Newbie Questions and Issues

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Thelon, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thelon

Thelon Avatar

First, Nene's Amulet. I had a journal entry to give it to a Lord, but I got a conversation option with the child she rescued to give it to her. Now the quest is stuck, I can't complete it and I can't get the amulet back?

Second, I'm supposed to go to Solace Bridge, but I can't find it on the map anywhere. I have searched all around Resolute, have looked at the map on SotAwiki (searching, btw, just seems to take me back to the zoomed out map), and have wandered around Novia, to no avail. (I did finally locate Harvest, though.)

Third, I'm floundering a little. I don't have great amounts of time to play in one sitting. I boot up, log in, fight my way out of the siege around Resolute, run into some bandits on the road, get distracted harvesting, run into more bandits, and go back to Resolute to drop off all the raw materials. Time's up. "Go to Harvest and hire a boat" for a quest isn't giving me the same sense of purpose that "expose the geistesser's pawn and save the refugees" did. thoughts or ideas? I've got cotton and beetles and pine and gold and copper filling up my bank, but no idea what they're worth - should I bother crafting, for example, or sell to a merchant, or just ignore and go questing, etc...

2. Cock of the North

Cock of the North Avatar

If you are getting the boat to Estgard, you want to spend your time killing bandits on the way anyway. Or else this would just be a different type of thread about how hard the next part of that quest is.

It definitely is difficult to get used to what prices should be I agree with that though.

3. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I would use /bug and copy/paste the info so they can fix the quest so it auto closes, which it should.

Here is the map for the game - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/

Solace Bridge is in the SE part of the map, the lunar rifts can take you there based on the schedule.

They are in the beginning areas like Solace Bridge, Blood River, Highvale and other cities also.

http://bmcguild.enjin.com/priceguide

Here is the BMC price guide for resources - shop around for sell orders on the player vendors.

4. Thelon

Thelon Avatar

What should I be crafting, or should I bother? There I don't know where the troll went - that post is deleted - but s/he had a good point: there are players here who have been playing for 4 years. Who needs a copper dagger? There don't appear to be wield limits (i.e. "must be level 40 to use iron weapons") so why buy my lousy copper weapon? Am I just crafting to level up a skill to craft better stuff to level up... just to sell it to an NPC vendor, who might have paid more for the raw materials?

I can see the value in crafting my own healing and focus potions. (BTW, it occurs to me that I should say "focussed on heavy armor, earth, magic swords") But so far nothing I can craft compares to my Founder's gear (let alone the "+6 starting gear" Grumpie Weinie gifted me), and I expect that buying masterworked/enchanted gear is going to be easier than acquiring those skills? Does anyone even need the copper I'm mining?

With my limited time - but $120 kickstarter investment - I want to make sure I'm using my time wisely. I'm willing to "grind" a little now to have a better experience in the near future, but I definitely want to enjoy my time with the game, and not get lost down a dead-end rabbit hole. Is there light at the end of this tunnel? (Is that enough metaphors?)

5. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Hi, Thelon! People who played for extended time have buncha GMed skills, they pretty much have maxed all their crafting skills and have +11 and up equipment, as well as their own vendors selling things. If you like to craft, just start small and enjoy yourself. You won't to be able to make much profit from crafting at this point, by playing casually and alone. Maybe joining a guild and doing some side tasks for them, like refining or something, that they would pay you for. Team up with them, enjoy the company. With casual play though, I don't know, SoTA is reaaaaaly grindy, it will take a long time to achieve something playing casually. Crafters do need raw materials, like ores and some wood, so those would sell well, if you price them well and advertise.

Considering how long you'll have to gather resources and how many of them is required to just craft a single piece of equipment, will take a while to train your own crafting skills to the point, where you can craft something that is valued on the vendors.

I switched to offline game because of my casual play stile. They will adjust mechanics in offline game soon, will be a lot more fun to play casually. But yeah... find something in game to enjoy yourself. Do different things, don't get caught up on grinding, that may kill your interest. Do some of this, some of that, similar to how you already playing. Break up the routine and it's gonna be fun. If you want to play online only, you probably want to switch to friend mode or single player online, for gathering resources especially, this way, you won't have to contest with others over the already rare gathering nodes.

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Welcome Thelon. I'm here to help. :)

First, never sell copper or other ores to NPCs. If you're still in Resolute, I'll be reloading the S Mart Factorium with buy orders that are much higher today. There are also buy orders (meaning push the SELL tab on a player vendor) in Soryn Fields and in the lots in front of the cooking store in Resolute.

But if you've finished the outskirts and have gotten the Harvest quest, it's time to head to the other Outskirts and start the other two storylines. At the moment (they will be fixing this) the game does not communicate to you that there are 3 different storylines, and they should all be being played at roughly the same time. So hope the lunar rift in Highvale (here's a handy clock) to either Blood River or Solace Bridge. Do all that stuff, get on the main quest and continue it for a bit, then go to the third one and get started there.

Copper: very few people need a copper dagger. We do, however, need tons of copper. There are also quite a bit of other things that people do need, and can make you a profit. Front Clasp Cloaks, for instance, often go for 1000g on public vendors.

I'll have the factory opened again later today, if you're in a crafting mood swing by (if you're still near Resolute) and you can make your copper into ingots and then sell them to Ned, the factory accountant. That will get you some XP and turn your copper into gold. There is also a system there so you can use my materials to do it as well. Be sure to read the "how to" on the bulletin board out front.

And don't worry, we all feel a bit confused and lost sometimes in Shroud. That comes with the huge amount of potential ways you could be spending your time. My advice is make sure you're having fun, and when the fun wears off, go do something else on your next play session.

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That mostly depends on what you want to do in the game. As others have stated, no, there's not much use for a copper dagger unless you want to use it yourself. Except perhaps to another new user, as it's likely better than anything they might find. There's not a lot of money to be made on low-end items.

If you wish to be a crafter and make/sell items, then go ahead and craft away. I would recommend seeking out an Obsidian merchant and getting a Potion of Guidance first, as this will help you level your skills faster, and thus cost you less in time and materials.

If you want to make items just for yourself, then be aware it takes a lot of work and materials (less if you purchase an Obsidian Potion of Guidance first) to level your skills really high. There are plenty of very high level crafters in the game, so unless it's something you enjoy doing, you can save a lot of time and money by purchasing items from others. Admittedly, it's a little tough to get affordable items early, so it may still benefit you to get/learn the recipes for basic gear. It won't be great as crafted gear goes, but it will be far better than what you can find adventuring.

It's also important to note that the quality in items comes from Masterworking and Enchanting- regardless of skill, a base sword or piece of armor isn't any better with a higher skill than it is at skill level 1. (The execption to that is there is a ~25% chance each crafted item will be "Exceptional" which gives it increased durability and a"+1" in it's name. But otherwise, it's stats will be identical to a non-exceptional item.) So crafting higher end gear requires increasing your base crafting skill, then the masterworking/enchanting skills, then the gear-specific masterworking/enchanting skills.

As you can see, it's a huge time/money sink, so unless you enjoy doing it (which many, myself included, do) go kill stuff and buy things instead. :)

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Avatar

Hi @Thelon,

If you need a roof and vendors to sell your mats, do drop by Soryn Fields, south of Resolute. At least come see if you like the place. The town is in need of crafters to make stuff to sell to new players who ventures out of highvale outskirts. :)

Take your time and see what works for you. Enjoy the lower tier scenes. Too often, players grind up too fast and pass up exploring these places.

Nick Cold.

9. Thelon

Thelon Avatar

I will stop by S Mart and Sorryn Fields on my next foray into SotA. And I'll take the advice to start the other quest lines - I had no idea I should be doing three lines at once! Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback!

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

and consider what's important to you? This game offers many different things. If to you it is all about character progression and that is only why you are here then that is one thing. You can level over time and taste the rest of the game also. This game is not one dimensional or all about one thing. It has gone in many directions due to the variety of players providing feedback here since 2013.

For example we do have a music system which is a lot of fun, well to me more than fun I find it amazing. I actually do all aspects of the game pretty much. I'm not much into pvp though but today we were killing reapers, yesterday we were doing some boss kills in a group and last night up to 8 players were in our group syncing a song that had that many parts to play.

No one can speak for you to what is fun for you and if in your limited time you just want to try to beat this game and move on that is up to you. Although I don't think there is really an end game since this game will have 5 episodes over the next years with monthly releases also. I had plans when kickstarting it in 2013 to be here for many years. The devs will keep adding content and items every month on the last Thursday of the month. We will be getting a boating system, mounts, treasure hunting, a more enhanced fishing and agriculture system and much more over the course of development. So anyway I say in answer to your question it totally depends on what you want to get out of this game. Right now if you're so new perhaps you don't know all that it offers or you just may want to use it for one thing and that is character progress in your limited play time. I am Majoria in game if I can ever help. *cheers*

I am not sure this link will come through for you but after our boss kills here is what some of us did next.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/250106746

It was such an amazing experience doing an 8 part song in a group. *sighs*
    Welcome to the game.
    @Thelon

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Jaesun likes this.
  11. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

hi Thelon

take your time to develop your charter along the storyline quests and do not be in a hurry to get to the end and as your charter develops it gets more interesting.
    be what you want to be but you will find it hard to do all things at the same time.

welcome to the world of Novia
    if you need help please contact me and I will help you in the game I have created videos that can be found on youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/skeggymedia and I stream on Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/skeggy_media and happy adventuring in this World full of Adventure. in the ingame chat box you can send me a friend request by typing /friend skeggy media I accept all friends requests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.