Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

OS X: SotA client hangs entire system when entering Owl's Head

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Widsith [MGT], Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Client locked up, apparently with interrupts disabled, since none of the OS/X level functions (F3, F4, etc) worked. Reboot necessary to restore function. Happened while entering Owl's Head, with "New Location..." message on screen, partly painted in white and part in black.

Hitching in POTs and on overworld is just as wretched as in last few releases. (Is client touching files in any folders other the /Applications and /datafolder?)

@BurningToad @Chris

2. Floors

Floors Avatar

switch to using -force-glcore to work around the metal driver.

Hitching is bad since this driver and R58. Especially if you're on Mojave. When you first go into a scene, just pan around until the scene has loaded for the first 30 seconds ago and after that it's more playable.

3. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Able to get into OH on second try, when it is no longer a new scene.

4. Floors

Floors Avatar

It's obvioulsy different for diffferent people on different configs, but that's what I have to do to even play now. YMMV.

I am pretty sure they don't have a big Macintosh test bed at Port.

5. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Got into North Valeway and thru New Scene banner without issue.

I might have figured this one out. I have the /datafolder (~/.config/Portalarium) aliased to a SSD, and somehow that alias broke. I repaired it between the first hang and the reentry to OH above. If that's correct, it may mean that a write/read associated with recording new scenes is being done improperly, where a failure leaves not just the thread but the app and OS hung.

ETA: The new scene add was working properly on QA, since I went to visit Krampus a couple times.

Alley Oop likes this.
  6. Floors

Floors Avatar

It's a different issue to the one I have then. I don't have any weird aliasing like that going on, And my game will crash within the first 10 minutes each time no problem, regardless of scenes, unless I'm on Glcore driver.

Good luck.

7. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

I've now visited a POT (Wightwick), PRT (Holtrot) and game Town (Kingsport) without issue, so maybe that was the fix.

8. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

We have 2 macs that we test on, Starr's Mac Book (brand newish) and an 3 year old trashcan mac that Dr. Bob uses. We do get a fair number of mac users on QA probably because they know we don't get very good coverage on the Mac before release. :)

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

Understandable. I'm on a 2017 Retina iMac. All my problems co-incided with the relase of Mojave. Unfortunately I needed to upgrade to it for other software I run. Or I'd go back.

10. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

I'm on a late 2015 Retina iMac. I'm back on OS 10.12 Sierra because of all the problems reported with Mojave vs. games (not just SotA IIUC). Just upgraded by day-to-day laptop, so I'll see how that goes for a few months.

Beaumaris likes this.
  11. Silberfarn

Silberfarn Avatar

Hello,
    I can confirm that the current R61 release runs on OsX Mojave WITHOUT "-force-glcore", i.e. using Metal. Please make sure you upgrade to Mojave 10.14.2. It was released last week and solved ALL hitching, crashes etc I experienced under Mojave 10.14.1.
    @Chris

Beaumaris and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  12. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

Super good to know thanks! Will give it a shot next time I have access to a Mojave machine.

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

Oh, I wish I'd seen this earlier.

Yes. 10.14.2 does allow Metal to run properly. Huzzah !!!! It's quite a bit nicer than glcore so super happy this 4 month problem is over.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Undone likes this.
  14. Silberfarn

Silberfarn Avatar

Hello Undone,

I made this post
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...4-2-seems-to-fix-crashes.147484/#post-1185169
    last week and tagged @Chris. Sorry for not tagging you. Why wasn't this important information conveyed to you as it resolved a VERY debilitating bug for SOTA? I think it would have deserved mention for the sake of all three (? :) ) Sota-Mac Users in the release notes for R61. Did I post it in the wrong forum?

Cheers,
    Silberfarn

15. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

Chris unfortunately gets a bajillion tags a day so it's not guaranteed that he will see it. I am the guy in charge of all the Mac bugs and I missed this post entirely so feel free to blame me =). Either way it's good to hear that 10.14.2 resolves the issue for those who have tried it. My workstation here currently runs High Sierra so my Mojave testing has been limited.

gamagodomo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.