NO MORE INT, STR, DEX INNATES!

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Poor game design, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

We could remove ALL innates for INT, STR, and DEX.

There's a better way to do this. A much better way!

We could remodel the spells and skills (including crafting) to work more like the attunement system by tying out all skills and spells to INT, STR, and DEX.

What this means is that instead of just blindly pumping up an innate skill like STR by turning off everything else. You would now have to train up STR by individually leveling skills and spells that were attune to that attribute.

Right now it works "kind of" like that. But players are able to isolate the attribute to build it up super quick. This would change with the proposed system above.

ALSO, there would be skills that train two or three attributes at a time. OR there may be skills that would decrease (opposite attunement) the other attributes. So for example, using a Blacksmith Hammer might make you super strong faster than any other skill or spell in the game! But it also might be a drag on your INT and DEX, actually lowering those! Likewise, spells probably wouldn't raise your STR or your DEX, and might actually reduce them because in theory you're studying how those spells work and you're using your mind.

So people that are super hybrid players and just have everything that is the "most powerful" would also have to really manage their attributes. Now people would have to really "just play" instead of trying to max out STR, INT, and DEX.

@Chris: Please consider.

2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    well I like it. Good Post.

3. Noric

Noric Avatar

Not sure i like the exact system, but i could see something along those lines working out pretty well. We need more build constraints in this game...

4. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

You d0n't need a strength increase innate in a use based system anyway. Simply running over encumbered should increase strength.:)

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Had me up until lowering stats. Which I am entirely opposed to. Like any skill.. studying one doesn't just lower another. If it did.. all body builders would be absolute morons. I see no compelling reason to turn that into a game mechanic. If I'm a knight and I want to train my int, I shouldn't have to worry about avoiding skills in order to min/max my stat progression.

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Ya I hate min max, thats why I like different tree progression. Allow us to specialize. :)

Ice Queen, Lord Baldrith and smack like this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The way I see it.. the two ideas in the OP contradict each other somewhat. If the idea is to get away from mix/max.. either directly or indirectly.. Well I'm not sure the initial idea really does anything but remove what some might argue is a mechanical loop hole for min/maxing. But if all stats can't progress equally then players are just going to start looking for tricks and the best ways to level up stats, more so than otherwise.

8. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

blacksmithing is more of a trial of dexterity than it is in brute strength... so i'd expect smithing of any kind (even cold forge) to raise dex faster than str, but also raise str.

real world observation:
    oddly enough, of the smiths (modern, recreationist, other) i've met over the years, they tend to be the smartest folks i also meet. most of them are engineers and several also have doctorates..*chuckle*

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Just out of curiosity have you met Tinker Pearce?

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  10. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

sadly not, he wasn't at any of the events i'd been to. had been hoping to meet him one day so i could get a custom job from him, i absolutely love his work.
    my ex father in law just became the smith for a group who attends gulf wars though.. got a few shinies from him over the years. :) still looking for a decent puukko combo thats actually worth the price..

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I totally want a Tinker blade! When I was still with the Seattle Knights he'd occasionally come in and let us play with one or two new ones. They're SOOO nice.

Ok Sorry Drocis.. back on subject. :)

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

I totally agree with this. But while they're min/maxing they now have to consider a broader path to success, which in this system means using more skill points than they currently do to get "super powerful". My assumption is that you can't just GM a few skills and get to 100 STR. That you're going to have to spread that out A LOT over A LOT of skills, and that's the difference because you can no longer have a 100 STR, 100 DEX, and 100 INT since many of the skills might be the opposite attribute attunement.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok so what you're thinking is basically controlled, limited growth with a counter balances. As opposed to what we have now which is unlimited growth to max. Since the current system only requires you to use a skill but does not require that skill itself to improve. Though I think diminishing returns may well keep stats from completely maxing out for a very long time.. once everything is balanced.

14. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

I like the idea of limited grow for Int, Dex and Str. But why stop there? There are several other innates that could be tied to skills as well. It will really help to shift focus from levelling innates instead of the skills themselves. As it is now, i have around 20+ innates at a 40+ skill level. I leveled less then half of that amount actual skills that i can use in some way. That i think is a problem.

What i would love to see i more variation in builds and limiting the growth of int, dex and str, might help with that. The game itself may be build in unity, that doesn't mean that everyone has to run the same build to play effectively!

15. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Diminishing return might help somewhat yes. But wasn't there also some talk over being able to "lock" a few skills so that they wouldn't be affected by it?

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Only from me that I'm aware of. Chris has resisted being able to lock skills. And the idea wasn't to avoid diminishing returns but decay.

17. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Oops, sorry, i got some things mixed up :oops:

18. Drocis the Devious

Pick Pockets. :)

Use skills in the subterfuge tree. I think shooting a bow is up there too.

Numa and Budner like this.
  19. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

The easy way is just to have the skill activated and train no other innates. Even with a few extra innates being trained it goes up pretty fast on the early levels though.

Noric and Budner like this.
  20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Combat, it goes up the same as any innate with no skill in particular giving it any extra boost.

Budner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.