non target based combat , full loot pvp is so unpopular , so why life is feudal is place 1 in steam

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by baronandy, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Wrong conversation, maybe a different topic that would be fitting.

2. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Third place a day later already. I'm curious to see if it will still be in the top 10 a week after launch.

My guess as for why it hit first, in this specific case? Niche game with a small, but loyal, following, in the first hours and days after its Steam launch, coupled with how punctual Steam handles sales numbers. It's not unusual for indie games with such following to hit #1 in Steam for a short while; I've seen this happen with games of about every genre, from lighthearted 2D platformers to survival horror.

Mishri likes this.
  3. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

thats another thing but people are willing to donate money to an ealy alpha game which isn´t even out to support it. like in rust because they like the feeling of sandbox crafting and some kind of mount and blade combat in pvp

we will se what happens , i see this game more as a demo who like to test the mechanics and to support the developers bringing out the mmo.
    with 30 server all with a world big like in lif YO and 10000 players, it could be big fun XD

+ a physics based combat have potential but need to be done well, atm it is far away from chivalery quality but its an early alpha and it seems to be a bit grindy to get all materials.

on the other hand glorioa victis focus more on combat less on manipulating the world but houses are planned aswell. hope both games will make it and bid developer see that there is a market .

4. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I'm not sure there is a large market, but I do hope those games do as well as they can. And, since they seem to have appropriately sized budgets to the niche they are aiming at, I guess they will meet what their devs see as success.

(BTW, from what I've seen in the Life is Feudal forums, seems like their systems, and particularly the reputation system, are very harsh to brigands and murderers. Evolution is slow as molasses, and someone that freely attacks others will not only be shunned by the other players, when he dies he might lose so many skill points his character might to the level of a new character, or even lower. Health regeneration is far more realistic than in most other games, which means that even winning a fight might make you unable to fight for an extended period of time. And numbers seem to matter far more than the skills and gear on the character, so expect solo attackers and small groups to be mercilessly killed by larger groups of "non-combat peasants")

5. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

yeah this is true but its also prealpha and i asked the developer about the combat system , he told me its only a placeholder atm and far from being finished , hope they add a 1 click swing system

http://forum.gloriavictisgame.com/showthread.php?tid=6041

but physics based combat can be promesing, that is why a lot of people like to see it who like to do pvp , but it need to be done great.

btw being harsh to murders that they get a killcount and stats lost is something good , miners can mine and pvp people can concentrate on guild wars, but in my opinion it need to be possible to slaugter everyone in an mmo if you decide to , to stop a botting or just for the times you are a bit sick in your head, and that people have the feeling that they have to be a bit careful who to trust who not.

6. Luznad

Luznad Avatar

I would like physikal combat.... I dont like the Card System at all and there Must be other options..

7. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

i hoped for it too especially when sota offering a world which is instanced where it could have be done great (if there are separated servers for na and europe)

somehow i can´t enjoy the tab target autoaim system and forced questing ,i tried out archage because some of my friends wanted to check it out and my brain was suffering from fun undersupply and i had to play mortal kombat not to forget the chat is filled with botters only spamming gold sites

8. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

http://www.steamcharts.com/app/290080

lol over 6k peole playing right now , seems like it got sold very well , i think they already got there first million or more together. no clue if that is enough for an mmo maybe not , but it is a good start

9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It is shocking how much you have simplified it down to one facet as to why people would be interested or not.

10. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

i simplfy it down to sandbox game , every sandbox since ultima had loot , player driven economy and building structures . a lot of people are more interested in melee combat then in magery if it is well done madevil style

+ a feeling of uo , no lvl zones and open world pvp
    + physics based combat is in my opinion the recept uo players want to see

cant be so unpopulat if so many people got interest.

6k is a lot for prealpha with bugs and a placeholder combat system

11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You still have no idea what I meant.

12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Not too sure about that statement.

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Really? That was the only statement you weren't quite sure of?

14. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

You do know that is horrible numbers? Okay a peak on 6 417 online but under 2k as low and this is during the first week where a game like this normally have the most users, wait a few week and you will see those numbers drop. With this kind of poor numbers to start with I guess we will see huge drop to.

Edit:
    My guess is that SotA will get a peak on more than 40k users the first week after release.

15. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Andy bro,

The sad fact is physics based combat does not work for MMOs YET. Your solution for a European and a NA one doesnt even begin to cater to an MMO playerbase.

Its been repeated over and over the latency is just too much of an issue. I am sure in future as packet management improves then we will see that change in the future. Simply atm it just cant work with a central server(s).

Yes Life is Feudal looks interesting but it is a niche, and we will see similar games to these in the future until they get the combination right and most likely we will see this type of game being more common. The big developers will always have an eye on this trend.

Morkul likes this.
  16. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

You do know that is horrible numbers? Okay a peak on 6 417 online but under 2k as low and this is during the first week where a game like this normally have the most users, wait a few week and you will see those numbers drop. With this kind of poor numbers to start with I guess we will see huge drop to.

Edit:
    My guess is that SotA will get a peak on more than 40k users the first week after release.

i dont think sota had peak players of 6k in early alpha release 9 or any of the releases. both games are not released yet

lif isnt released and players donate for the alpha like in sota

its an ealy alpha test with most mechanics not being implemented yet , players mostly buy it as a demo to test it out permanently and help to give feedback and see it as a donation that the mmo is getting developed. mmo release is announced for late 2015.

17. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

in mortal online it works, the charge swings systems feels older and not as fluid as a 1 hit system ala chivalery but it still can be fun in an mmo when directional blocking is implemented ,mortal had (3 directions) you can block left right or mid

and they not have the best developers so i think more is possible. what they have solved fantasticly is a server located in finnland on the half way from europe to america , so everyone have an 80 ping instead of americans have 200 ping and europeans 30

see for yourself pretty big numbers and i have seen noone crash
    or lagging out extreamly

(a vid uploaded yesterday)

ok 1 hit system ala chivalery is more fun because reactional blocking over time can be used and advanced techniques. but remember mortal have 6 different hitboxes implemented (if they reduce hitboxes) maybe the swings and blocking could be improved. not to forget mortal is steamless open world, free building game

18. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Early access is still late beta while SotA still are in alpha so you can't compare the numbers like that.

Edit:
    Strange just read about Life is Feudal and it says "GAME IS IN EARLY ALPHA STATE". Thing is that when you list a game on steam as early release the terms clearly says that the game may not be in a alpha state.

19. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Wow, there's a lot of inter-personal sniping going on in this thread.

Locked for cleaning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.