Naming Rules?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Robert Reise2, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Reise2

Robert Reise2 Avatar

I like the 1 space rule so we can have a first and last names. What do you guys think?

2. Owain

Owain Avatar

I'd like a first, middle, and last name, but then, I'm Welsh.

Owain ab Arawn

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Baron_Peregrine

Baron_Peregrine Avatar

My hopes are less stringent: I'd like to see a no special characters and no 69/420 rule. ;)

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I agree, In a story based / roll playing game there should be no special chars in names.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Lord Bruce

Lord Bruce Avatar

I like the idea of allowing up to a 3-word name with each word separated by a single space and limited to around 20-25 characters.

This would allow for any of the following combinations:
    . first and last name
    . first, middle & last name
    . title and first name (Sir Bruce)
    . title and last name (Lady Hitchcock)
    . first name, last name & suffix (Simon Rasmussen Jr or Hannibal Lector IV)
    . title, last name, and suffix (Lady MacBeth 2nd or Mr Rogers III)
    or any other mix that fits in up to a 3-word format.

Since many countries use accented letters, these should be allowed without question.

6. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Avatar

Sir Bruce, I like your idea! Makes the RPG aspect more interesting!

7. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I wouldn't put a title in your name. It's something you'd want to earn as part of the game. Unless you really want to end up as "Baron Sir Bruce".

Time Lord likes this.
  8. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Avatar

You got a point there PrimeRib!

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

Ever read Catch-22? Major Major Major Major.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Isaiah

I agree provided that accented letters, hyphens, and so on, that are a part of real names, aren't counted as special characters.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Robert Reise2

Robert Reise2 Avatar

No 3 word names... Give us awesome titles we can EARN to customize the front and back of our character names. People giving themselves titles is the ultimate taboo. Who gives themselves a nick name? "Hi my name is Rob, but people call me King Rob (By people I mean me.)"

Not to mention its kinda lame and immersion breaking to see someone in newb starter armor called King of Everything or Lord Tyranous. If you are going to have a Lord Title, earn it by contributing to the KS or doing something epic in game.

12. Ara

Ara Avatar

A good or bad title and one name is enough.

Dread Lord Ara is how it should be.

13. Baron Elvish Dragon

Baron Elvish Dragon Avatar

No titles, no numbers, no \/@!#$%^&*() etc.
    Nothing that can even be construed as something from either another popular franchise, "pop culture icon" some form of killa/baller/etc.

so no Lord Skywalker or Baron n3wbkilla or Chambermaid Justina Beiber

And for the imagination impaired, include a random name generator.

But that is just my 2c.

14. Baron Elvish Dragon

Baron Elvish Dragon Avatar

OOh I know, even better no restrictions but if they use something like the above, NPCs treat them really funny... some point and laugh... others feel sorry for them since their parents must have really hated them to give them a name like that, some shopkeepers refuse to give them service until they act more serious ;)

15. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Umm concidering we all paid for our titles why shouldnt we be able to use them? and they already said that we get last names if you have pledged at certain level (and everyone else gets to earn them)

16. Lord Kei

Lord Kei Avatar

Hmm I kinda like the name Chambermaid Justina Beiber. **jots down in notebook**

17. Knight2

Knight2 Avatar

From what I understand and read on titles, they will NOT be apart of your name at creation, but more of your option to show them later while in game. So no need to put titles in your name, once you earn them in game, just turn them on so people see them. Names should be just that, NAMES, pick First Middle and Last, in game turn on the title and you will be set.

Other than that I like this idea of no number or special characters

18. Arrakis Dar'luim

Arrakis Dar'luim Avatar

As long as we can have two names, and a apostrophe like was allowed in the original Ultima, I'm set.

20-25 characters seems reasonable as well.

19. Dargalin

Dargalin Avatar

I would love to see RP naming conventions enforced somehow. Nothing bursts the bubble like bumping into someone with a completely off track name. Or perhaps merely no symbols or numbers and Enforce Capitalisation to thwart the people who look like they've typed their character name with their forehead?

20. Laughing Vergil

Laughing Vergil Avatar

Much of a character's name depends on their backstory. John Haraldson of London was a normal name in England around 1250-1350. Olwyn the Rat was recorded in the Domesday Boke. The first Master of Crossbowmen in the French king's service whose name we know was Thibaud de Montleard, who was arrested in 1230. Adam of Saint Victor was a medieval composer who died in the mid-1100s.

Historically speaking, outside of nobility, Surnames generally were of occupation (Smith, Cartwright, etc) of location (of London, Von Hoehnstein, de Madrid) or geography (de la Mer), or of some identifying characteristic (William the Tall, Jacques le Rond). Occasionally, there were multiple names. Welsh fishing villages were renowned for this, having half the men named Gwilym ap Gwilym; bynames (e.g. Fat Gwilym) or even their father's byname (Gwilym ap Gwilym the Fat) or location names (Gwilym yn y gornel, or William at the corner). Other locations or times had different patterns.

Personally, I would like to see something like - Two major names (capitalized) with up to two modifiers (e.g. of the, junior, the, of, ap, neyn, de la, etc). However, from comments in the Kickstarter, I gather that people do not get their surname until they have leveled somewhat. Let me see if I can find that.... ah, yes: <blockquote cite="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0">Also, get your last name early! Ordinary adventurers must reach higher levels to display a last name for their character, but not you! Immortal Adventurers will have the right to select and display both a first and last name right from the get-go! </blockquote> And titles, likewise, are a separate part of things, displayed or not as you wish from titles you have earned, so I suspect that overall, this discussion is just a bit moot. ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.