Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

On-Going Login Crash

Discussion in 'Release 29 Bug Forum' started by Kitty2, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

1. On-Going Login Crash, prevents from playing game online

2. 100% in online mode in Windows 64-bit mode (can only play in offline mode)

3. seems to be AMD Radeon processors; issue is occurring with multiple Avatars: myself, @Lord-Galiwyn , @Tychicus , @Caligastia , @lokki99 , all of whom share that type of processor

4. Upon entering Username and Password to play Online, Windows encounters the following error "Shroud of the Avatar.exe is experiencing a problem and must be shut down," and the game closes.

5. To reproduce, we need only try to log-in online again.

6. Please refer to my post from R28 Bug Forum to see User Specs and every step we have taken on our end to fix this issue: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/continuing-log-in-crash.49019/#post-548529
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This issue began in Release 25. I worked around it by playing in Windows 32-bit mode option, which while slow, allowed me to play. However, as of Release 27, this option has been removed since not officially supported. Understood. However, nothing else short of a computer upgrade for all of us, or Portalarium's complete focus to reduce memory demands on our weak processors to launch the game, would resolve this issue. I think it's safe to say neither of these solutions are feasible, as if we Avatars could afford it, we'd already have top-end gaming systems, and we know how hard you are working to meet deadlines.

Allow me to propose a simple solution? Re-introduce the option to play in Windows 32-bit mode. It would give us access to the game in development and placate us in the interim, and should for you Devs should be a "quick fix" that shouldn't be too much on your end that would allow us to play and let us enjoy your work until you get time to streamline and sort the memory demands keeping us out.

@Attenwood , @BurningToad , is this a feasible temporary solution? This is now five Avatars who cannot access the game properly, and I imagine there are more who just haven't spoken up. Please help us.

Humbly Yours,

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2016
  2. Lady Genesis

Lady Genesis Avatar

@Attenwood, I just upgraded my ALT account today and every time I attempt to log in I receive response The game crashed. The crash report folder named "2016-05-02_141148" next to game executable. My main account has no issue logging into game...

3. jocasta

jocasta Avatar

Lady Genesis are you still having this problem and if so ...can you get into the offline part of the game or it the whole thing that crashes?

4. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I can play offline, not online.

5. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

@jocasta , I read your Bug Report Forum Post, and it sounds similar to what we're experiencing.

Playing offline demands less of a strain on our processors, memory-wise, than online, which would explain why we can access offline mode more readily.

I remain hopeful the Devs can find a solution to this soon, so that the growing number of Backers becoming bogged down with this problem can rejoin the game.

6. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

Had some free time, and went back through the Archived Bug Reports back through Release 26, when this had begun. From what I read, it seems that at least 4 others were struggling with this issue: @Laurana , @Ponce2005 , @Derbs , and @Saoirse . Are any of you still having issues with accessing the online portion of the game? @Laurana was the one who suggested to me back then to play in Windows 32-bit mode, so that's why I'd hoped that'd be an easy remedy for us all.

Additionally, I found another post of interest. Someone noted that since R26, the game was making their AMD processors work extraordinarily hard and overheat! That post can be read here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-workload-on-amd-gpu-noticed-since-r26.45424/

I'm not sure if that is relevant to our issues, but I do know that all of us in the OP have AMD Radeon processors, so I didn't know if it would be of any assistance to solving the quandary here. Just trying to do my part to assist! ;)

7. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hello, I'm sorry that this issue has not been resolved yet. Thanks to Barnabas' and others investigation and information, it does seem like the problem has been narrowed down, unfortunately, I believe it has been narrowed down to a point that we at Portalarium have little control over.

The problem began on the patch from R25 to R26. This is also when we upgraded from Unity 5.2 to Unity 5.3. At the time, we did not realize that Unity 5.3 was much less stable than 5.2 for our project. It took us a while to realize that, and we kept hoping future 5.3 patches would help resolve crashing issues, but that hasn't happened yet. We recently tried to revert back to using Unity 5.2, but due to months of work and data stored in new formats, it doesn't appear that we will be able to go back. We have to hope for fixes from Unity, and need to do work to provide them with the best information we can about the crashes we have.

We have general, somewhat random crashes that currently occur in the game for all players, but the crash this thread is about is unique, in that it always happens at the same point after login to multiplayer, and also seems isolated to those using AMD APU processors. It is also strange that this only happens in 64 bit online mode, and not 32 bit. Unfortunately, we removed the 32 bit version of the game and do not support it because the memory requirements for Shroud of the Avatar exceed those that 32 bit operating systems can handle.

I did see a few callstacks of this crash, but it would be helpful to get some new ones in case it has changed with newer versions of the game and Unity. After the game crashes, please check your game directory for a log file and send it our way. Could post here, or send contents to me in a PM. Usual file location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar_Data\output_log.txt Also, you may find a folder in the game directory, with the name of a timestamp, such as "2016-02-24_150056". It would be even more useful if you could provide the entire contents of this folder as a crash report. If you can't upload them and provide a link somewhere, send me a private message and I can provide my email address.

Due to 32 bit mode being the only known workaround for this crash, I have uploaded some files that can be used for those that currently can not play the game due to this crash. If you do this, I recommend playing the game with the "Fastest" visual quality settings, as this reduces memory usage. Still, the game will likely crash periodically as it reaches the limits of 32bit addressable memory space.

You can download the files here: http://patchserver.shroudoftheavatar.com/sotalive/ShroudoftheAvatar32.zip

Here are instructions on how to use them: If you want to try it, keep in mind that making this change will cause any future patches to fail, at which point you would need to reinstall, and re-do the fix.... or change the files back to their original state before patching. However, there will likely not be any further patches until R30.

So first... back up the following files to some other location, and then delete them.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar_Data\Mono\mono.dll

If you are using Steam, the root directory for the files would look something more like this:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SotA

Now, take the files from the downloaded zip and put them in the same locations as the files you just moved out.

Then run the game. This should run the game in 32 bit mode (should have a 32 in the top left corner.)

I'm sorry that this is the best we can do for now. Please do keep posting any information you think is relevant ,such as if anyone has this kind of AMD processor but does not crash, or detailed computer specs if you do crash, with driver versions, etc.

8. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

Thank you, @BurningToad - it's nice to see that our calls for help are indeed heard and addressed, to the best of your ability, and you are doing your best to work with us to help us play until a more permanent fix can be found. Your time and attention to this matter is very much appreciated. :)

We will continue to share information of our issues, of course. Please keep us apprised if a fix from Unity comes down the line that will allow those of us with AMD APU processors to play online in normal mode!

Thank you again.

AvatarGG and Jack Knyfe like this.
  9. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    Barnabas Root likes this.
  10. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

I'm happy to do this, but I have been advised several times by support and by forum moderators here that these files are automatically sent to you... is this not the case?

11. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

I will make a point of doing this, Link! Great idea, thanks! :D

Link_of_Hyrule and Lord-Galiwyn like this.
  12. BurningToad

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  13. BurningToad

We do automatically get many different kinds of error logs, but crashes are a bit different, especially generated crash dumps. We do not get those automatically. Also, I'm specifically interested in data about this specific crash (right on multiplayer login) with AMD processors. The other more random crashes I think we have enough data on.

We did make some progress talking with Unity today, so we have hopes to get these addressed.

Link_of_Hyrule and Barnabas Root like this.
  14. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

I'm sure I speak for all of us following this thread when I say we appreciate your on-going hard work and efforts. We in America are known for over-use, even abuse, of adjectives, but I believe I am right to say you all are truly AMAZING in the arts of multi-tasking and customer service! :D

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  15. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I belive i found out my problem..I have an AMD single core cpu, so i believe that is my specific problem.

16. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

I guess my question is, is there some way that I play SotA now with my laptop that has an AMD processor ?? I have not played the game on this laptop since Release 26 so that is why I was asking. I have read all the forums on this AMD situation and tried them all I believe, which makes me wonder if there is some "Temporary" fix or such ??

17. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

Forgive me if I missed the answer to this previously, but doesn't the Windows 32-bit workaround allow you to play, Tychicus?

18. jocasta

jocasta Avatar

Yep Still having this issue...I hope someday to see the world you are working so hard on.

19. mach.usa

mach.usa Avatar

I just purchased the game today and downloaded it, so excited to find out I can't play on online mode , it crashes right after I type ID and password to connect to the game...as I read I'm not alone on this...any solution so far ? ... I am using AMD but my pc passed the game computer requirement for this..and now cant play online T__T

20. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

try playing through Steam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.