Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

My Sunday play session.

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by Merlota, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

I decided a stool and awning would be a good addition to my house plot. Tired of sitting on a rock in the rain. Looked it up and a crafted version exists so log in. 13 minutes after clicking go in steam I hit the world map. Wiki says the vendor for the stool is supposed to be in Resolute, okay thats close. A siege.. well made it in eventually.
    Run around like an idiot looking for "Sean Campbell" but never find him. Ask in guild chat, nobody knows. Eventually I give up and decide to try a completed town.
    Through a control point, will not enter Brittany on a bet. Through a second control point with a bugged gate, zone out and try it again, worked the second time. This is an undecorated sturdy stool, lets try solace the newbie town. Bad idea, too advanced for that given what I see on vendors there. On to Ardoris. Ooh another siege, oh well run through it spamming healing touch. I have now been playing an hour.

Boat to the market, tailor vendor, no awning but as sotawiki doesn't know where that comes from I just have to keep searching. The player run part of town won't help... I know there are other vendors here somewhere. Hey a carpenter's shop! He sells the awning and the stool! Still need a tanner to learn the dye for the awning but almost there. There is the tanner's station but no vendor with the dye. No shared banks so back to 'town' to build what I can and see if the dye might be discoverable. Lets burn a recall scroll.

Nope, not discoverable. Someone said they can make it in guild chat though. There is a stool, already had boards and poles made. Awning needs 20 boards and 10 bolts of cloth. No poles needed, odd, anyway lets use up that pine lumber and cotton thats been in the bank. Oops, creosote. Oops, wax. Oops, guildmate knew light green dye not green. Wonder where that recipe is sold. Two hours...

So now I'm on the hunt for a recipe with no clue where to look.

Could also use a few more granite blocks for my ruins. Seems that was never learned either even though I have some... I wonder who sells those patterns? Jaanaford? Useless, better stick to completed towns. Random skeleton encounter... Guildmate found the dye recipe first in Owls Head (using fast travel to party member), back to town.

Okay, 2.5 hours from logging in to placing my stool and awning. I'll have to repeat the ordeal to get more granite building blocks.

Was that supposed to be an enjoyable experience? I had the materials already, gathered over hours of grinding mobs. It still took 2 hours of frustrating searching to learn the recipes then 15 minutes to actually make.

ps: I almost didn't mention the 1 to 10 second hitches (I thought the game crashed a couple times) that happened often (multiplayer) but they got very annoying. Zone-Zone load times were in the 30 second range with the first few being very bad (see 13 min above).

2. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Why would you think building an awning & stool would be an enjoyable experience? That sounds like work to me.

3. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Because I already had all the materials. I thought I'd log on, make it, place it and then kill something.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. Selene

Selene Avatar

Sorry you had such a difficult time with your crafting. Right now the devs are in the process of moving the relevant recipes FROM the "recipe merchants" in owlshead to the appropriate type of crafting merchant. BUT this process isn't complete yet. Carpentry recipes (like the ones you are looking for) would be on a "carpenter" merchant. There is one in Sequanna Square in Ardoris on the corner closest to the crafting pavilion.

If you find yourself in the wrong part of the world from a vendor you are looking for, sometimes using the Rift Chronometer can hep you find a way across the map faster depending on the phase of the in-game moon. :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh thank you for sharing Merlota. Welcome to the jungle ummm I mean Shroud of the Avatar. also another place to find vendors who sell recipes is in Owlshead in the building behind the trainer and cow. Players can also share some recipes with you and emotes too. I checked and I don't happen to have that recipe atm. I am Majoria in game if I can ever help :)

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL, chonometer.

7. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

I've been here for quite a while. This was just the first time I decided to craft something new since recipe discovery was removed. The town where my house is is a long way from Owlshead or any completed areas and the lack of fact travel makes it painful.
    I prefer to play games by using ingame resources but that is simply not feasible here so the wiki gets used as well. Harkens back to EQ1 days where I would have alakazams open for maps or quest walkthroughs. The trouble in this case is that the wiki is less complete than the game so information like "Where can I buy this recipe?" simply is not available. There wasn't even a picture of an awning to know what I'd be getting. It wasn't until I saw then in use by NPCs in Ardoris I knew I wanted the green one.

uhop and Nhili Dragon like this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I understand there are many things changing with recipes, well and the whole game as it is developed. It's not in a state to count on knowing everything. We just do our best and muddle through finding what we can in our incomplete world ;;). Of course All content and recipes are definitely not in. So I wish you good luck on your hunt and also you can bug report a recipe, it lets the devs know perhaps it is missing;)

9. _Twilight_

_Twilight_ Avatar

Very familiar scenario- after you got your recipes and ingredients etc back home, you realised you need an additional special tool such as wood chisel or stone chisel or bone needle and your town ain't have a craft merchant that sell these. ;)

uhop likes this.
  10. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

finding a specific recipe is ridiculous. Finding that vendor in a huge town your not familiar with, even more ridiculous. The thought anyone would got to Brittany for anything more than the entrance to the Sewers... you guessed it completely ridiculous. Lot of work to be done but faster to take the long walk back to owls head until they spread those recipes all over the land.

And if your skill is high enough learning the path underground from resolute area to ardoris helps cut out two control points.

South something (areas just south of black blade on resolute side) go down the well, takes youth rough some underground passage to kiln cistern, from kiln to midmar(need key) midmar to spectral mines(need another key) and spectral mines to solania catacombs and I think there is a pass now to ardoris Sewers from there. Makes it at least a little more enjoyable of a run.

Getting familiar with that run makes it quicker if you already have the keys and know where your going.

11. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Went through that long ago so now keep a bag in the bank with all the specialty stuff. The protractor is either in my inventory or that bag (or broken). Did have to make two trips back for wax & creosote though.

@Toadster I've been through that path. It takes getting lucky with the oozes to make it through alive. In this case using the underworld route would have taken much longer but probably made the whole experience more enjoyable than a direct overland run.

12. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Finding recipes is supposed to be more difficult than looking it up on a website and logging in and simply crafting. Eventually there will be hundreds of player vendors offering these crafted items, or even just recipe resellers closer to your neck of the woods, for convenience sake ,w/a bit of a markup I would assume. It's always been the intent that crafting recipes, etc, should take effort to obtain in order to help increase the value of the items crafted. If it takes you ~1 hour of game time to "simply" learn how to craft something. I may be in the minority here, but I think that is as intended. If you're complaining about "long load times, hitching, and crashing" then I agree, and those are/will be addressed with every release.

MacGaellen and Lord Baldrith like this.
  13. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

To me, it sounds like you had fun, and lots of it... Just think, once you learn where everything is, they'll change it on you and you'll have more fun finding where everything moved too... I like these kinds of games, don't you...

14. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I love exploring unknown realms!

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Well, the simple fact is that this game is complex and to get good at it, you need to learn it. You just went through one of those learning experiences and now you have a nice item in your house that you crafted with your name on it. You should be proud of that. Second, you now know how to do it, if you want to make those items in the future it only takes minutes and you can sell them for gold and make a profit. Also, if you need to make something new in the future, it should take you significantly less time since you have learned how to now. You have taken a great step and you should be proud of it.

Id say the system is working perfectly as expected in this game and any other MMO.

MacGaellen and Retlaw like this.
  16. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I do like the adventure and feeling of accomplishment. So overall, I think you had an adventure and accomplished something.

The one part of it that I would find frustrating is that finding a recipe requires an out of game guide. I want in-game clues or resources to direct me to things like that.

Recipe hunting is a fairly random experience as a new player. There is no indication in-game of where to find recipes and I think the game can really improve on that. In-game references to the major Obsidian Crown merchants and where to locate each one is important as well.

NOW is fairly easy to find crown merchants now that I found them once - and you know pretty much which is on them.

But recipes is kind of ludicrous - is it Owl's Head? Vertas? Brit Wharfs? And where in Brit Wharfs? And where in this giant Baron building will the NPC be sitting? Shop-Keepers or vendors should always be at the front of the store, not hidden somewhere in a random room inside.

I understand the recipe frustration.

Though the hunt for ingredients I didn't mind personally.

I hope in the future we find the recipes in the major hubs of the game and have a better interface for learning said recipes. Like skill trainers, but recipe trainers. And allow the recipe trainers to direct you to other recipe trainers for what you're missing.

uhop likes this.
  17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I dunna think recipe hunting is very difficult. All it takes is asking just about anyone "hey where can I find xxxxx recipes" (in game or here or even a google search) and then you have it.

18. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Carpentry recipes seems rather tough to find, actually. Owls Head has a lot, but I couldn't find carpentry recipes in the crafter building there. The one place I did find them was Ardoris. Carpenter has a dedicated building near the market. Though, I have been frustrated by being unable to find a Wooden Bed Frame recipe to craft the bed I know how to make...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.