Only allow ghosts to be damaged by magic

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Hemswal The Descended, Dec 18, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

Ok, no problem :)

2. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

Please, oxygen is what makes fire possible, without oxygen, you can't have fire! Fire Education 101!

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Air and oxygen aren't synonyms ;> And with Gust, we're talking specifically about wind, not simply air;>

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Avatar

Why is "pure physics" logic being applied to magical damage, out of curiosity? Sure, water is put out by fire, fire needs oxygen, etc - but if physics mattered in the rationale, then it would be literally impossible to kill a fire elemental with archery. The carrots you are lobbing at it are made out of wood - itty bitty thin pieces of wood! Kindling! Firing arrows at earth elementals should be utterly pointless. But Aji! you cry. Our weapons are magical!

So?

The bolts of power I am throwing are pure magic given form by my Will - formed out of nothing but my pure bullheaded Focus. My spells are inherently "more magical" than anyone's bow or sword. Yet me throwing ice bolts at a fire elemental "doesn't matter because it's made of FIRE" hurr hurr, fire melts ice - and I get no credit for that ice being magical? Only your sword gets credit? That's purely ridiculous. Either embrace a real physics model entirely and let archers have a serious problem with anything hot, tanks can't touch ghosts, etc - or let magic be magic already, and implement a system of opposites like this is a fantasy game.

5. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Ghosts are fine as they are.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Heh :>

Anyway, from my perspective, it shouldn't be an issue of choosing between going with real physics or with implementing a system of opposites. It should be making magic function in a way that seems as expected and intuitive to the player. That will make it more fun and enjoyable in the end IMO, and would include borrowing from both approaches.

That's why I suggested Gust having an effect on Fire Elementals, because a player would expect a gust of wind to effect a Fire Elemental. As for ghosts, its not quite as obvious, but spirits have been quite literally treated as made up of an aether lighter than air -- exorcism involves fumigation -- and I think from the players perspective it might feel logical and be enjoyable to see Gust effect ghosts.

As for physical damage, its the main reason even though I acknowledge Earth lore that I think making physical attacks useless or weak makes some sense... simply because players don't expect their swords to be able to hit ghosts without some sort of enchantment.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  7. zerothis

zerothis Avatar

I say never _require_ magic. Require specific equipment sure, such as silver. A hardcoded requirement of magic is actually very rare in games that allow non-casting characters. I think that is for a reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.