Newbie questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bonulino, Nov 12, 2023.

1. Bonulino

Bonulino Avatar

I have been playing for about a week and have some questions:

• I am learning to craft many of the consumables I use. Most of the materials I can get by salvaging. There are others that I seem to have to buy. Is it possible to scavenge chunks of coal, wax and creosote?
    • When I attempted to send a piece of mail, I was instructed to write the message on a piece of paper, then drop it into the mail I was trying to send. Where do I find paper?
    • Things like filled flasks say they can be salvaged at blacksmithing station to receive various materials. So far, I have had no luck salvaging them at blacksmithing stations. I have had success salvaging resources from other things. What am I doing wrong?
    • Is there somewhere in the Journal that I can record my own notes about the quests I have been given? \
    Okay, folks, Thx for helping me out on this. :D

FrostII, Sentinel2 and that_shawn_guy like this.
  2. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

There are a few places you can mine coal but it is generally no worth it for the amounts you use in crafting. Crafting fuels including coal, wax and creosote are used as a gold sink in the game.

Sheets of blank paper can be purchased from booksellers in certain NPC towns. I know there is one in owls head and one in ardoris and in at least one of the britanny towns.

Yes most glassware can be salvaged at the blacksmithing table, this is the primary source of quartz. Hard to know what is going wrong without seeing it but try again with a few different types of glassware (that can be acquired easily in many scenes, just know if the curser is red then it is considered stealing and if green it is not)

No we can't write in the journal. Would be kind of nice.

FrostII likes this.
  3. Segalleon2

Segalleon2 Avatar

Depending on the situation, most people get by using the subject line to enter their message. The character max is quite long.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome @Bonulino. If something can be salvaged it will tell you for example I had a round flask in my inventory and it said it could be salvaged at a blacksmithing table. You just drag the item to the table it mentions and the salvage key should highlight. You then click on that to salvage. Double check if you need to train salvage with the crafting trainer but if not perhaps your salvage is too low. Try spending some time salvaging if so and raise it a little.

For sending mail you can also send a note to someone in the subject line without using a piece of paper. Then just click send. You can drag items to where it says drag and drop here. If you get overloaded while out hunting or whatever jump into a player owned town if you pass one. There should be a mailbox in most when you enter (hopefully) Wizards Rest definitely does have one at the entrance of town.

The journal was finally upgraded and is so much better than it used to be. You can click on J to see what quests you have and filter by "Active" "Completed" or "Journal Entries". See those options to click on in the upper left of your journal.

Also If you don't know. Make sure you get your free Row Deed to give yourself a place to put all the stuff you find. You can organize and decorate everything. You have to do all quests you receive from camp leader Captain Kinsey at Solace Bridge Outskirts. That's where I did them. Just have your deed in your inventory and go to a player owned town of your choice and try clicking on the stones or sign to claim a lot. Many towns don't require you to interact with anyone to claim a lot. For example in Wizards Rest behind Owlshead on the Hidden Vale map all available lots are set to claimable by anyone with no deco rules or requirements. You will have taxes on the free deed you get but just take the test at the oracle every day to get free gold and xp daily to help with your taxes.

Now you may already know this but just in case it helps. Let us know if you have questions and you can ask in the in-game universal chat but depending on whose around you may have to ask a few times.

Anyway have a great time. There are lots of things to do in this game depending on what you like to do.

5. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

It's mostly a lack of consistency, some scenes are worse than others, newer scenes are generally better. Seeing a cabinet full of glassware and jars and only having half of them be salvageable is a bit of a headscratch moment for a new player.