Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Nightvision ?

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by StrangerDiamond, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I find myself often frustrated with getting lost in the dark, I really appreciate the effort put into ambiances and getting all dark... but in certain places its really hard just to get anywhere.

I took nightvision from moon to attempt to alleviate the problem, but the night vision is even worse...

no kidding, with night vision I don't seem to see enemies better, nor in front of me, in fact I don't even use it anymore.

Also my items light effects seem to lose their powers when I enter night vision, shouldn't they help ?

Thanks

Quenton, Duke Raas and Moonshadow like this.
  2. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Personally I find the night vision to work very well. I use it all the time to find ore nodes in the dark of the shard-falls.

3. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Try to activate or deactivate Tonemapping in the Video options.

4. Kether

Kether Avatar

For me, nightvision is only usefull when in complete darkness, and then a lot less useful than light spell. In twilight or semi-darkness environments, night vision makes things even more difficult to see than with the naked eye.

I'm not sure how it works, but it creates a lot of shadows that make it very fiddicult to see. In my opinion, the spell should create a light source in front of the avatar invisible to others (like real nightvision glasses do, creating an infrared light). That way you'd be able to properly see what you have in front of you, instead of shadows being accentuated.

Also, as a secondary issue, I'd increase the radius of the "black borders" effect a bit. One thing is to have the corners obscured but in practice I feel like a was looking through a very tiny hole and I'm incapable of seeing anything at the sides of my character, only in front of him (and badly)

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I noticed it works better during the sunset... its night vision it should increase in effectiveness as night sets in. I got rid of the skill it was really not useful even with tone mapping off which made all graphics really bad looking.

Also it would be nice to know when a skill "like summon will-o" is not implemented yet, with a clear icon cause I bought tons of reagents for the spell only to realise I could not cast it !

I don't have much money, so it was a real pain.

6. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I only tried nightvision when it was first implemented and it was glitchy back then - it would stop working all of a sudden when you did something. Haven't gotten over the trauma from that yet:rolleyes: so I'm still sticking to my light spells.

But for the short time I was using it, I did find it to be fairly useful. It was kind of like having night vision goggles on and everything was visible in monotone for a larger range than when I used the light spell. I could see a lot farther, enemies clearer and nodes were fairly visible.

Ravenclaw [BEAR] likes this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Ok ! now we're talking... the light effects for low res was fixed while I was playing ?!

This is amazing... I'm thinking about reinviting my friends to play now...

I really notice the care put into each feedback everyday, this makes me a happy pledger :)

8. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

The first issue with nightvision is that you need to be able to dismiss it (probably by clicking on the buff icon).

Beyond that, there are some things night vision shouldn't be turning incandescent green, like other player's names.

I like that they rushed this ability into the game, but it needs fine tuning so that using it feels like a very playable experience - at the moment it feels like night vision hampers you quite a lot, and that can't be what was intended.

majoria70 likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Quenton you should bug report it. You mentioned interesting aspects to the skill. The devs have such a long list that it helps to tell them, well if you didn't already that is ;)

10. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I think the fact that the whole skill is off-kilter warrants feedback rather than a bug report?

I was under the impression the skill was working "as intended" for the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.