Pay to win confirmed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Humbert_Humbert, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

I can now buy experience, gear and gold for real life money.

How is this game not pay to win?

"So our position is that all RMT activity (gold, items, services) is allowed in Shroud of the Avatar, as long as it follows a few simple rules:"

Xandra7, Sorthious and Tetsu Nevara like this.
  2. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

no it´s not! Portalarium doesn´t offer the service, it´s a player who decided to do it, you can buy it in all mmorpgs throught external websites.

Elwyn, Toodles and Nikko like this.
  3. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

That's the standard? Not whether you can do it but who profits?

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

So is this allowed now or not?
    At first it was allowed, then it was forbidden and no it seems that it is allowed again? I am confused...

Sorthious and Cordelayne like this.
  5. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

There are people that have offered to power level other players for 15 dollars per million experience. To put this in perspective, to purchase a tax free city lot bundle on the store is 3200 dollars. For this price you could get 213 million experience in power leveling for the price of some real estate in the game. On average that much experience would provide you with between 50 to 150 grand master skills.

You try to play a game where at least the rich don't have an advantage, only to find out that money does buy everything, even in virtual space.

Sorthious, Nikko, Nelzie and 3 others like this.
  6. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

7. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

If you search for Elo boost for League of Legends or powerleveling for Diablo, WOW, ESO, despite of being prohibited you will find several websites, it will happen anyway

Elwyn, Sara Dreygon and Mac2 like this.
  8. oplek

oplek Avatar

It doesn't make sense to apply. The concept of paying for XP is not even coming from the company or game.

It'd be like saying that, if I pay someone to beat Minesweeper for me, that Minesweeper is "Pay to win".

Elwyn, Nikko, TranZdog and 8 others like this.
  9. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

As I wrote on a previous thread this will be a huge PR problem for Port going forward regardless of the rights and wrongs of individual cases.

Wish I had a gif of someone shooting themselves in the foot. Oh well...

Xandra7 and danjacobsmith like this.
  10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The real thing is, you can only get leveled as fast as the player who is doing it can go. That person had to get there just like everyone else, by playing. So, the person will never reach a higher level then what is attainable by everyone. It still takes time, it still takes exp away from the seller and it has limits by what the seller can do.

11. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Good to have some clarity on the issue. There is NOTHING wrong with RMT and this game. It's why many of us are here! Make the game less grindy, and that might change some opinions! LOL! It's best out in the open, rather than on shady websites.

12. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I can't see how any MMO cannot be considered PTW if you consider "paying another player to help you level up" as PTW. It's nearly impossible to stop that from happening in any game.

Elwyn, MasterWan and margaritte like this.
  13. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

It was always permitted, it was a misreading by community support that temporarily had it halted.

213 million experience will still take you over 213 hours. During this time you would presumably be good enough to get a similar amount of experience yourself. A City lot Bundle at least you can sell down the road however. Your experience is stuck with your character. Though maybe you can sell the character for something.

What you are buying here is someone else's time who is more powerful than you, to follow you around and kill things for you, or for you to follow them around. It's not something I'd care to pay for, I'd rather get my xp by playing the game than watching it, but I've not done much grinding anyways.

As to the OP> Regarding your Clickbait title. In any game in the world you can pay someone else to play the game for you, or give your their stuff. P2W is something like paying Portalarium for attack speed boost, or weapons that can't be otherwise attained in-game. Engaging in trade with fellow players for their time/gold/services/property/drops etc. is not a P2W game.

The fact that I could go buy someone's Ultima 7 save-game so that I'm at the end of the game instead of the beginning doesn't mean I will go do it. Or that it is now a P2W game.

Elwyn, Sara Dreygon, Retlaw and 4 others like this.
  14. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

@Joe Zhudarak The difference between games that you mentioned and Sota is that if I get caught boosting someone in LOL I lose an account that was free with little attachment. If someone gets caught boosting someone in this game they would lose thousands of hours of progress.

My point is the risk of losing an account with countless hours in Sota would be enough to deter most people.

Xandra7 and danjacobsmith like this.
  15. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.