New article about SotA - objective and interesting, worth a read

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LoneWerewolf, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

@LoneWerewolf
    there's a certain amount of former backers who are simply too salty to help the game progress any further, without realizing it. Playing early access games has that effect on some people, unfortunately.

From what I can tell, the only reason they log on the forums or external sites at all is to drag supporters and new players into pointless debates about launch definition or cherry pick their posts in order to passive-aggressively attack them, (which helps SotA thrive how?)

I'm sure that's who he was talking about. No?

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  2. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Im a bit confused as to why you would post something that is guaranteed to get the thread locked or deleted. Please remove it.

3. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

ok, that was a problem of writing instead of saying. The emphasis in this sentence is on "only" and "[polish". What I was trying to say is that the main story (which is of course what we are talking about here) will nto be changed much anymore and therefore it is unreasonable to think that till release, which should be soon, it will get much better and suddenly be a worthy Ultima story questline

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Sure but a single player RPG should also play and feel like a single player RPG and not like a MMORPG - and this is a huge part of what is missing right now.

5. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

Fixed it, for the faint of heart.

Mykll likes this.
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Do you know if they have said anything about what they are working on since they talked about adjusting the single player economy? I also heard rumor of a "dark period" in which there would be no updates just before commercial launch. Maybe thats gonna be a big chunk of single player development time as well

Also have you heard anything about side quests involving the companions? I missed quite a few postmortems and telethons this year

Holy crap there was liek a full page of stuff while i was typing this

7. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

So we should sit back, be quiet and wait for the mystical weeks in which they fix it all? Is that what you are suggesting?

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  8. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I played all the UO games growing up, and it is what drew me to this game. I helped kickstart this with a large amount and in early versions only tested for abit. I got sucked in but was not happy at the start as there was little to test. a year later I came back to see how things were progressing and there was enough content to play with for a while, again I took a break for another year. As of last year I have been on pretty much every day testing and playing and seeing that this is coming together every patch. I can see the direction this is all going and as a backer I am extremely happy.

I posted an article a while ago about expectations and timelines to point out that most people have no idea on game development time and costs. AAA titles that people usually relate to had more development time than this game and on 10 x more funds. Yet some expect that they should be better. The team is small and its our funding that has gotten it here. In time we will all get what we pay for I am sure. This is the first game where designers and developers sit and listen and develop based on our idea. It may not be quick to get some functions in but they do come in time.

I never expected a single player game from this, I know its an option, but in reality this is an MMO with offline with some story changes for single player and will always be that way imo.

I understand that people want what they want now in a game which is understandable. Its just something we have to learn to wait for :) I really do not want them to rush things just to entertain a few peoples views to keep them happy. I would rather see it done right to make us all happy.

jammaplaya likes this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

No. The impatience is aassumed by the often negative or agressive wording of feedback. It's how several folks on the forum present themselves. Doesn't mean they gotta be quiet.

But at the same time you cant really expect people not to get pissed off at it

No.

10. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

its always important to hear what people feel are lacking, and always good to get feed back on the issues from the developers. That will give some indication on time frame in most cases. Or as some cases where they outright say they will look at that after the main progression / story. At least we get some direction on what the focus is :)

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Offline was much more about Dev+ assets and the crowd source nature of Unity. You’ll find no statements about offline being more than online anywhere during the Kickstarter.

When companions was a hot topic was when the split came in. Companions online doesn’t fit were offline they do.

I am not going to say I am 100% on this because we all came here with our own hopes on the direction of SotA but I am certain enough that I’d go back and rewatch every Kickstarter video if there was one solid quote that says otherwise. During the Kickstarter of course.

And I hate rewatching those videos

Bubonic likes this.
  12. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Certainly did not or know the difference for that matter, in the end does it matter to the reader? no =) bad press is bad press whatever you decide to label it.
    The Launch that everyone fears/wants is just that a tag, changes absolutely nothing for me you or anyone else.

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

You mean the quote of "basically a soloplayer game with the option to play online"? ;)

Fact is, a MMORPG plays and feels very different than a single player RPG. So how can SotA be more than an offline MMORPG with a story if it plays exactly like the online MMO part? And looking at my signature "no one needs an Offline MMORPG".

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Jamet, Sir Cabirus and Mykll like this.
  14. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

It was about white knights and how toxic the community became over time, seperated into 2 reddits, official forums and a lot of hate+valid criticism under each news article you find in germany, russia or on MMORPG.com ;) But I dunno why... besides the troll incident from Darkstarr... I think lately it was improving.

15. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

That incident made me laugh my ass of :D Valid concerns there are.. but... still funny :eek:

16. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

I just made a new char to check out the game from a newbie standpoint...the game is so much better now vs when we went live.

The devs are focused on the game at the lower levels right now and it shows! Once they are done with the lower levs, they will start doing more work on the higher lev areas. The game at lower levs is pretty amazing right now! If you want to get excited about the game again, make a new char and see how far the game has come.

17. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

There was only one UO or are you talking about expansions?

Jamet and Sir Cabirus like this.
  18. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

Did that. I don't complain without knowing what I complain about. Not a troll

Jamet and Sir Cabirus like this.
  19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That is rewording the same thing I have stated. It’s those hopes that we all came here with that change how we form out interpretations. Let me reword it this way. Why would we want them to leave out things for online? I expect online to be as excellent of an experience as offline.

MMO, RPG, single player, multiplayer, that’s all substance that only scews the topic. This is mode A, B, C, and D I am talking about.

However, I stand by the belief that a persistent world RPG (online or offline) being played solo or multiplayer will be a better game than anything on the market. SotA has the tools to do a persistent world. Only time will tell if they deliver a better product.

Vallo Frostbane likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.