Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

No motivation for crafting w/o a house

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by Caliya, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Why would they make any difference at all if they don't own a house?

2. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

You are right Rune_74, Would harm anyone that an avatar have a plot that only he/she could see (and decorate)?

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yous till require that lot in any online mode. There is no instanced housing.

4. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Personally, I don't think it would harm anyone. But some home owners believe it will hurt their profits if they want to rent or re-sell their houses.

It wouldn't hurt game profits though. Game profits are what interest me, because it helps develop the game.

Akro likes this.
  5. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Welcome to the game/forum/whatever it is you're doing.

Do you make it a habit to go around to various forums of other games to tell them why you won't be playing their games? Kickstarter was pretty clear about what would be in this game. If it didn't interest you, might I ask what brings you here?

Kaisa and FrostII like this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

I still support the idea of renting a (instanced) room at the inn.

7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

That is pretty much perfect.

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Just to pint out the obvious.
    Yes there is a lot of conveniance in crafting in a player lot. Yes there is a lot to the design/live in a house that people seem to enjoy.

Does this mean that the low/common pledgers will not get this?
    No.
    Just be social in the multiplayer world. There will be plenty of Player Towns and a guilds to join. These will have public an guild housing where anyone will have the chance to join in and use the utilities.
    There will definately be guild/teams of players sharing housing and thus getting access to stations with chest access etc.
    there will definately be projects where help is needed to decorate all these public/guild housing.

So if you think you will enjoy such but don't think you want to afford or spend enough to acquire your own then be social, team up with people, there are plenty who are recruiting.

For instance, on Lux Sanctuary there will be both public Crafters' Corner for anyone to use and some boarding houses for residents to use.
    We are definately recruiting any pledgers and will help you get a leg up and a home away from home.

9. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Cool way to include players, Spoon. Your town sounds pretty awesome and your logo is cool too.

Could you explain what you mean by "public housing"?

10. wdboyd

wdboyd Avatar

Hope beyond hope for the single player game. I pledged in memory of the Ultima RPG games I once enjoyed.

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  11. no_excuses_its_released

no_excuses_its_released Avatar

Trying to have a productive conversation with the elitist clique that has cropped up around SotA is a fool's game. You'll be as successful as trying to teach your dog to drive a car.

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL who is the elitist clique grimgryphon. I must have missed that. I will talk to anyone and go exploring, hang out, or dungeons etc. I always say friend majoria in game. :) **cheers**

Beli Mawr, Caliya and Kaisa like this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

First a tip. If you want to poke someone, then add an @ in front of the name. Then they get an Alert.
    So to light the Spoon beacon just do a @Spoon and I and my trusted sidekick teaspoon will soon be there.

Public Housing
    Right now in the testing phase we have been spoiled that we can always enter anyone's house and use their crafting stations. This will not be the case when advanced permissions is implemented.
    Then people can shut others out from their property.
    But public housing is the reverse of that. It is a private property where we set permissions for anyone to enter and use.
    You can see this upcoming system in the game by opening up the Permission dialog, it's not fully implemented but all the buttons etc are there.
    So if they implement it like expected, then we will place crafting stations in a lot where anyone can enter and use them. Plus add a few chests which only resident crafters or invitees can use.
    This so that any visitor can use the stations, but if you are a resident/invitee then you can also have chest access.
    (Yes I know we will be griefed every now and then by some who will clean out the chests, but it's worth it to provide something back).
    From the start these lots will be provided by me with no other expectation back than community building. (I will probably be living in the basement). And I'm not alone in thinking like that. There are plenty of good folks which will do similar stuff in their communities (as long as you are friendly).

14. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I'd love to see the permissions split between house and basement.

That way, I'd leave the "rooms for rent" upstairs - free stations, move stuff around, pick what you want from chests - and keep private my lair of mischievious unspeakable horrors underground.

$ chmod -R 777 /home/happy_rainbow_and_unicorns_hostel
    $ chmod -R 750 /home/abominable_pit_of_get_off_my_lawn

15. wdboyd

wdboyd Avatar

Salutations,

I wouldn't care to describe the SOTA developmental team as elitists of any kind. Of course, they are free to create the game in any manner they choose. But likewise, we players (pledgers) should be and are free to voice our concerns and disappointments in said developmental directions and priorities without being challenged for even frequenting the forums to voice said concerns. As I have been. I mentioned above that I was never interested in the multiplayer aspect of SOTA. I fondly remember the single player ULTIMA role playing adventure games.

I voiced concerns about SOTAs direction almost from the beginning. Those concerns were not in line with what the developers were progressively presenting. My frustration grew to the point of stopping my pledging at the "Explorer" level. That was a long while back. At one point, I wanted to gift my pledge to another out of total disappointment. That was before gifting was even possible. But, I maintain the hope of a good single player SOTA game. With that single player game hope, I kept my pledge level and check the forums every once in a while to see what is going on and voice my selfish frustrations.

I know... it's a waste of time but I'm a stupid and stubborn adventure, not a interior decorator, landlord, tanner or farmer.

I would have pledge hundreds more towards SOTA development if they would have offer +1 shields, +1 leather armor, +1 swords, +2 shields etc. But noooo. Here, buy a house. Oh, you need to by a lot for your house. Here buy a basement for your house. Here buy a bigger house. Oh, you'll need to buy a bigger lot for that bigger house. Here, buy some tanning tools. Here get these items so you can plant a garden. If your lot is big enough for a garden. Good grief. I had pledge for the games development but (as a player) I wasn't interested in such things. Therefore, I stopped pledging.

When I asked what the 'in-game' benefit housing will provide I was told housing was offered to obtain funding for the game development. That's fine. Now they are probably scrambling to make owning property more beneficial (profitiable) for SOTA players.

I proclaim that millions more would have additionally been raised by offering special armor and weapons for the players. We will never know now. All I know, is that I decided to stop pledging. Regardless, come on single player game.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@Salutations. Sometimes it happens and someone is not happy with the direction. At this time no one fully knows this. This will not be a gear driven game, it is a virtue game with a lot of story to it. Yes housing was a selling point, but by no means is housing
    the main thing the game will have to offer. I do not care at all, whatever gets this game funded is what is important.

I want this game to be the best it can be, so anyone who wants to buys a house please do and enjoy it. Housing not only at this point serves
    for a place to store things, a place to zone to, it also gives us something to do while testing the game features. We can have community events and contests, meetings, weddings, get togethers. This is very much a role playing game. Can you PVP yes, or you can craft and do
    PVE, can you do dungeons and control points, yes. Much is still being worked out. I do understand your concerns, you just want a certain element that you like in the game and worry it won't be here, housing isn't for everyone.

I do agree that housing should not be the only focus for pledging and I do hope that one day other fluff and stuff will find it's way to the
    market place for more funding. The worste thing I see for this game is to have to settle for a mediocre game because the budget was not there. That would mean to me things like 'oh no you mean we couldn't afford treasure hunting', or oh no you mean we can't
    afford boating and water and underwater adventuring', or oh no truly we can't afford the game items being as interactive as possible'.

I want this game to have its' soul, I want to find mysteries by fishing them up, or finding them on a dead body or thru
    conversation with an NPC, and I want to find cursed items and actually get cursed and have to find the cure, perhaps I've been poisoned and my character will wince in pain everyone once in a while until I find the cure with stat decreases. It is important
    to look at the whole picture. So while you may not want this game the way I mention it, I want this kind of game very much.

We can have all fluffy stuff and yes I have it too, but it will not hold us in the long run, I had it in EQ2, I had it in Archeage, and on and on. Those games can't hold me, they are missing the heart and soul, they are emptiness to me after a while.
    I want this game to be different, so I will rally for that every chance I get. Please don't think I am not belittling your points, they are valid, but hopefully you will not give up, unless you don't like this type of game of course. ;) So **cheers* to you fellow community member.
    I wish you a great journey, hopefully it will be with us.:)

17. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Indeed Spoon, PaxLair has always had plans for public crafting area's. We also have 2 guilds that will be providing public crafting areas in their guild houses.

We've had plans, for quite awhile now, to help offering housing options to those in need. We have an ongoing list of our non-lot owning citizens.

I think you'll find a good number of communities finding ways to help house those of their communities in need.

18. wdboyd

wdboyd Avatar

Salutations,

What you have said is reasonable. I haven't given up, ergo my return to the forums every now and then. *Cheers back at you*.

Caliya and majoria70 like this.
  19. G Din

G Din Avatar

In UO i never had to beg anyone to use their house, join their guild or player town to excel at crafting. All I had to do was mine, store ore in my bank space and work the brit forge. I was social at the forge meeting people , repairing their gear (without stupid kits) for tips and making full sets of armor.

What you describe is a dependence on towns and housing to excel. Especially if you start with 20 bank slots lol. Plus, in SotA people just start out with full towns compared to working for it , the way it was in UO. Complete joke.

20. G Din

G Din Avatar

Better game design starts everyone on even ground. Allowing advantage to form naturally, not from upfront $$ leading to an advantage from the start. Sorry my friend. They have got it all wrong.

It was more fun being a smith without dependence on housing , a guild or town. I could stand on my own 2 feet without dependence on such things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.