Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

NPC Names That Are Off Color

Discussion in 'Release 25 Feedback Forum' started by Jivalax Azon, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Goldfinger came out in the sixties. At the time of release, there was no PG-13 rating. If Goldfinger came out in the '90s or today, it might be PG-13.

While I think the cat's name is fine and I'm not for censorship, I'm also concerned about taking an anti-PC stance. The only thing worse than being PC is being anti-PC. After all, I don't think any of you would want a dog to be called the n-word. If SoTA is to have success, it shouldn't be willing to alienate people just because it didn't care if it offends people. Generally, my rule is let common sense and decency guide actions. Common sense dictates the cat's name is fine.

Jivalax Azon and Budner like this.
  2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

3. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

Considering some of the player names I've seen, this thread is silly imho. Just sayin'.

Budner, Kara Brae and Weins201 like this.
  4. Willard

Willard Avatar

Menzies is an old Scottish name. I have friends with the last name of Menzies. And have been to the Menzies castle in Scotland. Never found the name offensive though.

Kara Brae likes this.
  5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Common sense is developing into a questionable phrase too, considering it's use politically in today's U.S. environment. Every off the wall proposal these days is prefaced by "this is a common sense solution". I am so mixed on the subject, that I could easily give "likes" to all the posts above. I miss the use of colorful language as a base for humor, yet am offended at times nevertheless. My position is a moving target that cannot be defined.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  6. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

*shrug* it is all just a social construct anyway, why be offended by any of it?

Aldo likes this.
  7. Rabum Alal

Rabum Alal Avatar

[​IMG]

8. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I guess it comes down to your immediate environment. If you and an obese friend are socializing and you comment that someone else is a fat pig, you have offended your friend unintentionally, but tragically. In this environment, even the word fat is probably offensive and should not be used. Now using the term fat as an adjective on the forum, or in public is up for question by many.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  9. Womby

Womby Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.