Nested POTs

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Caliya, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Data shows otherwise...

They talked about having sold close to 250 now. That is almost 20 POTs sold without overland access.
    *Checking the updates* the last overland access was sold in July 15th. So exactly 2 months ago.
    That is about 2 per week and still counting.

2. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Hmm ok, then i was clearly wrong.
    Well i wouldn't want one, the "nested" thing sounds annoying to me.

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Inflation has a meaning to you?

4. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

yes but they can have 100.000 nested pots doesnt matter as long as you dont plan to make real money or gold out of it, than it would be a problem i know there are guys that want to sell for real money there space in there pots, than i guess this would suck but matched on game play i dont see problems

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

You have to see it separate from the pot investment.
    I have a pot. I don't mind that it's not going to make me rich and famous.
    That's about the investment you did with buying your pledge.
    The inflation in land devalues every pledge with a deed.
    I don't mind that as well. I have two deeds with my pledge. The fact that I don't have to farm them and don't have to pay taxes is enough for me.
    But I know there are quite a few people out there that have the feeling their pledge lost a chunk of its value. And I can't blame them.

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Also it makes very little business sense for Portalarium.
    The pricing for POTs was obviously much lower than the market put value on it.
    Leading to an overselling of a low-priced item. Creating issues in the "production" end.

Had they instead increased the pricing after realizing it was a much bigger success than anticipated. Then Portalarium could have had the same if not higher profit while creating less work.

It is very strange since when Obsidian Tower homes proved to be really really popular they removed the 'sale' and doubled the price. Just like what we see they will do with other items soonishâ„¢.

7. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

I don't understand what this value quotient is. You bought a pledge for what it cost. You get what you get inside of it. What came before or comes after, as long as it does not 'change' the content of the pledge does not diminish what you get out of it. I bought my pledges because they offered me what I wanted to do in the game and would help the development of the game in the process. As long as those pledges do not change in some way, what do I care of what comes after?

The more people look at pledges in regards to personal profit, in a pre-alpha environment, the less they are going to be happy at the end. The pledges were not designed to line backers pockets in their implementation. (I know, it's just crazy to think that) That, is a side effect for people who look for that angle. While that is alright, complaining about developments that change this 'perceived' value is....

Now if you were told that you'd get 'X' and are getting 'Y', you have a case to complain and get your money back I think but some aspects of the game are still undecided and have potential to affect some things and not always to everyone's liking. We are in Pre-Alpha, buying an in-game aspect that is likely to change is risky but you were likely told such things might change in certain ways. I'd rather the game be better than you make more profit.

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

So when PoTs first appeared the anticipation was that there would not be many. The sales surpassed what anyone expected.......in fact I remember in a hangout when around 80 (or something like that) had been sold, the feedback was that they were 'close' to where they wanted to be. Many (including myself) expected the cap to be something like 100-150.

So now we are at around 250 I can understand why some feel that they have been devalued.........more so than monetary because as more PoTs are produced, they then become harder to fill......so you could argue they are devalued two fold.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  9. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

I think its a good thing that we got such a high number.
    First more produktion money.
    Second in case that shroud gets more interrest when we hit episode one we have a lot of player who want to life some where.
    There for you have lasser player who are dissapointed and quit after testing.

As i said i can only see that this effects peapel who had the plan to buy a pot and sell the space for real money.

10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Not really

You need to think further than episode 1. One of the things that destroyed UO was static or diminishing playerbase with increasing land.

11. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

There is alot of value in a POT, but not in how you are looking at them. Their in-game dynamic is pretty impressive. Your entire guild can exist in their own towns. 'Dayam!' Buying them just to charge perspective tenants then having competition does not diminish their value at all. People just valued them to highly and did not consider having competition. (Seriously?) In game deeds have a set cost. People will be selling houses for a price, some trying to make a profit I suspect and those sold for in-game gold having a set price. Look at it this way, a person thinking to charge someone more on top of taxes and another not does not diminish the value to the person not intending to charge more. If i thought running a POT was going to be something I wanted to do, I'd have bought one. Not because I think it a way to get more in game or out of game money.

Xandra7 likes this.
  12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The missing piece for you then is that a big part of the SotA business model comes from banking on the sales of deeds and adding store items related to those.
    In the addon store for E1 we have About $300k in deeds.
    $400k without discount.
    For E2 if there are no pledges then that sum would be about 2.5-3 M$ if we count low. (But closer to 5-10 M$ if we look at all deeds and double for the double sized continent).

So as you can see every little bit that the market expectations get lowered on that estimate it will hurt the bottom line.

13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Just for the case you didn't get it: I have no intend to make profit.

That said, that's basically what is happening.
    PoTs weren't supposed to exist at all during the kickstarter.
    Thinking that the development of the game doesn't affect your pledge value is either white-knighting to the extreme or naive.
    If you care about is of course entirely up to you. I don't care much about it. But I can understand the people that care.

rune_74 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.