Old PC, new game?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by morfiction, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morfiction

morfiction Avatar

I have a Dell Dimension E520 which previously ran XP. I've wanted to upgrade it to win10 for a while. I"m pretty sure it can run a 64bit OS as I tried with Linux Mint. Trying with win10 64bit didn't work out before a few months ago. I since decided the hard drive was dead and today finally got around to taking the files off a Kensington 60GB SSD I had just laying around and putting win10 32bit on it as a test. Yay.

Several games on CYRI say they won't run without 64bit OS. So it seems Shroud of the Avatar is one of those. Well, now I'm putting 64bit win10 on the trusty 8gb thumb drive. Wish me luck.

I wonder though. Anyway, Pentium D dual core processor. 2.79gHz processor speed. Right now 2GB of RAM though I plan on getting more later on. ATI Radeon 8250 HD GPU though the system insists it is a 7250HD. I have a "BlacX" hard drive dock thingie from Thermalake that has two hard drive bays in it to use regular internal HDDs or SSDs as external drives which i will use for putting games onto. I think its daft that my 11 year old desktop is 1.79ghz faster than my three year old laptop. :D

Time Lord and Acred like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

3. morfiction

morfiction Avatar

Golly. 8GB of RAM? It needs that much?

4. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

right now it needs more like 12 to 16 gb but 8 gb works and they'll be doing further optimizations to hopefully further reduce that... by the way, my system is much lower than yours and SotA runs (barely)... just get 8 gb of ram... goodluck and have fun in New Britannia... :D

Time Lord, Acred and Grizelda TheHag like this.
  5. Grizelda TheHag

Grizelda TheHag Avatar

I play well with a laptop i7 6gb RAM, SSD and graphics 4000 series, according to which scene, big cities owl's head or aerie takes its time but it can play, I am thinking a change him 1 RAM 2gb to one of 8gb and with 12gb and played very well on the desktop computer.
    u only need RAM.

a greeting, grizelda the hag +)

Time Lord, Acred and Kabalyero like this.
  6. Cobra101

Cobra101 Avatar

My experience is slightly different.
    I've been playing mostly on an i7 laptop with 8Gb RAM and Intel 4000 graphics. I'm on "Fastest" setting and while the game works fine I get a lot of disconnects (mostly when changing scene, using a crafting station , etc) and it cannot recognise the double-click hardly at all - I have to use "E". It cannot run a decent monitor at all and I have to resort to a 1920 x 1080 window. Scene loading takes forever.

On the occasions I switch to my desktop PC - i7, 16Gb RAM, Nvidia mid-range card. It runs on "Best" on a 34" 3440 x 1440 screen and double-click works fine. And I don't get the disconnects (which may well be timeouts on loading).

The RAM definitely matters but I think the graphics card makes a significant difference too.

7. morfiction

morfiction Avatar

Ugh. The installer for 64bit refuses to do anything but restart the PC. I read up on it and it seems I need to buy more RAM to get the installer to even consider doing an attempt at putting 64bit win10 on my PC.

I really don't like this kinda thing. 1's or 0's, YESes or NOs. A computer or software will literally spend all day choosing should it or shouldn't it do something. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade an old machine on the off-chance the software will be more willing to give me an okay on a single process... just so I can play some games on it. This sort of thing is more work than fun!

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

You're probably better off buying a new(er) budget laptop than spending money trying to get this one up to a level capable of running SotA. I have a HP ProBook 455 G2 with 8GB of RAM running Ubuntu which manages to run the game at 10-12FPS, it's far from an optimal experience but it's enough for a bit of mining. If this is going to be the only computer you're going to run the game on then you're going to need something with a little more power than that.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. morfiction

morfiction Avatar

Ooops. Kingston not Kensington for the RAM. i must have been thinking of a locking device for computers they used to use.....

Time Lord likes this.
  10. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

I know you don't want to read this:
    But do yourself a favor and buy a completly new machine at some point (doesn't have to be the best of the best).
    For about 500 bucks you can get already decent desktops that own your current setup by far.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I built a new computer back in November and paid about $500 to do it(sans the video card.) It's an i5-6500 3.2/3.6GHz, 16gigs DDR 4, 240gig SSD and an ASRock Z170 Pro4S Motherboard. It ran decent on Integrated graphics and the Fastest settings, but not great. I bought a Radeon Rx480 8gig GPU for about $220 and now the game runs much better, but even so, in towns like Ardoris or Owl's Head I will bog down to 6-7fps on Beautiful Settings. Most other places I can hit 30+ fps. So, basically a decent desktop for around $700, with the ability to upgrade to 64gigs memory, an i7 processor, and a better GPU, and more storage space in the future. Saved $100 by using Linux Ubuntu also. The game, currently at least, does eat up a lot of memory...I start off using around 8gigs and at a point i'm down to like 2.1gigs free memory. I've heard the memory footprint will drop by around 1gig in r40, but someone will have to confirm that.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4) System RAM: 15992
    GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics GPU RAM: 7816
    SDD: ADATA 550 240gigs

Time Lord and GrayFog like this.
  12. morfiction

morfiction Avatar

I really don't mind. I've looked at tons of PCs the last few months. They will say "Quad Core" and try to sweep the fact that they aren't over 1ghz or so of processor speed. Like, HUH? My PC is faster? Why don't they keep this information more public? Why do I have to hunt this information down?
    I don't have 500 bucks :D I am on a tight budget. If there was a guarantee I could install win10 64bit onto my machine after I invest $150 in DDR2 RAM (4X 2GB DDR2 RAM from Crucial) I'd do it. But like I said, its just one simple equation away from some stupid software saying "Okay, I'll do it" because I know for a fact I can run 64bit on this thing. But that doesn't make it capable of running games requiring 3 or more ghz.

I'll just for now stick with playing quite a few XP-era games I haven't yet played. Like Tomb Raider:GOTY 2013. :D

Time Lord likes this.
  13. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Not worth it.
    Keep your 150$, save it up, and someday you will have 500$ or even more to finally make an huge upgrade.

Ofc. saving up to 1000$ or so would be better :p

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Time Lord and Cobra101 like this.
  15. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Not to mention 'Faster' doesn't mean more efficient and using DDR2 doesn't help the situation.

Time Lord and Grizelda TheHag like this.
  16. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We have reduced the memory footprint in R40 considerably, so it should help here. Unfortunately the specs outlined in the original thread are far below what the game can run well, though it may still work, give it a try!

Time Lord and Kabalyero like this.
  17. morfiction

morfiction Avatar

Right now :D[/QUOTE]

Berek, those aren't my perma specs for the desktop. It's a process. I installed 32bit version because the 64bit wouldn't load. I realize now this was the fault of the dead hard drive not an indication that I needed to put 32bit version on as I did experimentally. That was a mistake. The PC refused the install of 64bit version because it had a 32bit OS install currently on the SSD card so naturally it refused.

The solution was to take the SSD outta the desktop and put it in the blacX hard drive dock to do a format which necesitated using the laptop as a go-between because I forgot a "clean install" was needed (DUH! on me...). Now I"m going to go back to using the Media Creation Tool to put a 64bit version onto the trusty thumb drive AGAIN (ony had to try doing the process ten times this morning before I read up on the errors on some old forum posts on a different forum). The desired effect is to have the freshly amnesiac SSD to accept the 64bit install graciously.

For now I'll only have a 60GB internal SSD in the desktop because its all I have lying around where as I bricked two HDDs by accident. I will PROBABLY get the following......

1.) a win10 license only after I am successful with the 64bit install. $80-$100.
    2.) 4X 2GB DDR2 Crucial RAM sticks to get to the requisite 8GB of RAM needed for SoTA AND also to get the most out of Hero Engine (I have a lifetime free license to that baby :D) plus also Maya (the 3D modeling software) .... but anyway max value is $130ish for 8GB or just get one 2GB stick for a total of 4GB which is $40ish.
    3.) a 1TB GB Transcend "drop poof/ military grade" external HDD to clone my laptop HDD onto (which is 500GB) as well as my 250GB backup internal HDD.... after that I'll put the 250GB HDD into the desktop to give it more storage.

Keep in mind #3 is a definite must. The first two are superfluous expenses so I'll have to wait til the Fall of this year before I can afford the upgrades this system if that is my final choice. So i'll probably won't be able to afford to play this game til then...... or if I buy a new custom built PC? Make it Jan 2018 tops. :D

EDIT: Forget 64bit. After staying up for hours until 4AM I still couldn't get the PC to accept the install. Guess its just going to be word processing/ web browser machine that only can urn old games. The only explanation is that the computer doesn't support hyper-threading. :(

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.