Naming Rules?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Robert Reise2, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasaro

Rasaro Avatar

Holy smokes, did naming just ever get complicated.
    However, I am excited for all the data. I think the best naming rules will be created after compiling it all.
    Some might have to be put to a vote, but that's okay.

Nietzsche, I love your idea the most. I have never heard of nor seen anything like it.

2. lordrex

lordrex Avatar

I would like the followint:

1- no trademarks or celebrity names
    2- no names that can be used to confuse player such as "a rabbit"
    3- the ability to change names if you have a title. so if my name is "mark johnson II", it might be cumbersome to be called "lord mark johnson II". I might want to change it to "lord of the plains" or something. I remember having a character that had a name that spanned 2 lines in ultima online once i became a lord. this annoyed me.

3. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

Title placement (before or after name) and the ability to turn off titles has already been discussed by Chris. I'll stop short of saying it is confirmed.

The manual editing of names kinda ties in with the idea of nicknames (I've been tossing this around, not sure how useful it would be). And the idea of having notes associated with players is a good one. (Let's see, who was collecting rat tails?)

4. yakmaster

yakmaster Avatar

First let me say that I don?t think this could ever be fully implemented, but it would be very nice. Everyone should have a unique identifier which is only used for mail. Personally I do not like tells, region, world or any other public or private chat channels. When you talk to someone you should be near the person, the further away the less likely you are to hear them (read their message). Anyone close enough should be able to overhear.

A person?s name shouldn?t be displayed unless you already know that person (marked as known. That way he/she could be a friend or enemy) or if that person is well known in the village/town/city. And even then you would need to ask a local.

5. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

@yakmaster - I like the idea of not displaying a name unless you know them. Maybe have a text-catcher and you do not see their name unless they introduce themselves or you overhear their name. That is always a RP thing I hated in other multiplayer RPGs. "How do you know my name when we have never met?" :)

Time Lord likes this.
  6. badunius

badunius Avatar

You know, there's one <strong>real</strong> problem about MMO naming: when you chose a name for your character you are very likely to find out that this name have been already taken. I can understand when it's about login, but name? Is this waaaay too impossible to have two Johns living in one country? one town? one building? That's why we get all this "XxGrimkorxX" and "oOoOoHaGu6aTe/\boOoOo" and so on. So there definitely should be a possibility to take any name, even if it's already used by some other character(s), may be with addition of some (random) (fixed) suffixes to make it distinguishable from others.

upd: Ooops, this issue have been already mentioned. Sorry.

<blockquote>I like the idea of not displaying a name unless you know them. Maybe have a text-catcher and you do not see their name unless they introduce themselves or you overhear their name.</blockquote>
    and the ability to give a false identity =)

7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I don't want to see a bunch of rules on names. Your settings should be able to help you filter some of that out (strict RPer should only see other strict RPers) or primarily see them in any case if the pool works the way RG has described. but I guess if it gets to the point where your Open play online mode is pulling people just from your geographic location you might hit that.

I still loved my crafter's name in UO. An Idiot. so whenever his mark was put on it, A Katana expertly crafted by An Idiot.

Time Lord and Marvin like this.
  8. Freddy

Freddy Avatar

We need a two name system , which please allow redunandt first names! I do not want to not have the firts name I like missspelled because of its already taken by somebody else...

Eddy

9. Brazen

Brazen Avatar

I would like to see one-character names. Allow unicode for variety but I am quite certain this will simplify things.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I hope there is a separate first name and last name field. However let last names allow for a space. Example "Del Rio" "Le Roux" or something like that.

Or even allow last names like "The Vagabond" since "The" is the english translation of "Le" in French.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I like what neverwinter has done. You can name yourself whatever you want and they don't care at all if someone has the same name. For things that matter, it will use some hash of an account name. But you can RP all day with whatever name you want.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I like that too. If jondavis wants to be named johndavis let him be jondavis. And if I wanted to be named jondavis I too should be named jondavis. I don't see why that would cause a problem. Accept if jondavis sings a song

"Cause I'm jondavis, yes I'm the real jondavis All you other jondavis' are just imitating. So won't the real johndavis please stand up,please stand up, please stand up?"

He would then immediately be permanently flagged for PvP on general principal for singing that song.

However we wouldn't have to worry about somebody taking the name we wanted!

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

This may be a different thread, but will there be a chance to "flag" players with bad names? (There could be flagging for offensive behavior too). You almost need a certain level of community supervision since no system is going to catch someone who chooses the first name "FU" and the last name "KYU". I would like to point it out to an administrator and have them decide then if the name should be changed. I'm not saying give the community authority to do it - but just point out bad things.

14. PeskyNeedler

PeskyNeedler Avatar

If I see what I consider to be an immersion breaking name, then I want to have some type of "/client_ignore" command so that at future times I play the server filters out that person from my client. That way, I don't have to worry about reporting someone who may have a legitimate reason for choosing the name that rubs me the wrong way. Since the devs said the servers will not be showing everyone to each client (even in full multiplayer), this "/client_ignore" option will hopefully be do-able.

15. Knasers

Knasers Avatar

I would like to have the old red/grey/blue name system signifying criminal levels BUT I would like guilded/allied people to be a SHADE of green/other. I was always confused by red/grey names.

16. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

agreed with most posters - a space for two names - first and last - and no funny characters or numbers

Thanks,
    Matheryn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.