Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

NPC Names That Are Off Color

Discussion in 'Release 25 Feedback Forum' started by Jivalax Azon, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

It's actually spelled "menses".... :rolleyes:

Womby, Heradite, Budner and 8 others like this.
  2. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

You are referring to the correct term, not the slang. I am not pointing out the biological function, but the slang. Or a pronunciation of the slang, as the slang generally uses "s" instead of "z " as the cat's name and the common Scottish spelling. And the Football player.

Urban dictionary lists it here:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mensies

Can be found in derogatory manor here: (use some caution as these are mostly other forum pages and some discuss sensitive topics like unwed mother and women's rights.)
    http://madamenoire.com/225613/in-it...ays-he-went-more-than-a-decade-without-s-e-x/
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1041752&page=2&styleid=6
    http://makeawkward.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html
    https://disqus.com/home/discussion/...ten_stewarts_guantanamo_bay_drama_camp_x_ray/

and a ton more, but we can all do a google search if need be.

And frankly this topic has already had to much discussion. As a tester, I have a responsibility to report anything I see that might be a bug or questionable. I have done so. Do with it what you will, or nothing at all.

Love ya Firelotus.

3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I'll have to be honest and say that this a perfect example why we should not censor names, because this case is ridiculously obscure and would be an example of over-censorship.

However, eventually there will be some choice words used in titles and even titles that read like "user1 isa****". I assume a reporting mechanism is all that would be required, the same as with forum posts.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  4. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Many years ago in Australia we had a Prime Minister called (Sir Robert) Menzies. He was widely liked and respected. It's a fairly common name; as Lum said, associating it with anything biological is one enormous stretch.

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Leave the Australian overlord cat alone!

6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Would like a female vendor named Pussy Galore. That warranted a PG rating, in the 1990's, from the Motion Picture Association of America. Meaning it was OK for 13-year-olds 25 years ago, so I assume it's OK 25 year later in SOTA. Color me presumptuous.

7. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

Once again, I appreciate being made of fun of when I say something you all find stupid. I have also said I didn't have a problem with it, but that some might. I am pleased to see so many of us here have never run afoul of the PC Police and lost a job for some innocent remark that was taken the wrong way. And I certainly hope SotA does not lose any customer base because of something so silly. For all I care name your private in house pets any four letter word you can think of (like work, there's a nasty one). But if we are not to discuss something that we see as a possible problem, why post bugs at all? Why have the forums for feedback? You all know I have been here for over 2 years now and while I do get upset over silly things, I don't generally cry the sky is falling.

So if you are offended at me posting a warning about something that some might find offensive, bite me. Except for Ravicus, we all know he is a cannibal and I taste like ham.

8. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

It is indeed a common name in Australia. It is in no way more offensive than the word potato

Kara Brae likes this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I understand. People feel the need to pile on when devs post. Its the norm around here. Sad but true.

Jivalax Azon and ThurisazSheol like this.
  10. Rip Saya

Rip Saya Avatar

I won't debate this possibility. But in this case, it is a dangerous precedent especially since this complaint is way down the proverbial slope miles beyond reason. It is nothing personal to the poster, the idea is incredibly bad, not the poster. I seriously hope that cat does not get renamed. If I can go into an office workspace and say the word and not be able to use in the game, there is something wrong.

Screw the urban dictionary.

Bowen Bloodgood and Tahru like this.
  11. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Actually having re-read this OP and hearing the faint but familiar echoes of moral finger-wagging I find the notion of further political correctness, prim-and-properness, and reactionary victimless victimization to be probably the most offensive force facing our western society outside of actual terrorism.

In a world where everyone is taking offense to everything, it is the exact WRONG thing to do to err on the side of the people of the world who take offense to everything.

Failing that we will reach a point where humor and fun are condemned from the outset as forces of evil rather than sources of smiles. I'll choose the latter, every damn time.

12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

it is if you spell potato with an E...

actually it isn't that far away. many people tend to take extreme offense to anything that could potentially be offensive, even in the oddest contexts and when clearly not meant to be so. i think that was what @Jivalax Azon was speaking of when he posted. and it does need to be brought up, so he did.

several of us, it seems, think it is a non-starter of an issue for various reasons - and we've posted our opinions...sadly, some have posted them in ways that show a touch of disrespect to the OP, via a lack of forum etiquette, and he took offense to it. a bit ironic, but it does help him prove his point too.

sidenote: yesterday my 7 year old son and i were riding in the car, and he saw a billbaord with a word he didn't understand - he asked me: "dad, what is irony?" i responded with: "A Word."
    kid didn't stop laughing for the rest of the trip home.

i agree - although there's a time and a place for it, so most times i chuckle to myself and just wait for someone to ask me whats funny. *evil grin*

(ninja edit) - to quote a wise man: "Son, Don't worry... If you can't laugh at it, We'll laugh at you!"

13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Sorry friend, it was not you. I felt for your concerns. Everyone has a different tipping point. Since we are all adults, I think we can just overlook the titles that are not malicious.

14. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Wouldn't it just be better to name a cat Galore?

15. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Aren't you supposed to be DISCOURAGING this behavior? Say you taste like day old socks or anchovies or something. 8^)

Jivalax Azon, Tahru and Shira Saya like this.
  16. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Hmm.. I have been aware of the slang term, but I also agree that it sounds like a cute cat name. In respect to the OP, my first thought was to pick a Scottish Terrior to be named Menzies, or a koala bear when we add them to the game. :D

But really, I think it's true that 'menzies' isn't generally considered offensive or used offensively, even in the slang context, and the game isn't using the word in that context anyway. It's using it as a name, so any offense would indeed be 'reaching'. Anything and I mean anything, could be taken offensively if we're 'reaching', so I personally consider the line 'not crossed' in this situation.

Thanks for bringing up the concern @Jivalax Azon. Keeping us on our toes is a great thing. @Lum, don't feel slighted by this, it's an interesting discussion, and reminds us all what a complex job you do everyday as you work to make this a great game for us! ;D

Aldo, Jivalax Azon, Acred and 5 others like this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Sorry you felt made fun of for bringing up a concern. I have done it before and even been wrong about what I was bringing up, even though I now forgot what that was. ;) So a friend I have here likes to say Carpe Diem "Sieze the Day, Sieze the moment" and I say let's go for it. You brought it up and onward now.:)

18. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

+1 for Mensies. Completely appropriate. It is my opinion that the OP's argument is quite the stretch and is definitely reaching. That's like arguing that we should ban the name Richard too, because we all know that it coincides with that 4 letter male package nickname.

19. Ceara_Quein

Ceara_Quein Avatar

Remember the James Bond movie Octopussy?

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I've never heard the term "mensie" before but it reminded me of a person I knew in UO. His avatar name was Minstrel Pains (yes minstrel, as in medieval entertainer). Someone complained and the mods changed it to one of the auto-generated names. Sad.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    Heradite and Fister Magee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.