Music and Dance a Levelled Skill That Provides Hours-Long Buffs

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I believe Music and Dance should be leveled skills and provide substantial buffs for other Avatars that last several hours.

Be a musician.. be a dancer.. be both. And buff your friends at the same time.

This would make an RP dream for those of us that love to entertain and socialize. Imagine how busy Inns would be if people came to listen to music and watch dancers and get stronger doing so!

Also, music is synced in SOTA - so why not our dances too! That would be really cool.

Towns with live entertainment! Draw adventurers to with the promise of buffs and watch your vendors sell more goods! A lot of interesting stuff goes down in that environment too, I've seen it all!

It worked really well in Star Wars Galaxies. Here I am dancing at a cantina somewhere on Tatooine.

Ps. We need more alluring female outfits too please ;)

Edit to add VIDEOS!! YEAH!! SWG Had the ability to sync dance and music within groups, much like how music is synced in SOTA. The mechanics are there! Lets do this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

The Repopulation has a system implemented.
    Resting only in Bars / Taverns

There are telling and dance skills and you need to do combos of different tell or dance skills to buff all players around.
    For example start with an opeming skill then you have to time a ongoing story skill and maybe do a scary end or a dramatic or happy end and a buff is created.
    Same for several dances.
    It's like we want Bard Songs or a Song Combo Buff System.

Cool thing would like it to establish socializing hubs.

3. Alleine Dragonfyre

I'm not sure if you are aware but the Repopulation is a new game created to mimic all the good things SWG had on offer. The system is also great for camping. In SWG we had camps that we could drop in the world that allowed for rest as well. So many options!

Bigg, Bodhbh Dearg, majoria70 and 2 others like this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

i know - played about 100hrs before shutdown - now its life again, by the hero engine dev team iirc.
    crafting system with knwoledge database down to rare resources and qualitys and all that is amazing.
    I like Comba too, but it still feels clunky, although performance improved s lot.
    need lots of people, but many things are there including factions, housing and you can have more than one robot pet, build medical or combat robots...
    lots of very cool features.

5. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

The moment I read your title I thought, "Like the Entertainer from SWG? The stuff I could pull off back then was fun as s**t!", and then I saw the pic. I think the SWG devs reluctantly made Entertainer a fun profession due to a question I remember the lead DEV asking the community (regarding camping) "So, it's fun to just sit around?" To the devs surprise, yes, it is fun to do stuff where we just sit around. The only problem from this era is that there would most likely be alt buffbots, such as we had in SWG. Me? I had lights, smoke, a baby krayt dragon dancing and the Ithorian Trio of halograms tearing up the joint! :cool:

(I leveled Entertainer on my main because you kept any 'unique' song you learned despite switching out of the class. So, I could always pull out a musical instrument and play the unique songs, just without the rest of the Entertainer flashiness.)

6. Alleine Dragonfyre

My sentiments exactly! This was one of the most unique and (to a lot of people, like Devs) strangely successful of a system that I have not seen yet in an MMO. Sure the Repop had it but that's also admittedly a SWG clone just with a different premise. So let's hear it, devs! The mechanics are already there :D

7. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

8. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

The shorty-shorts were strong with my Ithorian Dr/Scientist/Pilot... And by law I'm required to mention Sex Defender. :rolleyes:

9. Alleine Dragonfyre

An ithorian in short shorts? Now that had to be something!

10. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

11. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Yes, it sounds interesting.
    I guess for playing music there could be added a failure value to the notes you play. With a bad skill in playing music you miss often the right tone (instead of an d you play a c or f) and maybe on reaching GM you have a 99.999% chance to play the right tone.

The skill tree could be simply made with one skill for each kind of instrument group. (woodwinds, brass instruments, …)

But of course this would mean that someone isn’t able to spontaneously play some music if he didn’t train the needed skill but as some asked for bards this might be an acceptable change…but thinking about the buff I honestly would say just dev made songs should grant a buff and maybe just they also need a proper skill. This would make it still possible to everyone to play some music without continuously jarring notes.

The dev songs itself would contain the buffs. E.g. song A is raising the regeneration of health for each right played note at 0.1% to a max of 10% but each false played note is lowering this buff at -0.25% as long as the musician is playing the music.
    Another song might raise the strength of surrounding avatars or their magical resistance or…

A “bard” could be this way a valuable member in group fights if he is playing the right song in the right moment.

The songs itself could even have difficulties. Song A is a simple one that can be played nearly flawless even with a skill of 40. Song B is granting a similar but stronger buff while it is also more difficult to be player and just with a skill of 75 you might play the song mostly free from errors.

A similar solution could be created for dancing but maybe we would need also a similar mechanic like we have with music. ABC dance files with “notes” that represents steps and each step takes e.g. 1 second. (a = step to the right, b = step to the left, c = moonwalk, …)

Again self-made step sequences would be free usable by everyone and just the dev step sequences would need skill to be performed right.

Maybe the dev made songs/dances (that grants a buff and need a skill) could be stored in a recipe book just like it is with the crafting professions to separate them from the free usable self-made songs/dances.

Similar to the songs above the dance could grant buffs but additionally there could be even combinations. Song A and Dance A both grant a higher regeneration but if both are active at the same time their buffs are combined to grant a greater buff than just the summary of both. Maybe there could be even some bad combinations like song A and dance B enrage enemies (make enemies stronger) or "force" every one around to dance for some seconds (avatars and enemies). :p

As e.g. in a tavern there might be more than one performer maybe just the song/dance of the avatar with the strongest skill takes effect.

Also the effective buff range could be influenced by the skill. E.g. starting with a circle of 2m around your avatar up to a circle of a 20m at GM.

I think there are some quite interesting possibilities thinkable but I guess this would be earliest something for ep2 or ep3. ;)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  12. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

There was a post on Youtube about SoTA where a group was fighting a demon and a guy in the group was playing the Final Fantasy fight theme. When the demon died they played the victory theme. Know this sounds off topic but it feels so appropriate! :p

On a more serious note (Eh? Eh? ;)) the 'bards' song in this instance could be that while playing the song the group is buffed and after the fight the switch in song could aid in regeneration.

13. Alleine Dragonfyre

Edited OP to add VIDEOS!! YEAH!!

14. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Synchronized dancing and men in Hawt Pants. Yes.

Unfortunately, the sequel never came because SOE broke the game and the rest is gaming history.

I'd love to see a /sync dance command in SoTA.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  15. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Speaking of hawtpants in SWG does anybody remember the Emperor glitch where his hologram displayed what looked like boxer shorts through his robe? Dude reminded me of my grandpa's attire on any given Sunday! :D

16. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I don't remember that glitch, but I used a nude patch. If he was *peeking* out of his robe, I would have seen a Ken doll facsimile :p

17. Alleine Dragonfyre

Hahaha! That was HILARIOUS!! Thank you @Fionwyn Wyldemane

18. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

I believe it only happened once and it was during an Imperial quest. If I remember correctly it was the quest where you could be killed 1-shotted by the Emperors hologram if you said the wrong thing to him. May have been part of the Imperial Armor quest line. The hologram appeared as a quest update communication popup and it displayed what looked like white boxer shorts showing through his blue, translucent hologram. It was quite a while ago, so I'm fuzzy on the details, but Papa Paplatine in Boxers and Robe cannot be forgotten.

I'd already gone through the process of acing all the factional space quests and wanted to get the Imperial armor that looked Camo on my Ithorian.

19. Alleine Dragonfyre

ROFL! How the heck did I miss this?! hahaha tee hee. boxers.. lol

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  20. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Yes! Discordance, Peacemaking & Provocation as well please?

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.