Negativity, or not!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ashlynn [Pax], Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Some of us might come across as a bit negative in the community. I can't speak for everyone but I've got as much emotional investment in this game as everyone else and I want it to be a success. I want it to be big thing and so do many friends of mine who I suspect I'll be spending a lot of time with in this game.

So when I pick at things I am doing so because I am genuinely concerned over the direction or end result. I'll admit I often look at the worst possible scenario because well... anything better is a bonus, right? (that's just my personal outlook =P) And I also think proper criticism can only be a useful tool for the devs.

Anyway I thought I'd mention it because some perceive an atmosphere of negativity as of late. I don't actually want to be someone who is creating a doom and gloom atmosphere. I have high hopes for SotA! And I think many other backers who seem a little despondent feel the same way.

So we're all rooting for SotA in our own way!

Xandra7, Umbrae, Retro and 8 others like this.
  2. Maximus

Maximus Avatar

I have alpha and beta tested a lot of games and many of them turn out to be failures financially. That being said, I strongly believe from what I have seen here so far that this particular game has a better chance to make it then most. The ace in the hole that we have is the games original creator. If he cannot get the magic correct then nobody can. I have full faith in Richard Garriott. It is because of that faith that I donated to my first crowd funding game.

3. stile

stile Avatar

Hear ye, hear ye!

I ignore negativity.

no.. not literally. Well.. I only have one person on my ignore. For the most part I have a no ignore policy on ignoring due to my news and community activities.

but I mean I just choose to ignore it.. by ignoring it?

What you said!

4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

If it's just complaining with no reasoning or explanation, generally it's not worth paying attention to.
    If it's the same thing over and over again with no desire to compromise it's not worth the time.
    If someone is willing to explain and compromise then I'd always give them the time to at least listen to what they have to say. It doesn't cost me anything to be sympathetic as ling as it's reciprocated.

greaseDonkey and Daevin Aruth like this.
  5. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

That's the heart of it I think. A lot of the negativity come from those who dig in and post the same opinion over and over and over again. It seems like there's a lot of negativity because of the number of posts but not the number of actual negative people on here. I think anyone who makes their point and then engages in a discussion is fine.

Why it irks me is that I paid to have LB and team design the game. I didn't ks those (very few) on here who constantly think they can design the game better. Those who should, if they really believe in their own ideas (re: housing, combat, PvP, whatever), develop a game according to their own perspectives. I might even ks it!

Just like life - some prefer to push for their own ideas to the point that it brings down the whole community. Still better here than on almost any other forum.

6. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I'm not so sure about this sentance, but I totally agree with everything else you said.;)

7. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Personally, if this were another EA title being developed, I would be wary of getting my hopes too high, simply as it's been shown too often in the past years, they're quite willing to simply milk the Ultima IP for any possible profit regardless of development quality. It's kinda harsh, but that's my personal opinion, especially after the interference and eventual push to get RG out of there (plus the closure of Origin Systems still rankles my behind).

But considering the group of talent that's been gathered for SotA, and the fact that Garriott himself is leading it, gives me a lot of hope for the future. I'd LOVE to see Warren Spector involved due to his influence on the Ultima Underworld titles, but that's probably a pie-in-the-sky idea. Either way, I'm expecting a quality RPG title that should be damn enjoyable. Whether or not it fully encompasses the original Ultima universe, I don't know. There's so much that remains locked away in EA's control, I sometimes wonder if they wouldn't be better with a completely fresh IP that would not be as limited.

8. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

...I'm not going to say "beating a dead horse", but...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.