Oculus Rift Dev Kit 2 is out

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NoQuarter, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Avatar

Hi to all,

will there be a oculus rift support in SOA? The new dev kit can be preordered and will be shipped in june. http://www.oculusvr.com/

NoQuarter

Lord Albert likes this.
  2. 3devious

3devious Avatar

We didn't make the stretch goal but I would love to see this happen. A new interface would have to be built though. I hope we can get some good hooks into the software and be able to build it ourselves.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

The stretch goal was at 2.5mil. I'm pretty sure we have more than that :)
    Chris seemed really excited about it, too.

4. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Ordered mine today...not waiting six months like last time. Just four...hopefully.

smack and Lord Albert like this.
  5. smack

smack Avatar

I ordered one as well to play with. But I don't see official support happening until Ep2 at the earliest. The updated tech of DevKit is a step in the right direction but it's far from the desired goals of the final consumer version. DevKit 2 represents the bare minimum for an acceptable experience for some things but I highly doubt those specs will remain for the real consumer release. They'll continue to bump the capabilities, especially in screen resolution before it gets released. I don't see it being released until 2015, as they still have a ways to go.

licemeat likes this.
  6. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Hate to be the barer of bad new but no: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/stretch-goals.3470/

As for the OR, the team does have one, and will probably get version 2 eventually just to play around with since it's of interest to them. But I wouldn't expect to see support for it in episode one regardless.

7. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

actually when we hit $2.5 mil they stated they were going to spend the money is more optimum places.

8. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Yeah. I hope they open up the software so that we can take a crack at it. They've got some smart devs but I think we might be able to carry some of the load anyway.

sent from the future using my Coleco Adam

Time Lord likes this.
  9. DarkSharrt

DarkSharrt Guest

I haven't had a chance to try one out yet. How's the framerate with them? A lot of VR things I've tried are a bit "flickery" and tend to make me a bit queasy after a while. Also, it it very heavy?

10. Floors

Floors Avatar

We didn't make the goal by the end of the Kickstarter tho. Money that came in after that fact doesn't count.

11. 3devious

3devious Avatar

The original Rift had such low resolution that there was almost no lag with a properly optimized scene. There wasn't any flicker during my testing but you could still get simulator sickness with it. We're almost there with VR. Once we get a good seamless solution for input things will really jump off.

Time Lord and (deleted member) like this.
  12. DarkSharrt

DarkSharrt Guest

Thanks for the info, I'm excited. Please feel free to answer with "l2google" but I'm curious if there are any good resources out there for optimizing an Oculus Rift or at least a list of games that work really well on it. I honestly don't even know the ballpark of the price of them.

13. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

This community doesn't do "l2google." It's the internet and a forum...but it just doesn't happen here. There are a lot of demos people have made that work fairly well on the OR. Most of those are free. Everything from roller coasters, planet /space exploration, skydiving, etc...even the NES version of Zelda. There are ways to add a driver like Vorpx that will allow you to play full games like Skyrim and Far Cry 3. Steam has some games that will work natively like Team Fortress 2 and Half Life 2 (which is an amazing experience) and not much fooling around with the Rift is needed. They will start shipping the new Rift Dev Kit 2 in July for a price of $350. $22 for tax in US. I would start with oculusvr.com which is the official oculus website. Youtube has a ton of videos too. However, seeing videos and putting one on your face are two different things.

3devious likes this.
  14. 3devious

3devious Avatar

My favorite site outside of Oculus' forums is www.mtbs3d.com. Licemeat's advice is very solid. If you're desperate you might be able to pick up the old Dev kit for less because everyone wants the new one (not mine though because it was signed by the team.)

sent from the future using my Coleco Adam

Time Lord likes this.
  15. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I was a bit disappointed that they didn't clarify this point until after the money was raised. Many other campaigns kept stretch goals open if they continued to take in money post KS.

Eriador likes this.
  16. smack

smack Avatar

For those have have the DK1, what games or apps have you played with that's worth checking out? I recently played the Elite: Dangerous Alpha and it's pretty amazing. Can't wait for the Star Citizen dogfighting module, but it's unknown if that has Rift support. The Oculus share portal (https://share.oculusvr.com/) has some neat things but I haven't tried much of it yet. Titans of Space was cool.

It seems VR is best for experiences where your avatar is being moved vs. moving your avatar. So riding in ships, cars, etc. vs an actual avatar running around. The feeling of 'presence' is so much more pronounced that way as there's not as bad of a disconnect between your real body moving vs your avatar. At least that's how it seems to me anyways.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  17. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

You have my Facebook condolences.

18. smack

smack Avatar

So, enjoy it while it lasts! :)

19. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

Farmville 3 - Rift Edition!

On topic. I wish I did have it. Of course, I still have yet, after 20 years, to get over my pretty awful motion sickness when it comes to video games.

Hmm.. Still pondering on how I will play SC when it comes out...

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I will be waiting for some competitor to appear. For the next few years, at least, I will refrain from purchasing anything from Facebook or any company owned by them.

I'm looking at Myo - Gesture control armband by Thalmic Labs myself as far as control goes. Looks promising. Not going to purchase until it's a reality and there are detailed reviews telling what it can, or can't, do.

(I wonder if I can get a pair and use them to create an air guitar that actually plays :p)

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.