Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

No motivation for crafting w/o a house

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by Caliya, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

An interesting thread, but it seems that any old excuse is being used to try and bash the design of limited housing.

Crafting and lack of market to sell items due to lack of housing.......that's a new one on me. All I would say is that I would be more concerned by the fact that anyone can craft anyway.

2. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

My main point wasn't to complain, it was to point out - I was completely unmotivated to craft, and would have been labeled lazy. But once I got a house, I actually had more convenience - but mostly, I was motivated to start crafting because I really wanted to make my own furnishings.

There's no real point to making furnishings if a person doesn't own a house. Can you imagine what they would think about making expensive furniture only for the wealthy land owners? How long do you think that would last, or would it even really happen?

One can say, oh, let's make woodworking attractive to those who want to make weapons. How many weapons do you really need to make if you don't have a house and vendor at your own house?

it goes pretty far in thought to see what a homeless person will be faced with. I'm looking at this purely from the perspective of a company who should be wanting to make the game highly attractive to everyone, and make a lot of money to continue game development. My purpose is not to tear down the game, but think about ways we should help, encourage, and mostly inspire people to want to buy and play it.

FrostII and Kuno Brauer like this.
  3. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

You and I have been around the block more times than we can count on these topics. The only one bashing here seems to be you.

I have no desire to bash the game, I invested money and own a house, and I want the game to succeed. Talking from my own perspective, giving feedback to the game developers, should help them see what motivates a person to even play the game at all. If I was a developer, I'd sure want to know what people do and don't like, what works or doesn't work.

FrostII and Kaisa like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

There is a real point to crafting housing decor even if you don't own a house. Sell the items to those that do since they'll want to furnish it while they go adventuring. Not all homeowners like to craft. Most just like to hoard. :)

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Limited housing is pretty much what funded the game, public housing for all would need to have some serious limitations for it to even be considered.

6. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

The question is: Will the "single player online" crowd be enough to maintain the demand of crafted decorations? My bet is that they will not, but maybe i am wrong.

Caliya likes this.
  7. Amethyst

Amethyst Avatar

I agree with you. Compared to last year's releases, crafting now sucks big-time compared to what we used to get. This is part of the software-building process. It is harder for us as players because we are not getting paid to deal with the constant balance issues, etc. So I would like to thank you, Caliya, for venting steam for all of us. If it bothers SOTA then we can make sure we only do it at Dev+ level and above. Between the suggestions of us and SOTA we will someday have a great game. Until then we sometimes we have to say, "Ugh! Are you kidding me! We had something great. Why did you mess it up?"

At the time of this release it appears that killing skeletons, and just plain killing, is the best way to make money. Killl! Kill! Kill! Did I, Lady Amethyst, a lover of all things good, just say that? Yes, I did!

Beli Mawr, FrostII and Caliya like this.
  8. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well for housing decorating crafting I see your point. But crafting anything else homes really have nothing to do with it. I haven't grabbed a lot yet, the only thing that's stopped me from crafting is the crafting system as is doesn't make sense.

Caliya likes this.
  9. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I don't plan to do much crafting until it's further along, right now it's just annoying for me, lol. Right now there are far too few nodes to gather, and a lot (not all) of the crafting seems to take far too many materials to make something. I must admit also, I'm not a fan of grinding for gathering mats and crafting in any alpha, because it will always be wiped and things are always changing, but I have tried some crafting out. It would feel too much like a grind for me at the moment, so I patiently wait until it's better and in a more complete state before I dive in and waste some time on it. :)

FrostII, Xandra7, Caliya and 2 others like this.
  10. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

this makes absolutely no sense to me.

Themo Lock and E n v y like this.
  11. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Regarding the cost of housing: I threw out an off-the-cuff comment in the newscast this week, maybe it's worth repeating.

I totally get and respect that many people may be pushing it to afford the $45 to get into the game. That's fair, and no-one can expect any more than someone can afford. That said:

If you buy a game from a retail shop, it might be $50 or so.
    A subscription based game could cost you $15 per month. OR $180 per year.
    If you buy another standalone game next year, another $50 or so. And so on.
    Shroud is projected to run for FIVE installments. FIVE years of quality quest based gameplay. Plus an indeterminate amount after that - people are already loving just the "sandbox" experience - just getting together, hanging out, partying etc. That could go on forever!

If you are able to invest $275 straight up (either directly or monthly payments) you get a TAX FREE row house, for the life of the game. Not only that, you have PAID for all five episodes of the game. For five years of stellar entertainment and absorption - that sounds like a good deal to me.

I think the devs have done all they can to help as many as possible to get into housing. And as I said I do respect and regret that many may not be able to come at that amount straight away. But if it might be possible for you I certainly recommend thinking about it. A house is a benefit for many reasons - not least, being able to quickly zone home at the end of a long day's adventuring.

12. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I agree with you Asclepius. I'd like to encourage people to invest and get a house too. It's made a difference for me personally.

For anyone reading this, you might think the rich and poor system is not something you want to invest. Trust me when I say (and there are others who can verify this), I debated long and hard in the forums about never wanting to buy a house because I disliked the system that much. I don't know what turned around my thinking, but now that I invested in a tax-free property, the game has new meaning to me.

The only thing is, I think about longevity (it's something I do with just about everything - whether it's a car or piece of furniture, or a game). To make the game more enjoyable, people should be able to take full, complete advantage of the systems in the game - especially those systems that cost a lot of money to develop, such as housing and functional items (tools for gathering).

The way it's set up now, even though just about everyone who wants one will get a house, this is not in the current design. They have said many times, RG himself, that housing will be limited. There are lots of people who don't want a house. They won't want to exercise every feature in the game. But there are lots of people who will want to, and not be able to.

If they can't offer a full featured game that's accessible to people, they can't expect people to stick around for very long. That's just my take on it. So I'd like to encourage the dev team to think in terms of what is going to keep players involved and coming back for years to come. A housing shortage probably adds competitiveness and a goal to achieve, but if that goal will be unachievable for years (because of the housing limitations), people will burn out on that. I'm all for a purposeful housing shortage. What I'm not for is limiting it so much that the majority of people will never own a house.

Kaisa likes this.
  13. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

My main point wasn't to complain, it was to point out - I was completely unmotivated to craft, and would have been labeled lazy. But once I got a house, I actually had more convenience - but mostly, I was motivated to start crafting because I really wanted to make my own furnishings.

public vendor for chests

then, i decided to only use the houses for zones, since, why would i bother decorating a house that will probably get wiped anyway?

and even that --- i dont need extra storage yet... so i spent 60k to zone to solace bridge area to zone to owl's head, then, a house in ardoris, so i can use the boats. lol. ggwp

14. wdboyd

wdboyd Avatar

Salutations,

I am not interested in owning any housing. I am not interested in crafting anything. I want to explore and aggressively adventure. Is SOTA an adventure game or a crafting and property management game?

Will I (players) be 'forced' to craft in order to obtain armor and weapons or will we be able to obtain said items during exploration in npc shops or from crafting player characters? If it is the forced route... I will not be playing the multiplayer game.

Will it be possible, as a anti-social brigand, to break into player houses (areas), rampage and destroy their patiently and wonderfully crafted chairs and such within? If so, that could prove fun. If not, SOTA will be a wimp of a game and I will not be playing in multiplay.

No doubt there will be many readers shocked and appalled at my assertions. These same people will be pleased that I won't be playing. Fine, I couldn't stomach living (participating) in such a boring cyber world anyway.

Finally, I did pledge towards the development of SOTA as an old Ultima series game player... I just don't like the direction the developers have gone. I truly wince when I read a lot of the soppy and homebody post on this sight.

One can't pledge for a special shield, armor or weapons but there are plenty of houses, hoes, sickles, pets and wood carving tools. Pathetic. Truly pathetic. My rants almost over.

I just hope the single player game is better. From what I recently read, they are just now starting to put some effort into it. Doesn't bode well.

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  15. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Hi wdboyd, you don't have to craft - you could just adventure and buy your gear.

Caliya likes this.
  16. Carlin the Druid Archer

I hope you're taking good care of my Knights keep ;-) I had the roof so nicely decorated with crafting stations!

17. wdboyd

wdboyd Avatar

Hi,

Thanks Carlin, that is a relief.

18. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

no intentions on decorating it, tbh, i'll probably end up messaging you to decorate it later, like my house maid.

19. Carlin the Druid Archer

Haha, If you pay well I'll be happy to decorate. Perhaps 200,000 g.p.? I'll put in some crafting stations and stuff for you.

20. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

psfsfhsfhhh, 200k for decorations, hard bargain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.