Navigation Troubles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nonobadkitty, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nonobadkitty

nonobadkitty Avatar

I am having a huge problem navigating in this game. Apparently the only way to move around is to use both the keyboard and mouse? Is that correct? Is there ANY way to lock the avatar's facing direction to the navigation keys somehow? Even locking mouselook so it only moves around N/S/E/W instead of also up/down would help. Ideally I'd like it to automatically face whatever direction I'm using the keyboard to navigate, but maybe that is too much to ask (sorry, so many years playing online RPGs where this happens automatically, I'm having to relearn everything to play this game.)

Any suggestions or tricks to make it easier? I feel like I MUST be missing some setting somewhere, but I've looked in the options and can't find anything except reassigning keys, but that doesn't solve the problem, it's the mouse that's the problem mostly (and my lack of coordination and preference to keyboard-only navigation.)

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

use both the left and right mouse buttons at once.

nonobadkitty likes this.
  3. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I'dliketocomment,butI'mhavingtroubleuingmykeyboard...ifonlyicouldchatwithamoue

Spoon and High Baron O`Sullivan like this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I do prefer a slightly different control scheme myself. The way it's set up takes me time to get used to. Though I prefer a mouse & keyboard combo as I like having that separate control over the camera.

Hmm.. perhaps it would be more helpful to comment if I could remember the exact set up I prefer.. seems a bit awkward not being able to remember what's different. But something like Elder Scroll's set up feels a little more natural to me.

nonobadkitty likes this.
  5. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

There are many threads currently about unhappiness with the game control setup. Currently my biggest issue is the lack of a "free-view" while running (WoW style). Not being able to look behind you while running in a straight line is kinda a big deal to me. Hopefully we will see more control options in the setting menu in the future.

Miracle Dragon and nonobadkitty like this.
  6. nonobadkitty

nonobadkitty Avatar

I managed to get it to work somewhat better by turning mouselook sensitivity WAY down, but still, I'd prefer to use only a keyboard. It's workable now though.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions to those who helped.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Shroud of the Avatar Commands <<<<< click here to see

Well I don't know what games you have been playing. I know some of them have different controls to move like Tera was really hard for me to get used to but once I was used to it, I had no issues. Mostly the way I move is with both mouse buttons and the 'W' or 'S' key . I also
    use the numlock key to keep moving (continuous movement until you stop it) forward here and there, and then just guide with my mouse so I don't have to keep both mouse buttons down all the time. It gives my fingers a break and then when I want to stop the forward motion from the numlock key I just hit the 'W' or 'S' key or both mouse keys.

I don't feel that this game so different for movement. I logged onto a couple of games I play here and there to compare, and they had the same movement as Shrouds. So Star Wars old republic and Archeage controls for movement work just like Shrouds, DC universe uses the 'W" key and 'F' to fly using the 'W' key and 'shift' key to jump and camera, and mouse up to fly higher. I know I did discover the control 'M' if you like that motion, but if not just control 'M' to toggle it back off. I have played other games where you hold both mouse buttons down to move forward and then I think I have played games where you just hold down the left mouse button. So hopefully you can find a comfortable way for movement. **cheers**

8. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

majoria70 likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thanks, I think it is fixed now. lol;)

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  10. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Sorry for my previous post, my computer keyboard literally broke on me while trying to reply. (currently using an on-screen keyboard, what a pain!)
    I agree the controls feel a bit clunky at first. It took me a few releases to get use to them.
    I think we can fairly chock some of this off to 'pre-alpha' status. Improvements may come as the core systems are completed.

I'm glad adjusting your mouse sensitivity helped. I find that having a good cloth mouse pad makes a huge difference.

11. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Having to hold down the right mouse button to move the camera is physically painful to me. Skyrim has the right of it - just moving the mouse should be sufficient to move the camera. Just the other day I logged into Skyrim for the first time in over a year, and it was a joy to move around. Then back to SOTA - ouch!

12. Fellentier

Fellentier Avatar

I'm partial on my opinion on this. I do feel that for extended game-play it does hurt to have to hold the mouse in the way that this game requires. Albeit possible to move around normally, it doesn't feel right. I would prefer having a locked camera so I could simply turn left, right, etc and have my camera move with me. I do not know where the dev's would like this to go or why they did what they did, but there needs to be a fix at some level to alleviate repetitive use stress.

Kara Brae likes this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think we may all be forgetting one significant detail. The level of interactivity in SotA. It's a lot easier to just click on a plant than it is to angle the camera to put that plant in your crosshairs. Imagine what a paint that would be!

There's a trade off here and it might just be better the way it is. What might be nice is to give us the option to toggle the camera controls between having to use the right mouse button and just moving the mouse.. perhaps the mouse button would release the camera so we can click on whatever we want to click on?

Options would be nice.

Vaentorian likes this.
  14. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I use a Track Ball, not a mouse to move around, I only use the "s" to back out of an area wo/turning around (dbl tap for a defense roll)...You get used to using 2 buttons though, I can always tell when someone is using the keyboard, their turning is not graceful to watch...

This was added under options>game>check box

15. tuxthecat

tuxthecat Avatar

I have to agree with the OP. I would greatly like a way to lock the camera view to match the direction you are facing so you can use the keyboard only to move. I have accessibility issues and it's really hard to have to use both hands to move all the time. It basically makes the game unplayable for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.