Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Ok, im sorry i know this is...

Discussion in 'Release 29 Bug Forum' started by tesyra, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesyra

tesyra Avatar

Ok, im sorry i know this is the wrong place to ask, but i couldnt find a "right" place, and i know this part o the forum is most active

I havent played a for a few months, and a day or two ago i decided to come back and see how things are

But my patcher will not upate, it has been stuck on:
    Updating The Game
    Downloading patch 0 > 414: 0%
    Download 0kbUpload 0kb

Its been stuck on that for close to 48 hours now, and of course this is very annoying as my desire to play is now 2 days old and is fading fast....

I have my patcher set to help seed game data - has everybody else turned this off or something?
    I have not switched my ISP during my absense, nor have i installed any security software that may be blocking this

Again, my apologies for using this subforum to get help, but i could find no other subfoum that covers actual problems or technical help
    If such a place does exist please move this thread there

2. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Are you trying to use the QA client?

3. agra

agra Avatar

Restart it. If it doesn't work, restart it again. Repeat as necessary.

I've had to restart the patcher many, many times to get it to 'start'. There's no need to seed if you don't want to, you can turn it off to eliminate it as a possible problem, but it's unlikely it's having any effect.

Ice Queen and Lord Barugon like this.
  4. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Well, you were close...The best place would have been the Blockers subforum of the R29 bug forum, which isn't too far from here.

My suggestion would be to disable the P2P option on the patcher, and see if that clears anything up.

Also, just for the time while you're downloading and installing the game, disable your security software (and do nothing else internet-related on your computer, just to be a bit more safe).

Alternatively, link your account to Steam and install it through Steam.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  5. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

The QA client doesn't go up to 414.

6. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

Ice Queen likes this.
  7. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

Besides the system specification to run the game, the following firewall ports must be open for the Launcher and Game Client to run properly.

Launcher:
    • TCP 5074
    • UDP 3544
    • UDP 6881
    Game Service:
    • UDP 5054
    • UDP 5055
    • UDP 5056
    • UDP 5057
    • UDP 5058
    • UDP 5059

8. tesyra

tesyra Avatar

Wow thanks guys more answers than i could imagine, and i cant figure out how to multiquote

So in order
    Ive no idea what the QA client is

I have restarted many times - when i said 48 hors i dint mean 2 days, i meant about 8-12 hours each day, i turn my pc off at night

I have now disabled p2p

Im looking into disabling security software atm, but i just use the microsoft one, i dont buy that ridiculous norton or mcaffee etc.
    It used to be called microsft security essentials, but now is simply part of windows 10, im not sure how it disables being partof windows itself now, but im going to look into that

I have never, and will neer use Steam, they just rip their users off by selling their purchasepreferencesa for thousands of dollars and in return offer their users virtual-peanuts

Im going to google how exactly to open ports, dont think i had done that before or ive done it and forgotten since (i can barely remember a month ago)

Just in case some of you think it is, its not my first time plalying this, i played from aroun r15-r22, i just got fed up of the wiping, so thought id leave it til nearer the no-more-wipe phase, which i know is not quite yet, but it is at least on the horizon
    I also wanted to make sure my game is up to date for when the house placement phases become active, didnt want to spend my 5 hour time slot for palcing my house just updating the game :)

9. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

If you go down in your start button, and search for windows firewall. You do not need to turn it off! Start by creating a new rule, the select program, it will ask what one you want so first select sota launcher, then click next and next then creat. this will allow the program to use all ports. Repeat with sota app. before you restart your computer, do a power cycle on your dsl/cable modem. then restart your computer.

10. Keyman

Keyman Avatar

I wonder if this is caused by the problem they seem to be having with servers. I don't know if they dropped some servers or what happened... but I'm finding it impossible to log on for more than a minute at a time, then I get dropped with server and connection errors.

11. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Maybe uninstall the client and redownload a new one from the website might solve the issue?

12. tesyra

tesyra Avatar

Just to keep everyone updated

I have made exceptions in the firewall with the ports posted
    I have left the entire firewall disabled for well over an hour (but now its back on)

Uninstaling and reinstalling seems the only way to go now, but that will have to wait until im not busy playing something else, ive wasted about 5 hours on this today, and many more over the last week and im missing my other games (because i havent been plaiyng them while trying to get this one updated)

Thank you all for your help, such a great community here, ive missed that

I will keep an eye on this thread but i think everything that can be suggested has now been suggested

Thanks again folks

Moiseyev Trueden and FrostII like this.
  13. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Do you have another computer on the same network to test the patcher on? Sometimes if I just leave it open it'll eventually start patching.

14. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Moved this to appropriate location.

Unfortunately you may need to reinstall

15. tesyra

tesyra Avatar

Well thanks for putting it in the right place, why is such a big name like you doing menial post moderation you should have lackies for that :D

Anyway just to update
    Nothing works
    I have uninstalled, removed any traces of SotA that didnt remove with uninstall
    For whatever reason it just wont download
    Ive tried everything suggested in the thread, ive rechecked, double checked and triple checked everything suggested
    Ive tried installing it on 4 different HDs (including my SSD) on my PC, no difference
    Ive tried donwloading some other games just to see if its my ISP/router/whatever, they all downloaded fine
    I can play other games fine too

For whatever reason i just cannot download this, it just sits at 0% for hours, even days (i broke my own rule and left my PC on last night) still 0%
    Ive gone from having two working copies of SotA (HD & SSD) to having nothing, and i guess we are all out of ideas now :(

16. tesyra

tesyra Avatar

OK ive buckled and i already hate myself for it
    But i tried downloading through steam and it worked fine
    Now i just got to figure out how to keep the installation and remove steam, but i'll never be able to unlink my acct from steam

I feel trapped by this. Standalone launchers should work and people should not be forced to provide revenue to corporations like steam
    For the record my objection is not that Steam shares my purchase preferences for thousands of dollars per month, its just that if my preferences are worth that i should be the one to profit from selling them
    Please excuse my mini-rant but i feel very strongly about this

Aldo and Fister Magee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.