Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Need the ability to lock decorations in place.

Discussion in 'Release 31 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Jul 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

There are many decorations that once placed I really don't want to move them on accident ever. Walls, titles, normal scenery.

What I'd love to see is that when you click on an item in decoration mode you get the additional option to LOCK IT. This means that even if you're in decoration mode and you attempt to move it you can't until you UNLOCK IT.

Make sense? Great, let's do it! :)

Hornpipe, Saesa, Qwark and 16 others like this.
  2. DuKe NuKeM

DuKe NuKeM Avatar

Yes I fully agree with you ! :rolleyes:

3. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

I quite like this idea. I always feel like I have to tiptoe around my own house to avoid upsetting the scenery and trying to interact with a usable decoration is... well, results vary.

I think down the line we're getting the ability to just lock down our entire lot & all decorations as a toggle of sorts, so once that comes online we should be ok.

4. Lained

Lained Avatar

This is already in game, you can bind a key in the control options.

FrostII and DancingShade like this.
  5. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

@DancingShade
    Might not be aware: you can turn Decoration Mode Off/On in your options Menus (ESCAPE KEY) > GAME TAB > SCROLL DOWN > Should see "Enable Decoration Mode" > Clear the Checkmark from the Box; now you won't be able to move items on your property. Also, as mentioned in post above: in the CONTROLS section of the Options Menu, if you scroll to very end you will see where you can assign a Key to turn the Decoration Mode off/on.

6. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

7. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

I was not, thanks! I remembered it being an upcoming thing from some time ago but missed it getting implemented.

Appreciate the heads up!

Celthon likes this.
  8. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

Yes, this is a very good feature that needs to be added, as currently it is too easy to accidentally move something while moving/placing something else.

"This Item Is Locked Down"

9. Curt

Curt Avatar

What if decorations had layers.
    Anything you placed would be placed in the current layer
    If you changed to a different layer you would be impossible to move stuff from a different layer

Could also have some on/off thing for the various layers
    so could have some event stuff that was only visible when you turned that layer on.

10. Net

Net Avatar

I really want to lock chests!!! It is so easy to move them accidentally whern I try to access them and when they move with all the items around it is not good.

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Are you aware of this:

[​IMG]

12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes that's not what I'm talking about. Some things I want to move while other things I don't, read the OP.

13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

So you're asking them to write the code to allow locking (individually) every container in the game against accidental movement - when at the press of a key you can do that already ?

I mean, if I want to decorate I hit a key that allows that.
    If I don't want to decorate (or move something accidently) then I hit that key again.

How hard is that ?

Weins201 and sake888 like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

If necessary, yea...

Although I think the bigger elephant in the room is the issue of how easy it is to pick up things by accident.

@Net, its easy to move chests accidentally because when there's lag in the game, double-clicks will be often registered as a drag movement. I've been having this problem a lot in the current QA. Its hard to talk to NPCs, and when I try to double-click to pick up items, I drag them. Same thing happens with double tapping keyboard keys, which prevents me from doing combat rolls. Its something they ought to fix.

Then, there's the common experience I have of picking up some object that's on the floor below where I'm working, even though in theory its blocked off by the ceiling. Somehow, the game doesn't register that its blocked off, and lets me pick it up, and sometimes where I drop it I don't know. Sometimes I've dropped items on the floor above me. Sometimes, it goes out the building wall and lands outside on the ground around the house. Pretty annoying.

Net and Celthon like this.
  15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Good grief, guys... Not moving anything accidently is one key-click away right now.

I see no need in using more dev time to code individual movement locks on containers, all so a few of you don't have to use the current single key toggle that avoids it already.

16. sake888

sake888 Avatar

Too hard I guess.

I think this board needs an exploding head emoji more then the game needs to have every placeable item have additional code written for it, especially since there is already an existing fix to the "problem".

FrostII likes this.
  17. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

Being able to lock individual items means that once an item is placed, it could be locked down and then WHILE STILL IN DECORATION MODE I would be able to continue to move/place other items without the possibility of moving and/or picking up the item(s) that have been locked down. Many, many times, due to lag or whatever issues cause the keyboard and mouse to function erratically, I have picked things up accidently and in the blink of an eye they were halfway across the room in a new position. When trying to place many small items in close proximity to one another, on a bookshelf for example, this scenario gets to be extremely frustrating.

The toggle you keep referring to turns off/on Decoration Mode entirely, and that is not what is being asked for in this thread.

18. Net

Net Avatar

Good grief, try to do something with tons of decorations around. Like bookshelf fileld with books. I might want to shuffle the books around, but I do nto want to move the damn bookshelf everytime, I misclick a pixel away due to the lag.

Locking items may not be widelly used feature, but it would be handy one. When I am building I move items around but once I am happy with the palcement, I would gladly lock them. I can make them private, but that is hardly the same.

One Zero, Saesa, Athanil and 2 others like this.
  19. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I agree, I too have moved items by accident in decoration mode and in some situations was becoming frustrating due to the items proximity to one another.
    If all ones is doing is adding a table here and a chair then there is no reason for needing a locking mechanism but once one starts to get really into many items then one starts to see the benefits of having the ability to lock certain items in place to prevent from further accidental movement..

Matt Harris and Acred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.