Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Owl's Nest Mine Nerf

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Jace3, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

@DarkStarr Please rethink this nerf. Lowbies/newbies need the ore from this mine to get themselves outfitted with weapons and armor. Reducing the spawn defeats that process. Players with low levels of combat can't just go rush into any of the larger mines they won't survive.
    My idea is rather than lower the spawn to the point it is now, almost to the point of closing it down, make it a little tougher to warrant the old spawn rate. Maybe make the wolves a higher level or make them respawn or increase the numbers?
    I have 66 polearms and in NPC chainmail each wolf can take me down 1/3 of my health. If I attack the bandits and get 3 of them on me my health goes down over halfway. I know you don't have to kill the bandits but doing so helps offset the cost of fuel to process the ore and blacksmithing.
    All I ask is that you consider changes like this to make this mine worthwhile to the lower lever player.

Xander Xavier and Ice Queen like this.
  2. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

A low level place with a huge amount of ore was terrible, and me ( as a crafter ) Liked the change. But that is just my opinion.

Keep as is.

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

The lowbies that need to mine in owl's nest for weapons and armor don't have the crafting skill to make them (me included). You don't NEED crafted gear.

margaritte, Derium, Alexander and 5 others like this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Yep low levels areas need not have so much ore - scalled to risk vs reward - great move sadley already 3 days to late.

Net, Alexander, KuBaTRiZeS and 2 others like this.
  5. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Owl's Nest is fine. If the spawn was any better it would be the best non-silver Mine in the game.
    Lowbie Miners with crap pickaxe, no skills, and no buffs can get in, and mine it slow enough to get 2 loops before they outpace the spawn.

Personally, I wish they would keep Owl's nest as the lowbie mine that is is, and add another mine that similar to Etceter but instead of Massive Gold + good Iron + tiny copper + gems it would be Massive Cooper + good silver

6. Phil Scott

Phil Scott Avatar

+1 on a additional mine (lots copper + good silver)

7. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

What I said was if they increased the danger, raised levels of wolves or made them respawn but kept the old level of node spawn that should make it better and more acceptable.
    To those of you that think newbies/lowbies don't need crafted gear I ask why not? Are we to remain in hidden vale all our lives and not prepare for the future? Crafted gear lets us live a bit better and longer in battle. So why shouldn't we have it? The only way to raise crafting skills is to train them up with mats we gather. Isn't that part of the process to being better?

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  8. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

Let them increase the danger then and maybe even make the mine a little larger.

9. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

I didn't have any skills like everyone else in the game when we got here Thursday. Because of the mine I have been able to raise my mining, smelting, and blacksmithing skills now to make some items of value to me.
    I don't really know about all of you that play this game. I have always trained crafting first to allow myself to go into higher danger areas and survive.
    No maybe you don't need it but if you want to live and fight another day having crafted gear helps. Plus I take pride in wearing armor and weapons I have made instead of some NPC. To me it is part of the way I play the game.
    What the rest of you are telling me is you don't play the game this way so we don't need it. Not all of us play the same and the game should accommodate all of the ways we play.
    I am not asking for a free ride in the mine I suggested that the mine danger be raised and the spawn kept the same as it was. How is that bad? Hidden Vale isn't just for newbies some of us will live on the island because we just like it.

10. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

So buy some?

Derium, Alexander, Cally and 3 others like this.
  11. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

You can't have it both ways.

It about balance. Owl's head could either be a good place to mine for lowbies with a long respawn and little risk or a good place for higher levels with more risk and better rewards. Not both. As it was once I got to mid skill level in mining I could walk out of Owl's Nest with 100s of ore risk free in as little as 30 minutes. Tell me where can you find a scene for cotton or wood like that. Answer you can't. It definitely needed a boost to risk or a "nerf" to drop rates.

I myself brought up this imbalance month ago and am glad they finally fixed it. Should of happened a while ago.

Cally and Alley Oop like this.
  12. Gix

Gix Avatar

How are low-level characters supposed to GET to Owl's Nest in the first place? The boat that gets you to the Hidden Vale is nowhere near the starter areas.

Cally and enderandrew like this.
  13. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Consider that the spawns at Owls Nest were (presumably) unchanged from the days when it was a full multiplayer scene and you had competition. I've been putting in quite a few hours in there lately, and I don't feel like there are less spawns than there need to be.

14. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

i hope that someday, mines in sota will get bigger and bigger as they are mined over time so that you have to travel farther to get to the nodes.

Derium likes this.
  15. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

The nerf wouldn't really be so bad except every adventure scene you go into that's not a mine has very few of any type of nodes you'd be there for, scenes need a lot more nodes than what are in them at the moment. Having one type of tree to gather from a multitude others that just are there to fill the scene up is quite annoying and needed fixing a long time ago, heh. Patiently waiting for some love to all gathering and adventuring scenes on this subject.

16. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Agreed. I'd like to see a "starter mine" added in the three starting areas of the mainland.

17. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

Depending on the main quest we will eventually end up choosing, if you start out in Highvale, like I did it is just a hop, skip, and a jump to hidden vale. I got there pretty easily taking the boat at Brittany to Kingsport.

Rilman, Jivalax Azon and 4EverLost like this.
  18. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

I don't want it both ways. Right now the nodes have been pretty reduced and that almost makes the mine useless. Before I would see it remain that way I offered some changes to make it more useable. increasing the spawn, raising the spawn level. I don't know what level you were when you mined 100's of ore I have never been able to do that because of the weight factor. The mine does need a boost to risk I agree. I would much rather have that then the nerf they have done and make the mine pretty much useless. Why do devs always go for nerf than a better fix?

19. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

How is that going to help me? So I never learn to make any armor or weapons and I have to be dependent on others to make my gear? Well someone has to mine and craft it just so happens I enjoy that part usually. Just being a consumer isn't my way.

20. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

Why was it terrible I don't quite understand. Yes they could have cut it back a little not like they did.

Xander Xavier likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.