People laughing on mmorpg at character animations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rufio, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufio

Rufio Avatar

i dont know why the people on mmorpg think the caracter animatios look bad,it looks like normal animations of a warrior,i ecspect the caracters to act just as good or better than the caracters in skyrim.

BillRoy likes this.
  2. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I'll eat their hearts.

3. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

What I loved about the animation is the realism. Imagine an imaginary axis from head-to-toe of the male avatar swining his axe. His centre of gravity doesn't move. His stance is balanced.

Not that the WoW fanatics on MMORPG.com would ever understand...

RelExpo, licemeat and BillRoy like this.
  4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

A lot of people are a-holes. I'm sure none of them posted links to show thier CGI/cartoon, video game characters with better animations. If they did have something better, with crowd sourcing RG/LB would pay them for it. If they don't have a check from Portalarium then they are just barking trolls.

licemeat, RelExpo and Tizon like this.
  5. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

I think the demographics for SotA and the active members of that site are waaaay off. As was mentioned by @Dean478, realmism is the key to SotA's animations. Although.....

I do think it would be better to have an animation of the Avatar doing his/her attacks (possibly more than just one as well) in the actual game to an enemy instead of him/her solo. It would add more to the scene I believe.

Regardless, I can see previous "anomalies" with the female archery have been fixed here. Great job Devs!

BillRoy likes this.
  6. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Who cares what a bunch of MMORPG adicts think of a game that isn't even an MMO.

They obviously don't know what they are talking about.

You could give me a motionless stickman, I'd be OK with it.

[​IMG]

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I find a screenshot from the time of legends to be strangely appropriate in some relation to SotA. :)

Edreamer _MGT470 likes this.
  8. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Bah, who cares what they think!

9. Donferth

Donferth Avatar

+1 To Rel and Arkhan.

The animation my wife and I saw were really good. More strikes may have looked better and something to be hitting as well, but yes it did look very realisitc which looked nice. Can't wait to see what the fluidness will be for any kind of combo hits or just maybe different swings to change it up a little for the realisitc value, but I know, were not there yet. Just anxious to see what is next. MMORPG guys I have noticed in the past like to troll. And heck for the very first animation release let em laugh. Once its up and done their lawling is gonna change real quick and their gonna be on the "I was with them the whole time!" bandwagon. Its how it always goes. Pay them no mind Rufio and let your mind be at ease.

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm happy to say I really was/am with them the whole time. Registered here on day 1 and quite pleased about it.

That said.. I'm not sure how I feel about this animation. I'm hoping it's not a reflection on what the lower body is going to be doing. The character doesn't step into the attack.. he's just standing there.. not only does it severely limit his range but it also makes him a target.

Still.. I'm not going to judge the game based on one or two animations and I'm not getting any less excited about playing it when it's done or being a part of it now. Combat animations are never going to be completely "realistic" because combat in games aren't (and shouldn't be) completely realistic.

mike.bronner likes this.
  11. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Bowey why can't you just state the following:
    "Combat animations are never going to be completely "realistic" because combat in games aren't (and shouldn't be) completely realistic."

Then just leave it at that, that is a totally logical and positive support for SotA. So why pump out a bunch of stuff before that including a negative critique on the animations, then say it doesn't matter?

BillRoy and RelExpo like this.
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I didn't say it doesn't matter.. and feedback is feedback. It's one of the reasons why we're here. Just because I had a critique on the animation doesn't mean I'm being negative. Did I say anything like "oh this is stupid."? No. It's just what I thought about that one animation. How useful is it to anyone is all we ever do is tell the devs how great everything is?

If we have reservations or don't like something and can articulate why in a respectful way then we need to do that. It's up to the devs how to take it and if they use that feedback to make a better game. If they make a better animation or include a new animation that improves how combat looks cause I said something.. very cool for me. If they don't find it useful for whatever reason (ie upper and lower body will be animated separately) that's fine too.

They've been asking for feedback. So I'm given an honest response. If I come out making rude comments like "this is stupid I can't believe I pledged for this" THEN you can get on my case about being negative. Until such time I will continue to offer my opinions be it praise or critique as I would hope others would do the same for me were I in their position.

Donferth and RelExpo like this.
  13. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Herein lies the key concept.
    If it is too realistic, then it actually loses some aesthetic appeal. That is also why in most games, weapons are exaggerated. The animations have be aesthetically appealing, particularly on a subconscious level. Humans are a visual oriented animal, hence "A picture says a thousand words." People are going to judge based on their first impression, that is where the graphics are all important. To make a good first impression, then the graphics need to avoid looking dated. I believe a key component to be appealing is the fluidity of motion. Watching combat in 'Dark Souls' is pretty cool, and I believe they are improving the graphics in 'Dark Souls II'.

licemeat and BillRoy like this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Indeed.. I would say the first rule in combat (and combat animation) is that it must be entertaining to watch. The same principle applies to stage combat.. what we see on TV, in movies and live performance. While I prefer moves have a basis in reality (rather than simply trying to look cool) you still need to make sure the audience can understand what's going on. This typically means exaggerated movement, adding some flare to a move etc.

In realistic combat it's all over in just a handful of moves and a lot of those moves are both small and fast. Not very entertaining as in a lot of cases you can't see what's going on or have much time to process what you do see.

BillRoy and RelExpo like this.
  15. ArcanumVeritas

ArcanumVeritas Avatar

Feedback is necessary to produce a better outcome.

Like the feedback on the reverse grip on the female archer. I personally would like both animations, one for each style (fast shot verses power shot).

I agree with Bowen, that the combat movement of the lower body will limit both power and range, so maybe the animations can alter with skills / combos (already been discussed). And as Dean pointed out, this is a balanced stance, so again, may vary by stance (if such things exist), though it does look a little flat footed.

As long as we are civil, and our interests are supporting a great game by trying to make it better ... /shrug

16. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Your character doesn't need to prance around like he's trying out for West Side Story or Cats. If you can move while you are fighting, like going back and forth and/or strafing then his legs should move like if he was moving not in a fight, maybe more crouched as in simulating a fighting posture (like in the video) . This is how it's done in almost every modern game. That alone should take care of footwork, adding anything more can only mess things up (if you care about that kind of thing) making your toon glide, skid or seem floaty and not connected to the world.

17. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

If this had been posted in a thread created in the Dev+ forum where they had requested that feedback, then your post would have been more appropriate. This is kind of a troll post where the OP can't even deem it fit to capitalize, this isn't the place. Obviously.

18. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

Just wanted to post that I fixed the misspelling in the title because it was bugging me....

Next, LOL at West Side Story. I doubt that's what we're aiming for. As long as jumping, shimmies and shiv'ing with a knife ala WSS aren't in SotA as well as standing on heads ala Darkfall video (posted earlier but not looking for it now), we should all be quite happy.

Bowen Bloodgood and BillRoy like this.
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Having looked at the video again.. I personally think the feet move too much. The stance itself is fine but the feet should remain planted if he's not taking a step.

I do agree with the archery animation. It would be nice to have both. Just because the first was a rapid fire technique doesn't make it a bad animation.. just not appropriate for standard shooting. Having the rapid fire for archers would be cool.

Edit: Assuming footwork will be done as separate animations you can really cover pretty much all footwork with about a dozen or so steps.. or less.

mike.bronner likes this.
  20. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I think the small details will be washed out once there's scenery and an enemy to fight against. Now there just isn't anything else to focus on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.