New Emote Bar

Discussion in 'Player Test Environment (QA Server) Feedback' started by Anpu, Dec 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Was trying this out today on qa. So far working great. This window opens by default vertical. Is there some way to change it to horizontal? I wasn't able to find any way to do that (or I missed something).

2. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

It's vertical only

3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Can you add an option so that it can be placed Horizontal?

Like from the release notes (Note: This image has the emotes in the non-combat bar):
    [​IMG]

4. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

So you can then have the 10 mostused emotes on the additional bar - and if you need one of the less used, you would still use "O" and the already existing vertical emorebar with all of them?

5. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

@DavidDC
    Some additional feedback on the emote bar (I know the full implementation may not be finished, and that some of the suggestions below may already be planned. But I thought I would mention them just in case).

Suggestions:
    1. The areas where you can click and drag the bar (the edges) are rather small. I suggest having a slightly thicker border at one of the short ends of the bar, so it would be easier to "grab" it with the mouse.
    2. As mentioned by Anpu, it would be very nice to have the option for either a horizontal or vertical emote bar.
    3. In the options > controls section, the name of the hot key is "Toggle show emote window". I think the word "show" can be removed. Also, should the term "hotbar" be used instead of "window"? (note: the combat and noncombat bars are called "hotbar" in the interface options). So, perhaps this hotkey should be named "Toggle emote window" or "toggle emote hotbar".
    4. Methods to activate the Emote bar: for now, I was able to activate the emote bar using the check box in the "Options > Interface > hotbar" window, or by assigning a hot key in the "options > controls" window. I think it would be nice to also have the options shown below:
      • Selection from the Window list - in this case it may be nice to rename "emotes" to "emote list", and add the option for "emote hotbar".
        [​IMG]
      • Add a check box to the "emotes" window. Since we will populate the emote bar by dragging from the emote list, it would be very convenient to open the bar directly from the list. If this option is added, then perhaps suggestion above ( adding the emote bar to the window list) would be less useful.
        [​IMG]
    Positive Feedback
    1. I like the fact that the emote bar is very responsive, such that when I am performing one emote, i can interrupt the emote I am performing and immediately start another emote.
    2. Having an assignable hotkey for the emote bar is great.
    Wishlist for Emote bar and Emote List
    1. Ability to sequence several emotes and play them as a single sequence.
    2. A function to repeat any single emote or a sequence of emotes indefinitely.
    3. Indicate which emotes require an item to be equipped - one way to do this is place an asterisks at the end of the emote name. For example:
      [​IMG]
    4. Sorting & categorizing of emotes - as it stands now, I often cannot recall the name of an emote, but I know the action I want to display. I have to keep clicking emotes to find the one I want. I suggest an additional category (called "type of emote") in the emote window. Then we could sort by emote name or by emote type. This would make it far easier to find an emote.
      Example emote types could be:
      • Dance - zombie, Mosh, chicken, etc.
      • Fitness/yoga - jumping jack, push up, balancing stick, tai chi, flex, etc.
      • Facial Expressions - eyeroll, smile, frown, etc.
      • Toss - all the emotes that toss leaves, flowers, etc
      • Breath - all breath emotes: breath fire, breath spiders, etc.
      • Juggle - all juggle emotes.
      • Magic - bird from hat, mouth coil, etc.
      • Music/Theater - sing, conduct, Mime emotes, etc.
      • Greet/Goodbye - wave, tip hat, etc.
      • Salute - darkstarr salute, love salute, etc.
      • Opinion/Sentiment - Cheer, clap, boo, smells bad, toast, yes, no, shake head, shake fist, laugh, belly laugh, etc.
      • Clean - rake, sweep, etc.
      • Puke/Vomit - all the puke emotes
      • Physical interaction- hug, spank, hold hands, flirt, face slap, kiss
      • Direct - come here, point, etc.
      • Read/Write - read book, write book

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  6. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Etc. being Timber tossing if you have timber in your inventory and are wearing a Kilt?

7. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

not sure to understand what you mean? add a timber tossing emote?

ConjurerDragon likes this.
  8. DavidDC

While i like all your suggestion, this is alot of work you are asking. :p
    Emote bar was pretty much in its final state in my thoughts. I can add horizontal bar choice and emote checkbox on the Emotes windows and also fix the renaming for now sense it doesnt make sense what i wrote (my frenglish kicked in that one!).
    But i'm not sure this will get in this release as i'm trying to get other stuff in and fixed for this super short release, i'll still try.

For the rest, sequential emotings, emote repeating, category, showing what item is needed etc, that would imply alot more work under the hood. I wont plan this unless its gonna be really asked from player as i dont see that much use for this features myself. Would probably be cool to make some kind of animation and all but again, wouldnt be used by many.

Thanks for the feedback!

majoria70 and Anpu like this.
  9. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

merci for considering ces suggestions (that is some Frenglish from me :D).
    I figured the wishlist items would probably require too much work, but thanks for reading all of them!
    If someone wanted to do a lua script to sequence emotes and repeat emotes, are there commands in the SOTA lua that would allow that?

We appreciate your hard work :thumbs up:

10. Toular

Toular Avatar

"sequential emotings, emote repeating" is something that could pretty easily done in Lua. If there was an emote hook in Lua. Or is there already? I seem to remember something about it being added...

There is "ShroudPlayEmote". That in itself is not quite enough for sequential or repeating.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@DavidDC, while we're on the subject of emotes, can you please make FloatMeditate continuous?

12. DavidDC

Yes we can effectivly play emote from lua so any programming in lua to make sequence etc would work!

Tirrag and Anpu like this.
  13. DavidDC

Hmm i can take a look but i'm not sure i will be able to do that depending of the animation itself. Will see!

Tirrag and Anpu like this.
  14. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

just some thoughts, i think it would be nice to expand the Lua emote capabilities a little more. currently there is a 2 second delay between playing emotes, which with the proposed below i think may be able to be removed since emotes can be stopped immediately today by moving, etc. functionality right now allows us to get an available emote list and and to play an emote. some possible new lua functions:

ShroudStopEmote - stops a playing emote
    ShroudOnPlayEmote - event fired when an emote starts to play either from lua or from the UI, can call ShroudStopEmote inside of this event to stop the emote immediately.
    ShroudOnStopEmote - event fired when an emote stops playing, allowing the play of the next emote

hopefully these capabilities would allow any kind of chaining of emotes.

DavidDC, Anpu, Rinaldi and 1 other person like this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm in QA. How do you access the emote bar please? Its not jumping out at me how to do it. I will check settings but that would be too much of a hiding place imo. On the selector window would make sense well to me ;)

Anpu likes this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ok never mind. It is in settings under interface. My feedback still stands though. Now to make a potions, agriculture, and mount bar so we are not so congested in our non-combat bar. ;) Thanks for the good work so far. Now I will test it out ;)

Edited to say non-combat bar

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
  17. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Thank you for adding a horizontal option! Works great!

ConjurerDragon likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Suggestion: make it so that we can put fishing and agriculture stuff on the emote bar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.