New Chr's & Skill Building

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Time Lord, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek:~New Character Building Tests~

I'm about to demolish my homes, relinquish my lots and begin a new character again. So if you ever wanted to see my home and basement hotel in Wizards Rest and you're reading this, you're probably too late... ;)

Much has been said about skill building within our forums, and after taking it all in and my current character having achieved his investigations into the subjects "of everything"... I've decided to try some radical ideas about skill building in order to get ready for final wipe.

I'm not the know it all, or be it all in our game's mechanics and how best to go after building the character that you want, so I'd like some ideas about what anyone's plans may be when they begin their own character after final wipe. So, within these next few months we have left before final wipe, "it's now or never" for investigating new character building and how best to serve our individual needs.

o_O I can tell you that I'm not too keen currently on how our characters inter our world as far as chosen skills. I prefer a more hands on by choice build, as opposed to just choosing whatever path and having those skills impressed on my character. I'd like to be a bit more choosey about such matters as beginning skills.

This time I will be after a mostly non-magical swordsman who fights with swards in both hands.

I also don't know what will happen to all my things in the bank when I do this "self wipe"... o_O
    :rolleyes: One thing that I'm hoping to see, is that all my special backer armor and other equipment resets, because it's all in bad repair, the type of repair that repair kits don't fix... My Lord Marshal Helm has now become a 60/60 instead of it's original 100/100 ext..
    I have no doubt that my current $Gold will be wiped ;) But wipes are like that, and I do wish to start as I would when our final wipe is accomplished.

I would hold a yard sale for all my stuff... But I don't want to waist any ~Time~ with all of that and get right to my new character testing :confused: Sorry ;)

If anyone has any thoughts they'd like to share on the subject of new character building, please chime in :)
    As for me... I'll try and post anything interesting I find here on this thread...

Well, It's ~Time~ to get too it! :D
    "The Self Wipe":confused:
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Leelu and Sara Dreygon like this.
  2. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Ive done some char deletion and rebuilds before but its been a while, if i recall correctly everything in the BANK will still be there on new character.

Leelu, Ice Queen and Time Lord like this.
  3. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I've wiped several characters, put your stuff in the bank and give your gold to a friernd

4. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

That does work - I have held gold for someone who was wiping. If I see you in game (if you aren't already someone "new":eek:) I'd be glad to help out.

Leelu, Ice Queen and Time Lord like this.
  5. Womby

Womby Avatar

If you have a vendor, you can place a book in it for sale for the total gold in your inventory. Now buy that book. Your gold is safely in the bank.

Mishras, Fister Magee, Fringe and 7 others like this.
  6. Beli

Beli Avatar

@Time Lord . You do realize we are having a wipe the third week in April. If you want to play with this build till then so be it. Myself I am going to try something different at that wipe before the Final wipe at the end of July.

Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Great thanks to everyone! :D
    But I've always began as the game takes me in "as poor as I would be" and try and figure out from there the best method (or even exploit) of how to get the best gains from playtime.

My personal measurements and assessments right now have parameters...
    1) Start from scratch taking only more knowledge about the game with me.
    2) Bringing the character up to being able to stand toe to toe with a Bear Patriarch, as I found that level of fighting has shaped the character in many ways that continue all his life.
    3) It's all about getting that amount of points vs skill gains.

(The last time I even tried jumping off a cliff for an hour or two just to see if I could have better gains that way with Healing Touch... test...test...and test again ;))

Currently that's how I see how any character's best assessment...
    Unless I'm missing something... hmm... o_O...

Vaentorian, Moonshadow, Leelu and 2 others like this.
  8. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

@Time Lord I take my hat off to you! At this point I am so bored with grind/leveling I barely play the game. Starting over on your own just to do that is more work than I could handle. I am staying away from the game now for the most part as I am getting burned out. I didn't think this was going to be a grinding game just to get to a level that would allow you to play most of the game. I like questing, I really enjoy it. Right now that aspect is too limited to be immersive. I am glad it is getting warmer outside and I can be there instead of sitting here for long periods. Enjoy your remake I hope it works for what you want.

9. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Have you tried to actually repair your helm on a Blacksmithing crafting station? That would increase its durability from 60 to its original 100.

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Good Idea! :) I have to agree!
    But I'm usually after a more narrow skilled character. Now that doesn't mean that I will never do it, but with a very short time allowed to test our game, I use my playtime for my narrow minded goals :p

*Time Lord begins babbling*

:oops:~Speed Skilling~
    What you mention though, is at the core of what I'm testing out. If a character's exp pool is mostly expended into certain skills, then comes the main question of, "how fast would such a narrow skilled character gain further exp points back into their exp pool and would this cause a more slow, or fast gain of all those neglected needed skills?"
    It's sort of like, checking out an arrow of skills. Is it better for our skills to be a blunt "learning everything" style of gain, or is there a better way through concentrating the bulk of our exp pool into a narrow set of skills... and what skills would those skills be?"

During the ancient days of early Ultima Online, if you wanted to Grand Master any skill early, then there were certain possesses by which to get there... which then helped all other skills follow that skill's triumph. Some possesses were geared to make the player rich, while others broke their bank and still others managed to break even gold wise depending on the skills the player wished to gain and be best in.

The tests I do are similar in nature to what's described above, to find out what is possible and are any possibilities found worth while to achieve the goals.

What I'm finding thus far is nothing... because my character is stuck in an inescapable instance, as he's currently trapped in "Eastreach Gap" :(
    Though before he became trapped, "he was gaining quite well for the few hours he's been invested in".

Black Smithing? o_O Who has time for that? (most intelligent people lol)
    But getting ahead in certain skills fast... I like that :D!
    ~Time Lord~
    :p

11. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

I didn't take the time to read it all, but in a nut shell, you can repair any of your repairable gear with 0 skill. Goto a table use the tool required to craft that item and a repair kit. click repair. That increases your (MAX) duability so you 60/60 will go back to 61/100 then drop a repair kit on it to finish it off to 100/100.

LordBlackthorne and Time Lord like this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Maybe I'm still suffering from my UO mind... :confused: I'm always fearful about breaking things with less skill needed :p
    The UO mind is a very suffering psychosis o_O
    Thanks @Whyterose Flowers & @Insinious FizzleThorpe :)!
    ~Time Lord~
    :rolleyes:

13. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Np, at work so im skimming through stuff as time permits!

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

my attempt to play the game only doing business with other players was the most challenging believe it or not, yeah i could have cheated and had a friend give me a bunch of stuff but that wasn't the point, I only dealt in trades with honest merit. Not being able to sell a bunch of junk loot back to the npc's really changed the landscape of the game, I wish the dev's could give themselves this experience, I think it would really help them achieve the player based economy they seek.

15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Womby, Beli and Moonshadow like this.
  16. Acred

Acred Avatar

There is a bug newly affecting characters today that mostly makes it impossible to get to the Novian Overworld Map. The Attenwood is in and out of game and has posted that they are working on a fix.

Some modes (Friends Only) seem less affected than other, and entering the Hidden Vale Overworld Map and teleporting to friends does still work.

Time Lord, Womby and Moonshadow like this.
  17. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

I wouldnt delete my character, we have a full wipe next month.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~The Basic Fast Skill Template Test~:oops:

My main goal with this chr, was to crate a (mostly) non-magical skill set and combine swiftness integrated with the use of 2 swards. I also wanted to test the Fem chr to see what all the talk about the fem voice was all about (and I don't like the voice (.)) I did find that I was able to achieve my goals much faster with this new chr, mostly because I didn't get all the Gathering Skills I was using before. But I did include some Subterfuge this ~Time~ around.

After reaching the goal of being able to defeat a Bear Patriarch's consistently as before...
    Take a look :oops: and make any comment ...

Blades;
    Innate Skills;

Bladed Combat 92
    Blade Speed 50
    Blade Mastery 50
    Vital Points 68

Active Skills;
    Thrust 71
    Double Slash 68
    Riposte 70
    Rend 10 (un-used & locked)
    Whirling Blades 62

Light Armor;
    Innate Skills;

Swiftness 63
    Acrobatics 84

Active Skills;
    Dodge 46

Fire;
    Flame Fist 5 (un-used & locked)

Life;
    Healing Touch 77

Sun;
    Light 10 (locked)

Focus;
    Heightened Awareness 39 (locked)
    Train Intelligence 32
    Quick Swapping 20 (un-used & locked)
    Inner Calm 48

Subterfuge;
    Active Skills;

Distract 40

Innate Skills;
    Train Dexterity 44
    Armor Weak Points 54

Tactics;
    Active Skills;

Offhand Attack 72
    Parry 46

Innate Skills;
    Armor Preservation 52
    Weapon Preservation 51
    Train Strength 45
    Heavy Lifter 40
    Offhand Defense 54
    Offhand Power 53

Crafting;
    Gathering;

Field Dressing;
    Field Dressing Proficiency 86
    Survey Field Dressing 85 :cool: <---<<< I was using this as a sort of "reserve gas tank" to be unlearned if my exp point pool was seemingly dry... which did not occur during this test o_O Otherwise, "in my opinion" with Field Dressing, it's really quite pointless to have Survey Field Dressing in our game... Please let me know if I'm wrong on that o_O "What is this skill even doing even in Field Dressing?"... I mean, are we blind? :cool: "The thing to field dress is right there in front of you?" :confused:
    Swift Gathering - Field Dressing 85
    Meticulous Collection - Field Dressing 77

Total Points; Combat = 1516... Gathering = 333
    :rolleyes: These total amounts I believe are the most important to watch within the subject of achieving training goals quickly. Though they are an estimate, when bringing the chr up to the standard of taking a Bear Patriarch, they do reflect what level of total skills it takes to kill them consistently.... which I will later use when beginning my next new chr... "which is later today" ;)

Same goals, yet without Survey Field Dressing.
    I would however like to ask here, "did my chr actually need Train Intelligence?" o_O There's not much this chr does with it... is there?

*note*
    I trained this chr mostly naked without armor, at first using the Fem Riding Outfit (which gave the ability of using active light armor cards, yet with no protection). I did however switch to full leather and heavy helm when I was coming close to defeating the Bear Patriarch.

:eek: "Whatcha' Tink Bout Au' Dat?" :confused:
    Any Comments Very Welcomed ;)!

Acred likes this.
  19. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

The only thing that I can think of is a better chance to find Suet & Carapace & things like that on the object. But I don't know if that is what it is or what it is for that matter

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Curt

Curt Avatar

Maybe that light armour skill that increase attack speed could be useful in Time Lords build but that depends on how big part autoattack is.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.