Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Chat interface?

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by rune_74, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Any chance of improving the interface for when you enter chat? Maybe open a window centered in the screen instead of having to use the little chat window?

It doesn't really work the way you have it now, it makes conversations awkward.

docdoom77 and smack like this.
  2. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We've redone it once already based heavily on input from @Lord_Darkmoon. Is the problem that the chat window doesn't resize when you go into conversation mode?

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It still stays off to the side, like a chat window.

Is that the intended effect?

What changes did you make? Maybe I missed them?

4. Lum the Mad

We made a special mode for interactions with NPCs where it's much more focused/cinematic. You should see it every time you talk to an NPC (though vendors that buy/sell things will not trigger this mode unless you actually talk to them)

5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Oh it zooms in, I like that...I mean the chat interface could be moved to center and more prominent....presentation would be better.

docdoom77 and smack like this.
  6. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

That part is good. It's the chat box itself. It's small. It's off to the side and its...... a chat box. It still doesn't feel like I'm interacting with an NPC ala Ultima 6 or Ultima 7. It feels like I'm in a yahoo chat, not engaging in a role-playing game.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  7. Lum the Mad

It's always going to be a chat box because we have to support free entry of text. You enter text through... a chat box.

(not saying we can't fix its placement/appearance/etc but core functionality still has to be there)

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  8. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I'm unsure how else to get across my point. I don't mean that in a snarky way. I mean, I just don't know how to illustrate what the problem is without using the term "chat box." I typed my responses in Ultima 6, but I NEVER felt like it was a chat box. It's not the best comparison, because Ultima 6 had a format that would never fly today. It might be down to appearance. It LOOKS like a messenger program, not the interface for a Role Playing game.

Here are some thoughts:

1) It should be center stage, maybe taking up the botton 1/4 or 1/3 of the screen during close-up NPC interaction.
    2) It could be borderless. With text that looks like it's floating on the screen, but always in the same spot. (Borders could exist, but be invisible)
    OR
    3) It could be on a parchment scroll. Cream background with dark brown lettering, curled and darkening toward the edges. Like a more modern version of the U6 interface

[​IMG]

rune_74, smack, Xandra7 and 1 other person like this.
  9. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Sorry forgot to add one thing:

4) the text shoud be large and friendly. When I read that text in the U6 interface, it's easy to read. I always feel like I'm squinting at a wall of tiny text in the current set-up.

KuBaTRiZeS and Lord Baldrith like this.
  10. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Couldn't you move the chat interface to the center by dragging it over and resizing the box to whatever size you'd like? I might be misunderstanding.

11. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

But you can't play the rest of the game that way as you need that real-estate during normal play. And re-sizing it before and after every conversation doesn't sound like much fun.

smack and Lord Andernut like this.
  12. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Ah, so the request is to move the chat window for NPC conversations or allow the ability to have a new chat window open up rather than a new tab. Just wanted to understand it :)

When the OP phrased it "when you enter chat" I didn't take it to mean when you engage an NPC in conversation and missed the request.

rune_74 and docdoom77 like this.
  13. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Yeah... I'm going to have to agree that I dont really much like the current interface. It's just the normal chat window for everything else, and if anything it's a bit jarring. I'd like a specific window come up with the NPC dialogue, and a free text entry maybe beside the npc or something... And still keep the npc text in the chat log of course.

Right now it is just very...jarring. Luckily we still have @Lum making awesome npc stuff in the interim... So I can ignore this until its refined :)

rune_74, KuBaTRiZeS and docdoom77 like this.
  14. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

@Lum suggestions for slight ease of use improvements on the current system.

Smaller prebuilt tabs at the top.

NPC chat

Party/ whisper /guild (the globals)

Combat self

Locsl Misc Emotes. (The locals/RPs)

Be able to pull a tab off (like google chrome) and have a second chat dialog open.

No unique tab opening for an NPC. Just lump it in with the NPC tab. There is not that much street chatter.

I would like to switch between tabs looking for the comversation I want out of the pre fab tabs I mention above. Opening and closing unique tabs is confusing and seemingly unnecessary.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Exactly, it should be:

A) easy to read.
    B) Only contain the conversation
    C) Be prominent.

If it isn't those things it doesn't matter what the NPC's say because people will scan over it and it will be wasted.

KuBaTRiZeS and docdoom77 like this.
  16. mike11

mike11 Avatar

+1 chat is basically awful still
    all I see is enemy attacks where I want to have chat!!
    "tabs" behavior is featureless and makes all the info hard to read.

change tabs into 'Filters' and let users place the chat filter types whereever they want - eg windowed see-through style

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.