Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Network congestion at Owl's Head

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by Numa, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

I don't have the best of connections relying on a mobile HSPA+ signal to get my SOTA fix. But R23 is the first time I"ve been repeated disconnected by Pelican due to a network congestion issue (ie. my connection wasn't fast enough). The worst was at Owl's Head, it didn't matter whether I was in SPO mode or multiplayer - I"d get kicked out after a few minutes.

To test my theory, I tried entering the overland map level - no problem. But the minute I tried to get into the town it was kickout time. Entering Wizard's rest or Wightwick didn't cause the same issue because (I would guess) there weren't hordes of players modifying the scene & causing massive updates.

R23 will probably have the highest player count so far so I expect my problems to continue. I"ll see whether an LTE connection or a fast DSL connection at a nearby friendly neighborhood cafe will make things better. Since this isn't really a bug, I"m not reporting it but I"m curious whether some people are also experiencing the same problem.

4EverLost likes this.
  2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Thus far, Owls been good to me. But then again, I play SPOn so maybe that's why?

Numa likes this.
  3. Numa

Numa Avatar

Even on a wired connection my latency to the US is crap - around 200-300ms & on a mobile signal it's worse. LTE should fix it though, the huge speed increase and lower latencies should bring things back to normal. Hopefully.

This is a bird's eyeview of what's to come once we increase our playerbase by a factor of ten. POTS can help though , if the owners provide public crafting stations and other stuff to decentralize traffic in NPC towns and cities.

4EverLost likes this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yesterday I had lots of such issues for the first time ever. But I got them both in Desolis and then in my POT Lux Sanctuary.
    I'm guessing that it was simply server pressure.

Numa likes this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Performance is not as good for me this release, well so far. As in previous new releases many times it starts out that way and gets better as we are into the release longer. I am having very slow start ups to get into the game and white screen for quite a while and more kicks from the game than usual this release. I take it as all good though, it just means we are making progress and getting so much more into the game for the servers to have to deal with and more for Port to fix as we go along. It's all progress. It is just giving them what they need to make the best game for us.:)

Tyde, Gabriel Nightshadow and Numa like this.
  6. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Also agree that Saturday and Sunday were very bad. Dropped twice. Very choppy.
    30mbps here. Was playing in SPO and still had problems in Owl's Head.
    Hopefully just glitches and they are aware and fixing.

Numa likes this.
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

More players, more content, more functional stuff - the pressure must be the increasing all around.

@marjoria70 , I'm having much slower startups and white screens too this release. I was considering an SSD upgrade for my gaming laptop, now it's beginning to look like a necessity. I don't want to miss out on this phase of SOTA - specially not the community activities :(

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I think and SSD upgrade would not hurt for me also, hopefully it can wait for a while though. My computer is only a couple of years old.;)

Numa likes this.
  9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

SSD had very little effect for me. Most of it is server side and communication, writing to disk is very small part of that. So unless you are sitting on very luxurious broadband it should not help as much as it can do with a non-online game.
    But then I'm in scandinavia so my connection isn't that great on the best of days.

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.