this at length. The devs have all talked at great length about how various MMO features are going to work. We know there is going to be a story that will be playable as single-player, but the full, open play online is what the devs are hoping will work for the vast majority of people. RG has even explicitly said you can see this as a story-driven MMO that has some single-player features, or as a single-player game that you happen to be able to play online.

@Netty

<blockquote>So if this game was to add a more MMO style i have no doubt it would get a huge following or even donations to help make it happen.</blockquote>

There have already been quite a few large donations, and I really don't know how this isn't as "MMO style" as you can get.

15. Netty

Netty Avatar

@Alayth

A quick simple answer as im in a rush: Not an MMO style due to the limit to how many players you see at any given time. It could work out well but im sure i heard somwhere there would be maybe 40max players at a time? means no large scale pvp events :(

16. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

They don't know yet how many people will be able to be seen at one time, they have said that still needs to be tested.

I don't see why they would be restricted anymore than any other game.. heck, anymore than 40 people in a small area causes lag. what kind of pvp events have you been in with more? I'm remembering playing Warhammer Online where we had maybe 100 people in one area fighting for a control point and it basically broke the game.

Marvin likes this.
  17. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

@Netty - no definite numbers have been given, just "dozens, not hundreds". I think it's going to depend heavily on what they find can be done, performance-wise, after they've optimized everything. And I don't know that this is something that is defined statically for all hexes - I think it is possible (and maybe likely) that certain hexes will have a larger player cap than others. Considering they want to have large-scale castle sieges and such, I would be surprised if they designed it so there were no large scale PvP events (hopefully with 100+ players, but I'm just making that number up). For the vast majority of interactions, I don't think this is going to really change the MMO experience.

Regardless, the alternative is 1) riddled with it's own problems, since you have to have separate servers, increased lag whenever you enter an area with too many people, increased expenses to run the servers, etc etc., and more importantly 2) closed off now, since that design decision was made a very long time ago.

18. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Actually, with the way sharding works, I would think they could have more than a normal PVP system can handle, with the battlefield sections being split up for something like a castle siege. but that would need some testing.

heck.. i remember doing some 30-man raids and we had to kick people out that were lagging and causing us all to lag too.. most battlegrounds ive played in are capped at 30 total players. I see in wow some are set for 40 per faction (80 total) (eye of the storm and isle of conquest?) If I remember those right they are large zones with players spread out all over the place..

Marvin likes this.
  19. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Being able to handle 10v10 combat is totally different from 100 people chatting in town in every way. A little lag isn't life or death, people aren't spamming AoEs and watching buffs/debuffs/healthbars/cooldowns.

The issue is that it becomes an n^2 problem very quickly. Where all clients need information from all other clients in very real time. Linear scaling where you have enough fudge factor that you're not limited be the slowest connection is easy.

20. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

@ Sir Mishri

Play GW2 my computer doesn't lag at all dealing with 40-60 on screen.

Back in the days with Lineage 2 in castle sieges I would have about 100 on screen with only about .5 seconds of lag or delay it just depends on how they program it other Kickstarter games have coded their own engines like "Camelot Unchained" they handle 100 players on screen using full abilities with particles effects without producing any lag.... It is what your priorities are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.