1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Mounted QOL

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by kaeshiva, May 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I know some of these things have been mentioned elsewhere, but they are related so consolidating -

Prior to now, the mounts were interesting but not notably faster-enough-than other movement speed alternatives for the purposes of getting anywhere except in a few really specific exceptions where zones are big enough (and flat enough) to make it worthwhile.

However, now there are cats! And it is quite satisfying for me to watch my character galloping away on ...catback? And I want to use the mount more. The reasons why that is annoying are:

- Mount/Dismount "animation time" and lockup time could be sped up.
    Its not horrible, but it could do with being a wee bit faster. In a lot of games you can actually click the mount while in motion and mount up while on the go, so you don't have to stop, click it, wait for character to do the thing, and get on etc. When I go into water, I "instantly dismount" - would be nice of instant dismount was the norm too, by clicking upon arrival at destination. Seems if I ride into battle ,I'm taking enemy fire while carefully working my way out of the saddle instead of leaping into the fray, as it were. If I get HIT, it will insta dismount me. So why can't I choose to insta dismount?

- Mount/Dismount intractability improvements
    I understand why we can't do emotes and things, but...talking to NPCs? Why in the world can I not talk to NPCs while sitting on my cat? Please make it so that I can interact with doors, lights, npcs, vendors, etc. while sitting on my cat. Especially since getting on and off the thing is a bit of a chore still.

[​IMG]

- Why kitteh no jump?
    I'm sure there is a reason this wasn't added in from the get go but...the main detriment to using the mount is that nowhere is flat and it is incredibly easy to get stuck. Leading to the frustration of the slow mount/dismount timer again. It took me all of 3 minutes for Anzha to drive the cat into the devotional:

[​IMG]

And then the cat just stood there, half soaking wet growling. You telling me its not going to jump out?
    Be nice if they could swim too...or at least paddle along. Since they can't jump over water, having to watch the slow animation every time you run into a puddle...etc. Oddly enough, cat is happy enough to stand in the devotional.

- Allow light spell/nightvision use while on mount
    I understand not allowing dash and such but having to dismount/remount, to renew light/nightvision effects (since some of us can't see a darn thing on max brightness without them...) this will help keep kitties from running into walls.

- AHHH why do I keep dismounting?
    I often use the ESC key to close bags/windows when I'm finished with them. However if you're on a mount it seems that it will dismount you first, before closing all the containers. I'm not sure how others feel about this, but it would be nice to not be cruising along on Kitteh, open up my inventory to check something, place ESC to close it, and then ...watch the slow tedious get-on/get-off animation in the middle of a field somewhere. I would say either use a different key for dismount (this might actually be an option?) or just...make it prioritise closing the bags FIRST?

Address mount/dismount weird limiting locations

There's no room here...except clearly there is...
    [​IMG]

I know cats like to climb trees, but....this shouldn't be a thing

[​IMG]

While mounted you can run "at" many things that should just you know, let you run into them, but instead, you run up them. Even without any jumping ability mounts (even horses lol) can just shimmy right on up to the top of tallest trees and they probably should not do this although it does open interesting possibilities for shortcuts.

Dangly clothes clip through mount
    [​IMG]

---

Some of these might be better suited to bug forum but I figure since all related I'd consolidate them here.

It is worth mentioning that even if none of these items get fixed, I still love the cats!! And I will still ride the cat, because its a cat, but if the mount was a bit more usable, it makes it more desirable/sellable/marketable. While I personally would have bought them even if they were just lot-bound deco pets I could sit on(like, animated kitteh chairs), I appreciate that isn't necessarily the case for everyone (although it totally should be).

Of these, most of them boil down to the mount/dismount speed. If that were addressed, then all the other issues (which usually result in you having to mount/dismount) would be less annoying. So low hanging fruit wise, insta on/off please! ;)

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it is, it's in the keybind list.

you can do that without the kitty. it's a known problem with the tree.

that's a harder problem. cloaks are already set to disappear, but individual items like those leggings are not a category.

Isabel Ayin and kaeshiva like this.
  3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Before that stuff is changed we need BEAR, DOG, DRAGON mounts!!! :D Love for all pets not just cats and horses. ;)

Isabel Ayin and Cordelayne like this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

And purple llamas....and I'd really love to ride an animated version of that giant wooden duck...just sayin...

[​IMG]

Isabel Ayin and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that might have to be sidesaddle.

Isabel Ayin likes this.
  6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

YES!!

Isabel Ayin likes this.
  7. Isabel Ayin

Isabel Ayin Avatar

Yes to everything! Mounted QOL and mountable dragons!
    * Kaeshiva, your green outfit is gorgeous!

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I feel a bit different about some aspects of mounts in Sota in some ways. I want to be able to command my horse to stay in the world and interact with it while not mounted. And yes to mounts having ability to jump. Hurdle jumping and race tracks in our towns has always been my vision. Ability to pet, brush, and feed a carrot or apple to my mount would be great.

Wizards Rest has an unused gust ball lot set up that now one uses. We have fishing in different towns. We could have horse racing as well if we had some tools for it. The start of race gunshot or horn, a timer of some sort just to mention a couple of things would be important. Oh yeah and ability to name our mounts too is missing.

9. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I got some work to do on mount this month ill try to address some of this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.